Archive for Friday, July 6, 2007

Committee removes gay pastor from clergy roster

July 6, 2007

— The openly gay pastor of Atlanta's oldest Lutheran church has been removed from his denomination's clergy roster.

But the Rev. Bradley Schmeling said Thursday he will not leave the pulpit of St. John's Lutheran Church, a decision that could open the 350-member congregation to disciplinary action from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

In a decision issued Monday, a 12-member appeals committee ruled 10-2 to immediately remove Schmeling from the clergy roster. An earlier panel's ruling had allowed the pastor to stay on the roster until Aug. 15.

By ELCA rules, Schmeling is now a lay person within the denomination who shouldn't wear a stole or perform sacraments, said Emily Eastwood of the Minnesota-based gay rights group Lutherans Concerned.

Comments

purplesage 7 years, 8 months ago

ELCA does not spell fundy. Good for them despite the pressure to accept the standards of the world. Romans 1

Bubbles 7 years, 8 months ago

Why is how they perfom sex always indicated?

I don't understand why gays always have to point this out? "hey look at me and how I do it" ! Whooo hooo

Weird.

shockchalk 7 years, 8 months ago

Americorps............How come you don't worry about all of the hate spewed out towards Christians in this country? I guess you have no problem with hate as long as it's directed towards those you disagree with? Maybe you should pray for yourself.

shockchalk 7 years, 8 months ago

Now you're getting it Chief. You see, tolerance is a myth that the left spreads thick and liberally (pun intended). They really only have tolerance for those who share their views.......You have to hate Bush, Republicans, conservatives, Christians, and especially unborn babies.

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

james bush 7 years, 8 months ago

Send the pastor to the Pakistan/Afghanistan.......if he converts a bunch of taliban-types, make him a bishop!

gogoplata 7 years, 8 months ago

It is thier church, they can run it how they want to. If you don't like it, to bad. Don't be a part of it. My church would not allow a gay pastor. If they did, I'd switch churches. If you want to be gay, that is your choice, it's none of my business. Just don't expect the rest of the world to be ok with it.

Eileen Jones 7 years, 8 months ago

shockchalk (Anonymous) says: Americorps::::How come you don't worry about all of the hate spewed out towards Christians in this country?

Nobody ever spewed anything negative toward Christians in this country until the Christians decided to become their own political party and spew hatred toward other (I know, they call it "moral values" but it's hatred, plain and simple).

erod0723 7 years, 8 months ago

"If your homosexual behavior is bothering you listen to your conscience. It's there for a reason." Mick, That has really stopped all the catholic priests, the adulterous heterosexual couples, and heterosexual couples that get divorces at astonishing rates these days. You, sir, are a hypocrite.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Spywell: "The Basicalia, well that Peters, church, and he's never going to leave that one." Can you, errr, try that one again? I'd like to understand it, but I'm afraid I'm not able to.

Bubbles: I do believe that the first person to mention the method with which homosexuals perform sex was yourself. It's been my experience that gay folk rarely talk about it of their own volition, any more than straight people talk about which positions they do their own companions in. It is usually some somewhat infantile opponent of homosexuality that first starts talking about this particular topic, and it is usually the same that continues to obsess over it.

75x55: If you don't tell us which key questions you're referring to, then how are we to know which ones to avoid?

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

I was going to say that the church has a right to deny this man a position as clergy, but then I wondered what would happen if they tried to do it on other criteria, such as race or gender. But still, it is a pretty specifically mentioned part of their religion, fit in with the people with tattoos, beard-trimmers, the salt-spillers, witches, etc. I must admit, though, that I fail to see why a gay person would even WANT a position of power in the archaic institution known as the Christian Church.

In the end, I would say that the rest of the world having as little influence on the church as possible would be a good thing, but that is only because then, hopefully, the church would have as little influence on the rest of the world as possible. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

I know what the Basilica is. I've been there, and it's pretty neat. It's just the rest of what you posted that makes me confused. I'm operating under the theory now that you actually never sleep, which is why your generally interesting ideas lie mostly buried under stream-of-consciousness, slightly mad ramblings and horrific grammar.

And, errr. . . . Mustard head? At least it's a new one. . . .

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

"Jesus walked with Mary Magdalen..."

And others who were called "sinners". Mary's role in Biblical history is that she was a sinner who found her way because of the gospel, and repented of a life of sin. Jesus helped people CHANGE their ways, he didn't hang out with prostitutes in order to show "tolerance", but to show them that they were loved and could turn away from their sin.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Ahhhh. . . . I thought it was a general thing. I guess I did notice a couple of questions. I thought it was in reference to the specific topic.

quietgirl 7 years, 8 months ago

I took Bubbles comment to be a joke...'openly gay'...that maybe she was joking about them doing 'it openly'...but I am hungover right now so I may be way off!!

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Okay. Sounds like a good starting line for a song though. I'll get back to you.

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

"pillow of salt." Now, that is funny.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 8 months ago

75x55 barbed: "As usual, the key questions are avoided."

What, pray tell, are the key questions that are being avoided? Let's discuss them. I would like to know your answers to them.

Let's talk.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Uh oh, I sense yet another attempt by nightmare to ask about when life begins and where it says so in the Bible.

erod0723 7 years, 8 months ago

"If you have a church for gays, man will mold it into what ever he feels society will accept, make you feel good about your self, what ever. Mans best friend." Spywell, You probably believe that people choose to be homosexual don't you? Well, study after study has shown that people are preprogrammed to be gay. According to your religious beliefs, God creates everyone and has a specific purpose for them. Therefore, God is creating gay people. That kinda throws a big kink into your anti-homosexual agenda, doesn't it? Homosexuality is not an abomination, it is a life choice. Read up on the studies on homosexuality in the animal kingdom. Does your dog really care if it's humping a male or a female?