Archive for Thursday, July 5, 2007

K.C.-area man dies lighting fireworks

July 5, 2007

Advertisement

— A Mission man has died of injuries suffered in a fireworks accident in rural Miami County.

Brock Barrett, 25, was critically injured about 9 p.m. Tuesday when a 4-inch mortar went off as he lit fireworks at a family gathering in southern Miami County.

He died at Overland Park Regional Medical Center.

Comments

Jayhawk_N_Denver 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey madmike, isn't that most people's famous last words? I thought it usually only applied to Arkansas natives.

shockchalk 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey madmike, Could you be anymore callous or crude? Since you have no idea what happened, it's amazing you felt the need to post such a comment. Somehow, I think your famous last words probably were, "Hey, do you think anyone could be as big of a jerk as me"?

imastinker 7 years, 10 months ago

I helped as part of a professional fireworks display last night, and the thought of a 4" mortar anywhere in the general public is frigtening. We take great precautions when we do it, and have pyrotechnics experts teaching a class beforehand and supervising the activity.

CheyannesMomma 7 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't matter if those were his last words, MOVE PAST THAT, it doesn't matter what type of person he was, he died in a tragic accident, people make mistakes, we're human it happens, you don't even know him so don't be so judgemental.

erod0723 7 years, 10 months ago

I have it on good authority that the events that transpired are as follows: The guy lit the mortar only to see the fuse go out, or so he thought. He stuck his head over the mortar to see if the fuse was out, and the mortar went off, taking off most of his head. That seems like a pretty gruesome and stupid way to die. Someone should nominate the guy for a Darwin Award.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you, Imastinker...but most people on these forums apparently think it's okay for anyone to have any firework they want, and shoot them off wherever they want.

It's the American way, you know...(sarcasm)

spywell, if it went off in his face (as the TV news said it did), he probably didn't have much face left to breathe anything in.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

erod0723, what a bad thing to say. Shame on you.

blackwalnut 7 years, 10 months ago

The fireworks ban is not working, based on the action in my neighborhood last night and all over town as I traversed it east to west.

This proves something more is needed. Sadly, you cannot legislate everything. People die from outdoor sports all the time. This is very sad. The comments in here are callous and unconscionable.

erod0723 7 years, 10 months ago

GoAtsie, Shame on me? Shame on that guy for being stupid enough to stick his face down a mortar shell tube. The guy didn't die in a tragic accident. That label is reserved for people that die in car wrecks, are killed on the job by industrial equipment, or people that have been killed by an act of God. Death by mortar shell in that manner is an idiotic death, plain and simple.

purplesage 7 years, 10 months ago

Unbelievable! This guy was celebrating the country that gives you the right to speak your mind. But, come on, already. Have a little compassion. This is a terrible tragedy. Any loss of life is regrettable. Can you stop for a moment and consider how this family is going to remember the 4th of July, the hardship they have ahead? Perhaps he was careless but perhaps not. The little news report doesn't provide enough information.

And, it is one more evidence that fireworks ought to be handled by properly trained individuals. This one was pretty big, wonder if it was "legal"? Legal or not, my heart goes out to this family.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.