Archive for Thursday, July 5, 2007

Al Gore’s son arrested on drug charges

July 5, 2007

— Al Gore's son was arrested early Wednesday on suspicion of possessing marijuana and prescription drugs after deputies pulled him over for speeding, authorities said.

Al Gore III, 24, was driving a blue Toyota Prius about 100 mph on the San Diego Freeway when he was pulled over about 2:15 a.m., Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Amormino said.

The deputies said they smelled marijuana and searched the car, Amormino said. They found less than an ounce of marijuana along with Xanax, Valium, Vicodin and Adderall, which is used for attention deficit disorder, he said.

"He does not have a prescription for any of those drugs," Amormino said.

Gore was released from the men's central jail in Santa Ana on Wednesday afternoon after posting $20,000 bail. Amormino said Gore had yet to hire an attorney.

Comments

thomgreen 7 years, 5 months ago

100 in a Prius?, that sort of sounds a little suspicious. Was he going down a steep incline?...lol.

storm 7 years, 5 months ago

Darn it - Jeb and Columba's daughter then the W twins. This has got to stop. We need more like Amy Carter and Chelsea Clinton. Darn it.

imastinker 7 years, 5 months ago

I bet my big dually has less greenhouse gases at the speed limit than that prius does at 100 mph.

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't think this is what Dad meant when he told his son he should "go green."

ima: I'll bet it doesn't.

Before anyone starts freaking out and making this a right/left thing, please remember about the daughters of our current President, Jenna and Anheiser Bush. And, of course, the President himself.

drewdun 7 years, 5 months ago

Wow. The hatred on here never takes a break, does it?

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, a 24 year old smoking pot, driving fast, and popping pills...what a dysfunctional family!

I bet he's the only 24 year old that has ever done that.

I'm sure Right_Thinker has raised perfectly innocent little christian kids that have never gotten into any trouble. Just by reading your posts, I'm glad I wasn't raised in your fascist household...what a miserable life.

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

ferdin: here is a story on when our President's daughter was sited for underage drinking: http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/04/27/bush.daughter/

Here is the report when Gov. Bush's daughter was arrested for prescription drug fraud: http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/01/29/jeb.bush.daughter.drugs/ In this instance, the Bush family released this statement: "We ask the public and the media to respect our family's privacy during this difficult time so that we can help our daughter." Check out the photo -- classic!

It looks like wanting privacy when a family member screws up isn't just a liberal thing after all.

And if we are going to talk about Al and Tipper smoking pot in the 1970s, can we also talk about our President's alcoholism and drug use, which most likely included heavy cocaine usage? Does that account for his daughters' actions? Let's not forget everybody's favorite rightwinger junkie, Rush Limbaugh! We don't want to be hypocrites around here and act like only people on one side can screw up.

What would have been really embarrassing was if he had been driving a Hummer.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 5 months ago

"Limbaugh had a bad back and was prescribed Oxycontin, which is very addictive. I hope that you never experience the pain that would require you to take Oxycontin. It's not a fun experience."

HAHAHA!!! I can't believe your making excuses for that waste of space. I've been prescribed Oxycontin and it helped my pain quite a bit but I was able to stop taking them once the pain was gone. It's called self control and Rush has none.

blackwalnut 7 years, 5 months ago

Someone posted this video elsewhere. I'm glad to post it again. If people had seen this in 2000, it would have not have been such a close election.

http://www.videosift.com/story.php?id=863 - Al Gore and his family

Eileen Jones 7 years, 5 months ago

Roadkill_Rob says The fact of the matter is that Rush slammed drug abuse constantly and then acted like a pathetic victim when it came out that he was a pill-popper. The guy is a hypocritical addict and you look like an embarrassment if you defend the guy.

Ha ha ha ha ha it's beyond hilarious. After ranting about drug users for years, he got caught, and suddenly his mantra has changed to asking for "sympathy" for drug users (also pedophiles). Even Democrat drug users. But especially Republican drug users.

You Limbaugh supporters are as ridiculous as he is. If you listen to him, no wonder you are misinformed.

drewdun 7 years, 5 months ago

"right-thinker says....

You otta know, you're the king of hatred on this forum"

Project much?

I'd be willing to bet the farm that if a poll was done of regular posters here on who has the most hatred [not to mention irrationality and mindless repetitiveness] in their posts, you would win in a landslide, pal. I guess that's an honor in a way, no?

And rt, for the record, I don't hate you or any of the right-wingers on here - I merely pity you. Ignorance is such an easy affliction to remedy and yet you nor none of you brethren on here take the time to do it. And that's just sad.

Christian Hinton 7 years, 5 months ago

Interestingly, the CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/05/gore.son.arrest/index.html) says that he admitted to "smoking ... some marijuana shortly before the stop" though he was "not charged with driving under the influence because a drug expert determined he was not impaired."

So did he just not smoke very much, or what?

erod0723 7 years, 5 months ago

Why is this a story? If this had been some Joe Schmo, then it would just be a byline in a paper, not an actual article. Sheesh.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

Hey, RT...you do realize that Gore isn't running in the next election, right?

erod0723 7 years, 5 months ago

GitS, He may have just taken a hit, and not a big enough hit to really f him up. Or he may have been smoking ditch weed. For his sake, he's lucky he had less than an oz of weed on him, or else he could be federally charged with posession and sent away for a few years.. but his daddy woulda probably gotten him off.

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

ferd: "What? A 20-year-old drinking alcohol? Bet that's never happened before. It's got to be as rare as a pothead doing 100 mph in a Prius." My point exactly, so quit acting like it is somehow worse than what people on the right do.

As far as Limbaugh goes, he was found to have received more than 2,000 painkillers by four different doctors over a six month period. That must have been one sore back. He is laughable, however, for his earlier statements against drug use. That is where the hypocrisy comes in.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 5 months ago

Does it matter who's kid it was? Kid has problems just try to get him help, same goes for the twins or any other person on the planet that needs help and want's it.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

Isn't this the young man who was struck by a car and nearly killed while his father was in the Senate?

I feel for any family, including one those whose politics I cannot abide, with a child, or any member with substance abuse problems. I hope the young man realizes his life was spared and gets some help.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

All politics and partisanship aside. . . . Who Cares?!?!?

Same with the Bush daughters. Holy Crap! Early and mid-twentysomethings doing drugs and driving recklessly?!?!?!?!?!? My God, THAT never happens! I'm sure that it's just because their parents are big political figures, and hold certain professed values, without those, these kids would never do any of this! And this has nothing at all to do with me being a biased partisan wannabe politiko, it's all about their moral failures! coughcoughcoughcoughcough

But go on, beat that horse! It's nerve endings are still making its leg twitch, so it's almost like its not dead, isn't it?

Eileen Jones 7 years, 5 months ago

It is not irrelevant that it is the Republicans who brag about their superior morality and family values, and paint others as the opposite.

You can't go around acting like only your group loves their families and lives by a moral code, and then expect others will not point our your hypocrisy when one of yours demonstrates how all to human you and yorus really are.

Republicans deserve to be called out on their hypocrisy. It's about time they stopped bragging about their values, and pretending nobody else has any.

Eileen Jones 7 years, 5 months ago

Marion:

I've read purplesage's comment five times and I do not see, anywhere, where he absolves Al Gore III of personal responsibility for his actions.

I've seen no comment anywhere - on this blog or others - where anyone suggests it is wrong that Gore was arrested and booked. I've seen no comment that suggests he should not be held accountable and punished. He also needs treatment for his unhealthy and illegal reliance on drugs (I don't have enough information to call it an addiction).

What part of that do you disagree with?

sean63g10 7 years, 5 months ago

I hope that he gets free of all the charges just to see what gossip all of you may contrive with the results.

sean63g10 7 years, 5 months ago

after all why would you want someone to get charged for living a life of care free youtful joys that most every person on here has partaken in at least once or half a dozen times.

sean63g10 7 years, 5 months ago

but really if this was not Gore's child would any of you honestly have any interrest in it? What about all the shootings and murders in K.C. in the past week? Why don't you people concentrate on fixing our issues!

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 5 months ago

Regarless of who his dad is the fact that this is the third time, if I read right, is about two to many now my question is if this was anybody else wouldn't they be in jail facing big charges and a hefty bail and no licence anymore and jail time in the future? And really at 24 I was not out there getting wasted and driving, this really should not be about politics it sould be about a person with a problem.

Eileen Jones 7 years, 5 months ago

He's a repeat offender and he has endangered others. He needs to be held accountable and punished. He also needs treatment. He has the parents who will support him in all these things.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 5 months ago

Ok are we going to be put thru the whole Paris Hilton media frenzy with this one? If we are I think I will not watch news for awhile.

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 5 months ago

Ferdi wrote: "Your pain went away. That does not happen with everyone."

Awww, funny how, all of sudden, your sympathetic to drug abuse. And to make it clear, I don't have a problem with popping pills if your pain doesn't go away. My point was that Rush is a hypocrit by bashing drug abusers and then becoming a pill-popper himself.

drewdun 7 years, 5 months ago

"ferdinandlanghoff (Anonymous) says:

Someone with a sentence construction such as this accused another of ignorance?"

LOL. Alright, you got me on this one. Definitely not my finest effort.