Archive for Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Power restored at traffic lights

July 17, 2007, 8:36 a.m. Updated July 17, 2007, 9:55 a.m.

Power has been restored to traffic lights along along Sixth and Ninth streets after a power outage around 7:40 a.m. Tuesday morning shut them down.

The lights have been working since about 9 a.m., according to a city official.

Comments

Ghost78 7 years, 7 months ago

I saw that these lights were out at 7:45 this morning on my way to work as I passed through 9th & Iowa ... and it was interesting to also see a Lawrence police officer sitting at 9th & Sunset clocking people with his radar instead of directing a busy (and potentially dangerous) intersection just one block away ...

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 7 months ago

It was nice that my N>S morning commute was much quicker with the traffic lights out on 6th and 9th. I do hope my refrigerator is running by now, though!~)

Lars Larson 7 years, 7 months ago

I especially love how the people in the turning lanes at lights think they get to go first. Then everyone is waiting around because someone screwed up the order.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Just in case you have a problem like this again...

Any intersection with traffic signals that aren't operating are to be treated the same as a four-way stop...

But most people don't seem to know this...

Lars Larson 7 years, 7 months ago

crazyks (Anonymous) says:

Just in case you have a problem like this again:

Any intersection with traffic signals that aren't operating are to be treated the same as a four-way stop:

But most people don't seem to know this:

Sometimes, 31st and Louisiana for example, people don't adhere to the four-way stop convension.

Justin Roberts 7 years, 7 months ago

You can't possibly expect a LPD officer to get out of his nice air conditioned patrol car to direct traffic in the hot sun.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't think I've really seen most people in Lawrence follow the "standard convention" for 4-way stops or left hand turns. Here goes: when 2 vehicles are on the same street at a stop sign going opposite directions and one is turning left, the vehicle not turning or with a right hand turn has the right of way and goes first. For the most part, I've seen the vehicle making the left turn go first. Out of all of the places I've driven, Lawrence is the only place I've been where most drivers do not follow this -- the vehicle making the left turn usually goes first.

thomgreen 7 years, 7 months ago

Some people try to be too nice at 4 way stops here, not realizing that they are causing things to back up more by not following the standard convention.

leadrain 7 years, 7 months ago

Hell, OH 1st thing- Some people adhere to the Complete Stop rule. Some don't. If a car is gonna turn left and comes to a complete stop, while an opposing vehicle is trying to go straight but does a RollStop. He should expect to pay out. Also-Roundabouts: A lot of folk don't realize that the Right of Way becomes the Left of Way. If you are getting hit it's coming from your left side. YOUR side! So don't get cocky! Daddy will only pay for so much. Including funerals(:

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 7 months ago

Completely irrelevant, but I just saw a Parks and Rec truck and employee watering plants in Commissioner Boog Highberger's yard!

Great use of tax dollars!

thebigspoon 7 years, 7 months ago

exactly what type of plants were being watered? did you happen to have cell phone with camera?

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 7 months ago

I only wish I had been able to get a photo. It was at 11:24 am.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh and they grow the transplants typically at 11th and Haskell. I would hope he didn't request that.

Kat Christian 7 years, 7 months ago

Actually most people were using the 4-way stop routine when I appoarch the 6th and Maine intersection. That was about 8:00am. I called it in otherwise it might still be that way. Why are people so shy in this town as to not take steps to call on something that is amiss? Just call it in. If you see a dead animal in the road - call it in. It you see a pothole that a danger - call it in. I have enough faith in this town that if you "call it in" they will immediately come and fix the problem. It's worked for me. Take a lesson folks.

inatux 7 years, 7 months ago

What I saw this morning was a lot of Lawrence drivers doing a great job of not being jerks during a bad situation. People acted calm, got through the intersections, acted civil. I guess none of the trolls on this board saw any of that.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 7 months ago

Re: my prior claim of the city watering Boog's yard-

While that is indeed what I saw, a city vehicle parked in front of Boog's house and watering a tree, I was evidently incorrect. I spoke personally with Boog this evening and he told me that it is actually city property, between his sidewalk and the street, and that the guy was simply doing his job.

I'll take his word for it, and I hope you all will too. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

blessed3x 7 years, 7 months ago

Doing his job? Does the city water the trees on the front end of your property? I'll bet not. City Right-of-Way usually extends from the curb line to the sidewalk but you are responsible for maintaining that area. They don't do this for anyone else. Boog is playing you for a fool, dude!!!