Archive for Thursday, July 26, 2007

City commissioners OK expansion into parking lot

July 26, 2007

City commissioners agreed to move ahead on a proposal that would allow a Lawrence developer to use public parking spaces to accommodate expansion of a downtown office building.

Commissioners on a 4-1 vote gave staff the approval to enter into negotiations with developer Thomas Fritzel for eight public parking spaces in the lot southeast of Eighth and Vermont streets. The eight spaces would give Fritzel's group the ability to expand the building at 123 W. Eighth St. by adding an elevator and stairway.

Commissioner Boog Highberger opposed the plan, saying it could set a bad precedent. The city is requiring Fritzel to pay $25,000 per space upfront. Commissioners expressed an interest in using the money to redesign the Vermont Street parking lot in an effort to gain space to replace the eight lost spaces.

The lot currently has a large island in its southern portion that could be made smaller.

Commissioners also told staff to prepare a draft request for proposals to send to other developers to determine if there is additional interest in using downtown parking lots for redevelopment.

Comments

spywell 6 years, 9 months ago

Did'nt you guys know how this works. Half above the table now, half with the Vermont street project is approved and another 50% on election year for all who does their bidding. Total paid 150%. Accual cost $75,000.00 per lot. Its all tax deductable.

tony88 6 years, 9 months ago

revision to above post:

encourage developers to buy and expand into more parking lots to gain more for the downtown parking garage project:

tony88 6 years, 9 months ago

charge them at least 50K for each space and use the fees to invest in two more smaller parking garages... one on vermont, and one on the north portion of new hampshire just south of java break... encourage developers to buy and expand into more parking garages to gain more for the downtown parking garage project... surface parking is what ruins a downtown (look at KCMO)... it's an inefficient use of valuable land

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, I was flying in from the wrong direction...the post should refer to the lots SOUTH of the present D&D tire bldg.

Oh, by the way,,,,neither the city nor the developers are clever....Fritzel should have bought ONE space and the AIR RIGHTS over the other.............7 spaces. The city should be selling AIR RIGHTS.................I'll take the air rights over the whole parking lot behind the Eldredge!!

a few spaces left for the adventurous would be those south of the old Dos Hombres...whatever that place is now...and of course there are some north of the beauty shop at the south end of that lot.

FOUR spaces in front of brothers and air rights over the lot behind the Eldredge where do I sign up? Is there a form to submit and an application fee?

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 9 months ago

Watch for the following spaces to disappear. Lot east of current D&D tire. When the new owner takes the D&D tire bldg then more lots sold off. When D&D tire moves to the old office supply space south..rumored!!!, then lots to the north of it can be sold to D&D Tire..let's see, then we have the lot north of Last CAll, when it has it's demise, and a new building is built. that lot loses space. Then we have the parking spaces on the west side of the post office...those can be sold when that bldg goes...oh, I got some more in mind up in my bird nest here.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 9 months ago

"This commission gets dumber and dumber. They should have told Fritzel that you come up with a new plan for the lot, at your expense. and then we sell the spaces."

I agree--either write the spaces off or make the builder contribute to the design/work on the lot. If he came up with a plan that ultimately added spaces, he could pay for that work rather than buying those spaces he wants.

That is a bizarre lot! It is a figure 8, instead of being one big loop like the others. Would be easy to improve it-- remove that center entrance that cuts through the loop, so cars have to turn to the right when they enter. Those entering the lot are going faster because they don't have to turn, and they often don't anticipate the oncoming traffic on their right as others try to exit the south portion.

I have always avoided the south portion, because it is a tight, and I often nearly got hit by someone blindly flying in off the street as I tried to creep out, obscured by that island.

I am still wondering, though, subtracting some potential $$ loss of the parking spots, is that all downtown real estate is worth?

Marion Lynn 6 years, 9 months ago

spywell:

You are 100% correct on the beer and 100% correct on the bargain basement deal that the city is giving on those spaces.

Prost!

spywell 6 years, 9 months ago

Hawk: I did'nt want to bore anyone with the math but since you did, $25,000 is a bargain. Oh, and Hawk, I only drink german beer, if you going to drink, you should buy the best.

Mr_B9 6 years, 9 months ago

Sure is an aweful expensive elevator and stairway.HMMMMM. It is becoming more apparent to me we have elected some real wizards to our City Commission. Why on gods green earth would they sell any parking space for that amount. That property is worth 5 times that unless you are related to the appraiser. Wonder if any of the 4-1 vote work at that business. Wouldn't suprise me. I have seen conflict of interest in City Hall before. Like the roundabouts. Hmmmmm. Well hawkperchedatriverfront I think you hit the nail on the head. I hope you get your parking spaces you requested. At least you have a profit making plan.

George_Braziller 6 years, 9 months ago

1. The parking garage is underused because downtown employees don't want to walk more than one block to get to work.

2. People who live in apartments downtown don't even think when they are renting where they will park. Establish a parking lot for downtown apartment residents and include the cost in the rent.

3. Downtown Lawrence hasn't established a designated parking area for employees. When I worked at a bank in Hutchinson 25 years ago they had a designated parking area for employees three blocks from the bank. During the entire time that I was there no one died from having to walk to their car.

4. Number one and two combined means that they park for either eight hours every day or for three-plus days on the neighborhood streets where residents who own property have to park (or attempt to find a parking spot).

Dracul (Anonymous) says:

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 9 months ago

cheep you think? sign me up for 4 spaces on Mass. I want the ones right in front of BROTHERs.

coneflower 6 years, 9 months ago

25,000 per lot sounds awfully cheap considering what downtown land is worth.

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 9 months ago

Oh my god..bozo, spywell, and godot,,,can we really be buddies. I need some company in my bird nest tonite. You bring the chips and I will furnish the budwhysir.

The city commission took the simplest issue and will be wasting more money. Quite frankly, 25,000 per space is cheap for commercial property and that is what the parking lots are.

If $25,000 is the going rate, how much you think Fritzel will ante up for the lot behind the Eldridge? Or will there be a discount for the more spaces one buys?

I aint got smarts in business, but know a bargain when I see one. I would like to buy 4 spaces on Mass Street for $100,000. I will own the meters and control the meter rate and collect the money. Let's see, $100,000 at 5 per cent a year. if in the bank gives me a tad bit over $416 a month divided by 30 days equals around 14 dollars a day rounded up. SO, my total parking spots only need to generate 14 dollars and some "mills" to break even but I think at 1 dollar per hour times 16 hours per spot will return 64 dollars a day total ...I got 4 spots remember. I hope this works out right,,but I can't be off too much.

If my not so good math is right 64 dollars a day times 30 days equals $1,920.00

Put me on the list for more spots.

Where do I sign up to buy some lots?

oh what the heck just sell me the lot south of the chamber of commerce building..I'll take the whole lot and after that then the lot between the library and senior center and after that the lot next to Border's books.

Can I build a bird perch or will the neighbors complain that it is too high and intrusive into a commercial area?

23,040 A YEAR income on 4 parking spaces...no income tax, it will be not for proft parking operation after the director is paid, and general minimal maintence. We don't want too much maintenance done. the spaces must kept as original as to not destroy the character of downtown.

I WANT some spaces and want them now before the word gets out.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 9 months ago

Now just think what could the library building be bought for under this commission during a swell night of swindling? Hmmmmm

spywell 6 years, 9 months ago

Hawk: Your Idea is right on.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree, hawk. Fritzel should be required to pay for a redesign of the lot to minimize the loss of parking spaces, pay for the necessary changes, and then pay the city $25,000 for each net space that is lost.

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 9 months ago

$25,000 a space. that's all? How much you think those spaces would cost now to buy if they still had property on them. That is in a commercial area and if I understand this article and the other, there were 8 spaces. So that is only $200,000 paid and the CITY is NOW going to SPEND it to redesign the lot. So wait for another $500,000 to upgrade the lot.

This commission gets dumber and dumber. They should have told Fritzel that you come up with a new plan for the lot, at your expense. and then we sell the spaces. The city just got money and now it goes down the drain.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 9 months ago

Boog should quit now while he's behind.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 9 months ago

Parking downtown is already at a premim - even with the parking garage. Part of the problem IS the number of people who either work or live downtown parking in the closer parking spaces when they are going to be at home or in the office for a long period of time. I know of at least four shop workers/owners downtown who run out the door every hour of so to "smoke" when they are really just putting more money in the meter (sometimes they do smoke). With all the budget problems, I'm really surprised they only asked for $25,000 per space (I'm also sure that price will get lowered in the negotiations). Why not ask for $50,000 per space and put some into a downtown improvment fund?

spywell 6 years, 9 months ago

Hang in ther Boog, now its time to make your move. Lets throw a tent party. I mean lets turn downtown into a super tent Mall. The Denver Airport, has this great roof, its made out of fiber and looks like a tent. We could do the downtown Mass street like and outdoor mall, but under a tent. We can get rid of all the parking on Mass. and have decorative gardens. If these developers can swindle the city out of 4 parking places, then lets get rid of all of the parking on Mass, make it foot traffic only. Then we could issue these developers a permit to build a sky transit water canal so they can suffel their constituents in peasant powered condolas' from Eldrige on the hill too the Eldridge on eight street and then too the Eldridge on seventh street. We could change the name of Mass. Street to Eldridge Street and have condolas' on Mass street and rickshaw rides. We could even change the name of our city to Edridge on the KAw.