Archive for Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Woman arrested topless accepts settlement

June 19, 2007

— A woman arrested for exposing her breasts has accepted a $29,000 settlement from the city, her lawyer said.

Jill Coccaro, 27, was arrested on a topless stroll two years ago, despite a 1992 state appeals court ruling that concluded women should have the same right as men to take off their shirts.

Coccaro, who now goes by the name Phoenix Feeley, remained in custody for 12 hours before she was told prosecutors were not going to pursue charges.

Her attorney, Jeffrey Rothman, told the Daily News that his client won the civil rights settlement from the city, which did not admit or deny wrongdoing.

"We hope the police learn a lesson and respect the rights of women to go topless," Rothman said.

Feeley told the New York Post that she was not treated well after her Aug. 4, 2005, arrest in Manhattan's Lower East Side section.

Comments

gr 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey Jonas,

Must be an inside running comment. I've seen some people answer the question of why are male and female genders supported evolutionarily AFTER they came about, but I have yet to find anyone answer the question as to why male and female genders came about through evolution. What kind of evolutionary reason would be to cause separate sexes?

Bubbles 6 years, 10 months ago

tanzer (Anonymous) says:

bubbles, women have large breasts so they can produce milk to feed thier young - thus shirts off for easy feeding is logical and good:whoohoo shirts off! ?????????????????????????

Wrong tanzer.

smitty 6 years, 10 months ago

Large breasts!! Where? Did I miss the photoshoot? Damn it, I love looking at large breasts. Where is this? Oh, New York. Damn, missed out again.

Anyone remember the strong amazon protester that bared her breasts in Lawrence in the late 70's? One of Lawrence's historic moments. What happened to those wild and crazy kinda gals?

scenebooster 6 years, 10 months ago

"Can you tell me why women have large breasts and men do not? "

Have you been to Clinton (or any) lake recently? Plenty of men with big breasts there....

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 10 months ago

I wonder how this affects No-Pants Friday. I'm tired of spending my Friday afternoons in jail.

blue73harley 6 years, 10 months ago

Come on Lawrence. Let's show 'em how progressive and liberal we really are! It is going to be hot today. I might just have to open a kiosk selling sun screen on Mass.

As for being lopsided, I don't know. I didn't see any pictures.

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow, I hope you didn't think that was a clever question, bubbles, because it's certainly one with a perfectly easy evolutionary answer, and one that can be intuited farther, into why men tend to like women with big breasts (and hips for that matter) due to its surface indication of an ability to properly bear and feed babies, thus continuing the species.

Try harder next time.

Jackie Jackasserson 6 years, 10 months ago

Jackie Jackasserson 6 years, 10 months ago

Whoohoo-I am taking my shirt off and going to the lake...um...nope I'm not, but it is nice to know that if I wanted to I could.

Bubbles 6 years, 10 months ago

Tell me why women have large breasts merrill. Can you tell me why women have large breasts and men do not? Give me the evolutionary answer.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 10 months ago

At least women now have a legal choice.