Archive for Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Honesty lauded

June 19, 2007

To the editor:

Food from Rusty's then Checkers has been served at my table since 1953. After reading the article about how caring, kind and courteous Jim Lewis and his employees are, I am compelled to write about my experience on Friday, June 8.

I had shopped, and on my way to the car noticed my bracelet was missing. It is very old and probably a treasure to just me.

Almost devastated, I went to the office and told of my plight. The lady reached on her desk and asked, "Is this it?" I could hardly believe it! I thought I would never see it again.

A young, honest employee found it in the parking lot. There aren't words to express my appreciation and thanks to the young man, and a heartfelt thanks to Mr. Lewis for hiring dependable employees. I admire the young, honest adults more with each passing day.

Congratulations to Mr. Lewis and his 25-year anniversary of Checkers!

Pearl Schneider,

Lawrence

Comments

b3 6 years, 10 months ago

Checkers is very poorly laid out with very little to choose from.

camper 6 years, 10 months ago

The article and commentary began with "honesty" and somehow the conversation got turned around. Now we are talking about guns. Strange.

erod0723 6 years, 10 months ago

glock, Why do you feel the need to carry around your gun (I can only assume it is a glock)? Do you feel that unsafe in Lawrence? Are you that insecure with your sexuality? The no guns signs are not anti-gun rights. They are pro-customer safety. Guns don't kill people. Idiots like you do.

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 10 months ago

Wilbur_Nether (Anonymous) says:"Or, perhaps, simply not carry onto Checkers property."

Of course. Law-abiding citizens respect property rights. I wouldn't dream of carrying into an area that has been posted anti-rights. However, it is rather irritating to disarm and I don't care to be at the mercy of those non-law-abiding citizens will be armed inside Checkers. Also, why should I support a business that doesn't care about their customers?

coneflower 6 years, 10 months ago

ALDI is a surreal experience and has very good quality products at good prices. It's not a full-service grocery store in the sense that you can find everything on your list there. Worth the trip, except that it's on ugly, stressful South Iowa and I just can't seem to force myself to go over there.

Wilbur_Nether 6 years, 10 months ago

gl0ck0wnr wrote "...the law-abiding people who carry handguns will steer clear...."

Or, perhaps, simply not carry onto Checkers property. I wonder, which Lawrence grocers WILL allow me to pack heat on their premises?

topekan7 6 years, 10 months ago

Aldi on Iowa has cheaper prices and higher quality food and special purchases. The employees are paid extremely well and work hard to bring value to their customers. Check it out.

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 10 months ago

Checkers is anti-rights and posted anti-concealed carry. Thus, the only people you will meet in Checkers with a handgun are criminals because the law-abiding people who carry handguns will steer clear and patronize stores that respect their customers.

Stain 6 years, 10 months ago

greyheim:

The Mexican coke at Checkers as 88 cents for a tall glass bottle the last time I bought it. That might have been a special.

Stain 6 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright asks, Dear Stain, Why would you buy a spoiled vegetable or fruit at any grocery store?

Haven't you ever cut open an apple to discover it is brown inside? Or opened a bundle of asparagus to discover the stalks in the center of the bunch had mushy, smelly tips you couldn't see until you took off the rubber band? This is just in the last month.

offtotheright 6 years, 10 months ago

"I've never bought a spoiled vegetable or fruit there, but I have from Dillons and Hy-Vee"

Dear Stain,

Why would you buy a spoiled vegetable or fruit at any grocery store?

Ragingbear 6 years, 10 months ago

Armyguy, I suggest you re-read my post. Or go back to remedial reading classes. I have been there many times during the graveyard shifts. I have bought many things from there at 3 and 4 am. You will find many people working in there on the floors and doing some stocking that are unable to speak english. However, I found that they were all legally here in the us. That means that they are allowed to work in the US. Whether they were citizens, I do not know. I do not have a problem with legal immigration. I used to live in farm country where migrant workers were the lifeblood of the entire state. Checkers is a good place, and is where I do all my significant food shopping.

Defender 6 years, 10 months ago

"I find their prices are better than Dillons and Hyvee."

ragingbear, that qualifies for understatement of the year! Checkers really is MUCH cheaper, and no one in town beats thier produce!

greyheim 6 years, 10 months ago

what other hidden treasures?

jk... i love checkers!! its a great store!

greyheim 6 years, 10 months ago

checkers has good mexican coke? might have to check that one out, ive been paying too much from my guy but he's bringing it in from columbia.

Eileen Emmi Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

emilyhadley,

I LOVE that Mexican coke that you can buy only at Checkers! It tastes exactly like the Coke I had as a child.

I agree, Checkers has hidden treasures that you don't expect because it's such an unassuming building.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 10 months ago

Checker's rocks! Lots of obscure and fancy stuff in a big, plain store.

I used to go especially for their cheese selection, and now I go for their selection of vegan snacks, sauces, and ingredients! Okay, and a REAL bottle of Coke, once in a great while.

If I am attempting an ambitious recipe that calls for hard-to-find stuff, I can usually find everything there.

armyguy 6 years, 10 months ago

Have you ever been in checkers overnight Ragingbear? Say from midnight to 6 am, I think you should go in a shop there at those hours before you go saying more BS. All the night stockers are in plain view for you to see. I doubt that you find anyone who is supposed illegal.

Checkers has got to be one of the best stores around from Topeka to KC, great selection and good prices.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 10 months ago

My sister made a similar mistake at Country Mart in Ottawa. Except it was much more serious, as she left her checkbook at the checkout, with cards containing all kinds of personal info.

The checker found it, and put it immediately in the safe. It was there when my sister went out to check.

Of course, she had already called to change everything, since she didn't know at the time.

But it's nice to know there are still honest people in the world.

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

"I don't get the impression that any of them are illegal aliens."

How do you come to this conclusion? Is it because they aren't soaking wet from swimming across the border? Are they not running and hiding every time they see an officer? It's silly to assume that you can detect who is legal.

Ragingbear 6 years, 10 months ago

Yeah. And I also did a little bit of checking. From what I can tell, the large amount of Mexican-Americans working there at nights with cleaning and stocking are all legal. I don't get the impression that any of them are illegal aliens. You know if you saw the same situation in Wal-Mart, you would know that they were probably all illegals.

Stain 6 years, 10 months ago

Checkers is cheaper and better quality than Wal-Mart grocery. It's the cheapest in town, with no compromise in quality. I've never bought a spoiled vegetable or fruit there, but I have from Dillons and Hy-Vee.

blackwalnut 6 years, 10 months ago

I like Checkers. I'm pleased to bag my own groceries to get the huge savings I feel I get there. Their produce is beautiful and fresh and there is always a wide variety. They offer some of the more exotic vegetables and other items. Their meat is of high quality and very cheap but I don't buy much regular grocery store meat because of issues with the slaughter (read Fast Food Nation for more on that). I'm pleased they started carrying cage-free eggs.

My only regrets about Checkers are that they don't offer hormone-free meat from small local ranchers (which would address some of my meat concerns), they don't sell a decent French bread, they will refund 5 cents for bringing your own grocery bag only if it is a paper sack (not my huge cloth ones), and they aren't close to my home but are in the middle of that horrible 23rd/Iowa traffic mess. Other than that Checkers is perfect.

I'm very, very happy to learn it is a locally owned business.

small_fish_in_small_pond 6 years, 10 months ago

I hope the Chamber and other related organizations give him due credit...The produce is very good there and at a nice price (everytime I buy produce from Hyvee it is spoiled).

Ragingbear 6 years, 10 months ago

Checkers is a good place. Mainly because half the time you can find the actual owner there. It's a strong local business that I like to support. I find their prices are better than Dillons and Hyvee. They tend to have a better selection as well.