Archive for Sunday, June 10, 2007

Woman, boy injured in one-vehicle rollover

Two people flown to hospital by helicopter

June 10, 2007, 2:09 p.m. Updated June 10, 2007, 10:42 p.m.

A 26-year-old woman and an 8-year-old boy, both from Fort Hall, Idaho, were taken by air ambulance to area hospitals after an accident just before noon Sunday on Kansas Highway 10 southwest of Lawrence, near Clinton Lake.

According to a Kansas Highway Patrol report, Willow R. Jack, 26, was driving a 1996 Mitsubishi SUV westbound on K-10 near 27th Street when for an unknown reason the vehicle ran off the road. She then overcorrected and lost control of the vehicle, which rolled several times before coming to rest on its tires facing southeast in the north ditch.

Jack was thrown from the vehicle and suffered disabling injuries, the Highway Patrol report said. She was flown to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., by a LifeNet helicopter ambulance. She was not wearing a seat belt.

Nikee Z. Jack, 8, also suffered disabling injuries, and he was flown to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., by a LifeStar helicopter. He was wearing a seat belt.

Comments

terrapin2 7 years, 6 months ago

That is a really bad way to end your Waka-weekend! I hope they weren't seriously hurt!

My thoughts are with them...

Ragingbear 7 years, 6 months ago

Having personally made the drive to Lawrence from Idaho, I can definitely say that it is possible that fatigue played a role here. It's about a 3 day drive under optimal conditions. That is figuring in a total of 4 hours of sleep per day. Add to the mix that SUV's are top heavy and can easily be swayed by a strong gust of wind, then it makes it rather easy to run into issues. One can easily "zone out" which is actually a form of falling asleep, you can actually fall asleep as well, which is the cause for many accidents. Then there is the general stress and fatigue of driving across the country anyways, then add in an 8 year old who is probably none-too-happy to be forced to sit in the back seat for 3-4 days straight, and one can easily see that the chances of an accident are increased greatly.

Having only gone through the area of this accident once, I can't make a statement as to how safe it is. But I can't help but wonder if a person on a cell-phone didn't sorta drift into her lane.

Let's hope that they will make it out of this ok.

shergirt 7 years, 6 months ago

I pray these two will recover from this wreck. She lost her husband and beautiful daughter from a car accident a while back.

NDNJAYHAWKER 7 years, 6 months ago

FYI, she is a Haskell student and lives here in Lawrence with her son so she was not fatigued from driving all the way from Idaho. Probably on her way to Mayetta, KS for the Potawatomi Pow-Wow. I pray for her family, they are having a DeJaVu from the accident from a couple of years ago that killed her husband and daughter from a car wreck. Take care Abrahamson family and may GOD be with you!

Curtis Lange 7 years, 6 months ago

Thoughts go out to the victims. However, I seriously doubt the road had anything to do with this accident...

Wear your seatbelts!

KS 7 years, 6 months ago

This is twice in one day that Raginbear has shot from the hip and written some pretty stupid stuff without reading.

I am sorry to hear about this accident. I agree with KUweatherman - WEAR YOUR SEATBELT.

Mike Blur 7 years, 6 months ago

Yup, looking at he myspace page (myspace.com/willowjack) she is an HINU student.

So once again, the mentally deficient moron known as Ragingbear blows hard on somthing he/she knows absolutely nothing about. Once again, and please. Stand down from your computer! I've been hanging out all day in downtown Lawrence with friends, had a great and lively time, and just got back home. Of course, I log on to ljworld.com, and what's the first thing I see? More moronic disinformation from the rage-a-holic bear.

I have several relatives that currently attend HINU. I would appreciate it if you, Rage-a-holic, left your ignorant speculation about people who might be family off these boards. In short, for crying out loud--go get a life.

Is life really that bad, rage-a-holic? You need some help. There's a whole other world out there aside from the ljworld forums. Bye--I'm getting my telescope out. Theskies are clear tonight.

classclown 7 years, 6 months ago

"Brett Mosiman, director of the Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival at Clinton State Park, said the people injured had not attended or planned to attend the nearby festival."

===================================================================

This guy has a list of names of everyone that has or plans to attend? How else could he possibly be so certain?

mom2007 7 years, 6 months ago

Hello, I was the woman driving the vehicle. I'm sorry to say, but no I was not fatigued. I am currently living in Lawrence. I was not speeding and the Journal World didn't contact me, nor did the Lawrence Police. I am a single widowed mother and my son and I were driving on this beautiful Sunday to go to a celebration in Mayetta, Kansas. Now, I don't know why it was NOT REPORTED but there was a vehicle speeding toward us, in my line, coming over the hill. I didn't know whether it was passing another vehicle or whether it was going to move. We approached the vehicle (me trying to remain calm) and it stayed in my lane, so I swerved toward the grass, my vehicle lost control and we rolled down the hill. I remember it all. Police and reporters, please I am the one who was in the wreck. I want that vehicle to be found, it just kept on speeding. The only way I can describe it, is that it was like a big UPS vehicle (one of those big huge brown vans) except white and not from UPS. I remember some green lines on the side. I would never have ran my son and myself off the road for no reason, the big white vehicle was barreling so fast towrds i barely had a second to decide what to to. I don't know why they didn't stop. Perhaps they were drunks coming from that music festival. I am ready to file reports, I have been in the hospital and I am now disabled. I hope who ever the driver of thet vehicle was will turn themselves in. Do what is right, I had already lost twoloved ones in an accident. I was just barley getting ready to slide in my seatbelt, as my son and were just getting on our way to Interstate 70 for Mayetta. Thank god my son was in his, and maybe thanks god I wasn't in mine..both of us were saved in different ways. My sided of the vehicle was completely crushed in and my son's side was fine. All in all the fact is that one driver was putting other people in danger and who ever they are, they are still out there.

johnnywilliams 7 years, 6 months ago

I'll go somewhere this weekend and ask for help fromgod to bless you nikee and you guys family.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

Since her side of the car was completely crushed, if she hadn't been thrown clear, she might not have survived at all.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your son, Mom2007.

Here's hoping they're looking for that van and its driver.

mom2007 7 years, 6 months ago

I think "something" protected me by ..me not doing my seat belt. I DO ALWAYS want to see everyone in their seat belts and I will always be in my seat belt. Miracles don't happen often ( my side was crushed, as I would have been if I did wear my seatbelt). So, thank you for all your well wishes and kind words, my son and I will now continue to heal. I hope the drivers of the other vehicle wii be forgiven by the almighty for what they had caused. Life does go on and I will too, wearing my seat belt and being thankful for the each new day for my son and I.