Archive for Tuesday, July 3, 2007

KU administrator has diversity goal

July 3, 2007

Kansas University has hired an administrator to lead minority recruitment for faculty and staff.

Maurice Bryan, who has been provost at Ottawa University for three years, began work Monday in Lawrence as associate vice provost for diversity and equity.

Bryan is no stranger to KU, where he worked as director of equal opportunity from 1993 to 2001. He said his new position would be related to his previous one, but it would not involve compliance issues or discrimination complaints that were common in his previous job.

"I think what is more difficult and more rewarding in the end is to get people who truly think differently than us and bring a different approach to issues, emotions or thoughts," Bryan said. "In some situations, we're actually uncomfortable with that."

He said attracting faculty and staff with different backgrounds and viewpoints would enrich classroom discussions and help existing faculty and staff grow as people.

"Sometimes people think just changing the physical bodies, without really changing ourselves, can work," Bryan said. "What we really need to do is to change how we do things, how we think, and be presented with new ideas and new perspectives."

KU Provost Richard Lariviere said in a news release that the university aimed to give students a mix of different viewpoints and backgrounds in its faculty.

"Maurice knows this university, he knows diversity matters and he has the knowledge and skills to lead this important effort," Lariviere said.

In 1997, KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway set goals for minority and female faculty numbers. By 2006, the number of minority faculty had increased 75 percent and the number of female faculty was up 41 percent.

Bryan said that after three years at a smaller, liberal arts university, he would need to update himself in order to evaluate the diversity status of major research universities across the country.

But he said many people still lacked appreciation for the importance of diversity at educational institutions.

"We still have a long way to go toward people embracing what is, in my mind, crucial to a democratic nation," Bryan said.

Comments

camper 6 years, 9 months ago

Maurice is most capable of filling this position.

max1 6 years, 9 months ago

"Hemenway is a moron dragging his university into the ground on a daily basis." -Uhlrick_Hetfield_III

What do you expect? KU has a tradition of hiring losers. After losing the Brown v Topeka Board of Education lawsuit, Paul E. Wilson (mentioned above) joined the staff at the University of Kansas School of Law.

"It seems to me that Martin Luther King wanted a country where color no longer matter in hiring and firing." -Uhlrick_Hetfield_III

I don't think KU's desire to hire more minority staff and faculty members has anything to do with fairness or equality -- it is purely a business decision, designed to attract minority enrollment, which will be necessary for KU's survival.

December 2003 http://www.wiche.edu/policy/Knocking/1988-2018/profiles/ks.pdf

Between 1987-88 and 2001-02, Kansas had gone from 27,036 public high school graduates to 29,509. The number of public high school graduates is expected to be 29,685 in 2017-18

Kansas will begin to see a significant shift in the racial/ethnic make-up of its public high school graduates over the next decade. During the early 1990s, underrepresented racial/ethnic groups accounted for approximately 12 percent of all public high school graduates in Kansas. That proportion gradually increased to 14.6 percent by 2001-02 and is projected to nearly double during the projection period, reaching close to 26 percent by 2013-14.

Ray Parker 6 years, 9 months ago

The goal of education is demonstrated learning, not diversity. If quotas are to be implemented for race, paganism, and sodomy, then we will need quotas for creationists and pro-lifers, too.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 9 months ago

It seems to me that Martin Luther King wanted a country where color no longer matter in hiring and firing. Hemenway is a moron dragging his university into the ground on a daily basis. Fire him and get a real Chancellor.

max1 6 years, 9 months ago

"I wish some of my fellow liberals would learn that life isn't Disney bullshlt, where we're all in a complete utopia of wonderful, happy contentment. I wish they would stop thinking that's even possible" -machiavelli

That's right -- give up!

http://americanhistory.si.edu/brown/reflections/topic.asp?p=4&s=&id=0 Separate is not equal What was your experience of going to school during segregation? Ramon Noches I attended two segregated elementary schools from 1946 to 1963. Both were in Kansas. My first school was Lincoln school in Lawrence, Kansas. It was one of two segregated schools in that city. The rest of the elementary schools south of the Kansas River were all fully integrated. There were about 40 students but only two teachers, Miss Thelma Hayter and Mrs. Lillian Webster Teacher/Principal). In 1951, my family moved to Topeka where my twin sister and I attended Monroe elementary school. While I believe the teachers were good, the instructional system was group paced. My sister and I found we were at least two years ahead of the Students at Monroe, especially in reading. Ramon C. Noches, Colonel USAF (Retired) Former pupil at Monroe Elementary School, Topeka, Kansas

Plessy v. Ferguson http://www.watson.org/~lisa/blackhistory/post-civilwar/plessy.html On June 7, 1892, a 30-year-old colored shoemaker named Homer Plessy was jailed for sitting in the "White" car of the East Louisiana Railroad. Plessy was only one-eighths black and seven-eighths white, but under Louisiana law, he was considered black and therefore required to sit in the "Colored" car.

Everything was just fine here in the "free-state" until the Negroes started moving in.

http://curiae.law.yale.edu/html/347-483/oralarg1.htm MR. JUSTICE JACKSON: You mentioned Topeka as one of the Free State settlements, and that seems to be the subject that is involved here with the segregation ordinances. Is there any explanation for that?

MR. WILSON: We have in Kansas history a period of migration of the Negro race to Kansas which we call the exodus, the black exodus, as spoken of in the history books. At that time, which was in the 'eighties, large numbers of Negro people came from the South and settled in Kansas communities. A large number of those people settled in Topeka and, for the first time, I presume-and again I am speculating-there was created there the problem of the racial adjustment within the community. . . I am assuming that, in my speculation for the Court, that segregation began to be practiced in Topeka after the exodus had given Topeka a substantial colored population.

machiavelli 6 years, 9 months ago

"How absurd, so many people fighting tooth and nail for continuation of white power majority.

When a black man, a mexican man and a white man can apply for a bank loan having the same credit and all be given the same answer:or apply for a job with the same experience and education and have an equal chance of getting that job, then you might have a point.

Until then, you are the Klan, nothing more."

Nah. See, I'm as liberal as they come. But I simply don't buy the argument that minorities have less opportunity than whites. Statements like that are based on the supposition that we're all equal in the first place--or at least supposed to be--so we should all have the same opportunity, right?

Wrong on both counts. We're not all equal; and the issue is more complicated than simply a matter of "equality."

You introduce a scenario where a black or hispanic man applies for a job, but will be presumably turned down in favor of a white man, all other things being equal. But that's where I have the problem. All things will never be "equal." It is simply impossible for qualifications to be "equal." Things will never be completely, one hundred percent equal. And that's even assuming that all three men graduated the same year, with the same degree, with the same GPA, at the same university, with the same major.

I wish some of my fellow liberals would learn that life isn't Disney bullshlt, where we're all in a complete utopia of wonderful, happy contentment. I wish they would stop thinking that's even possible.

americorps 6 years, 9 months ago

When a black man, a mexican man and a white man can apply for a bank loan having the same credit and all be given the same answer...or apply for a job with the same experience and education and have an equal chance of getting that job, then you might have a point.

Until then, you are the Klan, nothing more.

max1 6 years, 9 months ago

"I don't believe that Higher "Education" truly wants diversity of thought. Belief in the THEORY of Evolution will continue to be their sine qua non. Political Correctness will continue to be the only acceptable belief system. -mick

As mick pointed out, to be truly diversified KU needs to include the "fixed-earth" theory. Stop all this "politically correct" nonsense -- the earth doesn't revolve around the sun -- that's just Jewish mythology!

http://www.israelated.com/node/9279 I predicted this back during Coral Ridge Ministries' "Darwin's Deadly Legacy" documentary that claimed Darwinism was the real source of Nazism and the Holocaust. I pointed out then that most such historical revisionism winds up taking a snake's turn and then pinning the whole thing on the Jews. . . Now we're seeing it done by claiming that evolution was invented by the Jews. Since the Jews now "invented" evolution and the Nazis were Darwinists, then the Nazis were really the Jews. The second most powerful member of the Texas House of Representative, Warren Chisum passed on a memo from a Georgia House of Representatives member claiming that teaching evolution means teaching "Jewish religious beliefs." This particular idea comes from a hate site Fixed Earth, which claims among its other ravings, that the earth doesn't rotate but remains in place, that Einstein was a Kabbalist.

Georgia state Rep. Ben Bridges (Republican) issued a memo calling for the end of teaching evolution in schools and cited this website as a resource! http://www.fixedearth.com/ Read all about the Copernican and Darwinian Myths (and their many ramifications going all the way to Kabbala-based Big Bangism!) All of the evidence that is required to expose and destroy the counterfeit Copernican Model of a rotating and orbiting Earth--and the entire evolutionary paradigm resting upon that counterfeit--is set out on this web page.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2621240720070526 Dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark While the $27 million museum near Cincinnati has drawn snickers from media and condemnation from U.S. scientists, those who believe God created the heavens and the Earth in six days about 6,000 years ago say their views are finally being represented. Here exhibits show the Grand Canyon took just days to form during Noah's flood, dinosaurs coexisted with humans and had a place on Noah's Ark, and Cain married his sister to people the earth, among other Biblical wonders.

Newell_Post 6 years, 9 months ago

Diversity:

• Hire some smart ones
  • Hire some dumb ones
  • Hire some qualified ones
  • Hire some unqualified ones
  • Hire some good ones
  • Hire some bad ones

That's diverse isn't it?

Isn't it time we just hired the best ones and didn't look at anything else? For all of the faults of the current Supreme Court, I hope they manage to end the travesty of reverse discrimination. That wasn't even the purpose of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Christian Hinton 6 years, 9 months ago

Hmm...I don't really know enough to comment on the hire, but:

• Qualification should always take precedence over "diversity" or some kind of quota.
  • It is refreshing, however, to see references to diversity beyond race, etc. Diversity of thought seems like an interesting idea...maybe...

consumer1 6 years, 9 months ago

Once again the university is spending money friviously. And next year it will claim "we don't have any money"!! Wastefull nonsense.

imastinker 6 years, 9 months ago

The more of this stuff I read, the less I like Chancellor Hemenway.

I recieved a letter from KU a while ago. As a somewhat recent grad who is doing quite well, they thought I might share that money. I cannot think of places where I'd like to send my money less. I read about this, buildings being built while others are in disrepair, and I recall that my student loans that paid for my tuition are partly paying for others tuition, because KU thought it would be nice to use tuition dollars to give student loans from.

So anyway, I just bought a boat. Apperantly I'm not good at deciding when a boat is in good shape and it's wasted lots of my money. But at least I know that it's much better to waste money on an old boat that's not worth it than send it to KU. I'll have to remember that tonight as I patch the big hole in teh bottom that I somehow missed when I bought it. Nothing like a boat that doesn't float, but it's at least better than a universtiy administrator that cares nothign about the money he's spending so frivilously.

Godot 6 years, 9 months ago

In the back of my mind there is a memory of some controversy with Bryan when he was here before.

mick 6 years, 9 months ago

75x55 6 years, 9 months ago

KU_cynic - diversity in action?

KU_cynic 6 years, 9 months ago

I am reluctant to bring these points up, as I try to be open minded to KU hires, but:

1. This appears to be another example of a KU insider (former staffer, brand-new Ph.D. grad) being hired into an important position rather than a highly qualified outside person with a track record of success. It is also somewhat ironic that a newly minted black scholar is taking a job as a full-time administrator for diversity rather than taking a job as scholar engaged in full-time teaching and research. There are too many minority academics who take this route and that lose respect with the scholarly community in which they are trying to promote diversity.

2. That Bryan "has recently served" as provost at Ottawa University is prominently discussed in the KU press release. But, a google search on Bryan reveals a letter to the Ottawa University campus newspaper The Campus as follows:

Former Provost bids a farewell By Maurice Bryan Dear Students: You are aware by now that I have resigned from my administrative position at Ottawa University effective October 1, 2006. That I am leaving OU is clear. Why I am leaving is not. I cannot illuminate that for you here. All I can say is that circumstances arose recently that made it imperative that I resign.

The letter comes up under a banner with a May 2, 2007 date, but the story link itself carries a September 2006 link (www.thecampusnewspaper.com/news/2006/...).

How/why Ottawa University hired a provost without a Ph.D. and allowed him to serve in a top leadership position while he was still completing his Ph.D. at KU are good questions. Another good question is why did Bryan resign from Ottawa as provost in fall 2006? And why did he write such a cryptic letter to the student newspaper about his resignation?

I just hope that KU has done its homework on this hire.

perkins 6 years, 9 months ago

How absurd of KU to create and fund such a position as "vice provost for diversity and equity." Just burning our tax dollars and always begging for more. In private business the head honcho would simply notify his hiring staff to try to hire minorities if two candidates are otherwise equal. Will the free-spending Lawrence school district be next to create such an administrative position? I'm e-mailing this one to my state senator. Thanks, Journal World, for letting us know about this.

75x55 6 years, 9 months ago

"Bryan said he preferred to look at diversity in terms that transcend physical appearances and skin color."

Oh, la dee dah. If this is how he intends to view it, he will fail in this position.

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 9 months ago

KU has long tried for a quick quantitative rather than qualitative diversity. It's much easier to point to twenty professors who fit a "diverse hiring model" than it is to hire quality people as they become available. Realistically, it's a form of educational ghetto-ization because these hires end up teaching in very narrow areas (xyz - American Studies) that serves a very narrow customer base rather than placing qualified applicants throughout the university. In some departments (history), however, they've gone the opposite route and killed off good courses of study in an effort to place emphasis on more "diverse" topics. For example, the history department used to be very strong in military and diplomatic history, but this area has been marginalized in favor of various forms of social history.

Victor Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

Because the good ole boy system is still alive and well in this country. How smart is it to suggest that a person can receive a quality education without being exposed to others of different cultures, ideas, or beliefs. Furthermore, how can you live in Lawrence (the most liberal city in Kansas) and encourage diversity. Diversity is what makes this town so great!!!

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm still confused about the supposed need for "diversity." Why don't we just hire the smartest, most capable instructors we can. Period.

Horace 6 years, 9 months ago

Diversity, Diversity, Diversity. That's all we hear. But to what end?

It has been documented that diversity impairs educational satisfaction:

""It is commonly believed that increases in black enrollment will produce positive assessments from students about their educational experience. But in fact the correlations went in the opposite direction. As the proportion of black students rose, student satisfaction with their university experience dropped, as did their assessments of the quality of their education and the work ethic of their peers."