Archive for Monday, July 2, 2007

Petition opposes Sunday liquor sales

July 2, 2007

— Residents fighting to keep alcohol from being sold on Sunday are turning to churches for support, which they think will go a long way toward forcing a vote on the issue.

The Rev. Wade Moore, who is leading the petition, said a strong weekend push should bring more than the 6,701 valid Wichita voter signatures needed. The deadline for a petition to be turned in is the end of the business day today.

In Kansas, cities and counties have been allowed to approve Sunday alcohol sales since 2005, but the issue can be pushed to a public vote if opponents gather enough signatures.

More than 50 cities, including Lawrence, approved full-week sales by 2006. However, the serious discussion about the issue didn't surface in Wichita until last fall.

In late April, the City Council approved Sunday sales. Liquor stores and retailers would be able to sell packaged alcoholic beverages from noon to 8 p.m. Sundays.

Alcohol sales still would not be allowed on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If the petition falls short, the Sunday alcohol sales will start July 8.

"To me, and with all respect to people who want to vote, we're surrounded by people daily from other cities that have already approved Sunday sales," said Ron Groves, who owns Groves Discount Wine & Liquor in Wichita.

Comments

Patriot2 7 years, 5 months ago

Most likely fermented juice of grape...

Eileen Jones 7 years, 5 months ago

Exactly what will restricting Sunday liquor sales accomplish? I've never figured it out.

Only in backward Kansas.

manyblessings 7 years, 5 months ago

As a Christian who doesn't drink any alcohol at all, I still don't think the law makes much sense. I agree that the Sabbath is not really on Sunday, that is the Lord's Day. The Jewish Sabbath is Saturday, but we go to church on Sunday because that is the day Jesus rose from the dead. Either way, I don't think restricting people from buying liqour one day a week is going to change their drinking habits. It makes about as much sense as restricting people from any other sinful behavior just one day a week. "Go ahead steal from your neighbor, just not on Sunday".

gr 7 years, 5 months ago

"We're supposed to be a Christian nation,"

So it's a religious issue. What does drinking have to do with being a Christian? Is it bad? If so, why is it bad only on one day of the week? I mean, if "We're supposed to be a Christian nation", why should it ever be allowed? Why do I see "Christians" drinking and they aren't trying to hide it?

All those talking about their supposed rights being infringed, religion being forced down their throats, the preventing of selling a legal thing on a certain day sounds more like forcing religion down your throats more than those "other things". As the article states, religion is the sole point. Unlike homosexual "marriages" where it is against both religion and evolution.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

This law is slanted and the petition drive, which I hope is successful, is destined to be repeated. Here's how it works: border communities got dollar signs in front of their eyes which clouded their judgment, not unlike counties near across state line casinos. So, they started flaunting the state laws on the sale of cereal malt and alcoholic beverages. They called it local option. Then, the state legislature got into the act and altered the law, allowing governmental subdivisions (municipalities and counties) to "opt-out" of the state regulated hours for legal sales. All it takes is a vote of a city council or county commission. Since politicians are all money hungry, they have been on the fast track to make more tax money by selling in their jurisdiction rather than letting the bucks slip away.

It is all well and good until a petition drive is successful. The petitioners are accused of "costing us money" because an election is required. Actually, the governmental entity that votes to expand sales is responsible for that expense, but shifting blame is also a political specialty. Then the people speak; they say "NO" to what their elected officials have authorized.

One would think that would be the end of it. It the petition fails within a certain period of time, subsequent to the opt-out vote by the council / commissioners, it is over. If the petition is successfully raised and the election say "YES" to sales, it is over. But if the election says "NO" all they have to do is wait a year. A simple vote of the council / commission can reauthorize expanded sales. Guess what? The petition has to be circulated again. There is no end to the number of times the government can attempt to opt-out. Every attempt requires opponents to recirculate a petition calling for an election. If you have ever be a circulator of a petition, you know it is hard work.

It isn't right. The law is poorly written. We should be restricting the sales of the addictive and destructive products. The deck is stacked. It seems, at the very least, that once a petition is successful and an election is won, that pro-alcohol forces should have to do the legwork to call for another election.

I wish Pastor Moore all the success - but he is playing in an unfair game. With the alcohol industry and its interests behind it, should anyone be surprised?

Confrontation 7 years, 5 months ago

Muslims don't drink, and their day of "worship" is on Friday. You don't see them complaining about liquor sales on Fridays, do you? Whiney baby Christians.

ndmoderate 7 years, 5 months ago

Christians don't need more laws to protect themselves from....well, themselves. Aren't they supposed to be able to resist "temptation?"

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 5 months ago

The Christian "argument" against Sunday liquor sales is silly. I reject the notion that this is "supposed to be a Christian nation" and that, in a Christian nation, there should be no Sunday liquor sales. Jesus would then have to work constantly on Sundays, turning water into wine. And why shouldn't every store close? And why should anybody have to work? Perhaps it's OK for heathens to work? ...but not in a liquor store? ...and without the ability to buy liquor at a liquor store? ...but simply be forced to go out to eat and have a beer, or plan ahead for imbibination? This is so ridiculous. It would make so much more sense to advocate for banning all liquor sales. I;d drink to that!~)

acg 7 years, 5 months ago

Hey, bible beaters, you don't want any liquor on Sunday, then don't buy any! Leave the rest of us that might want to grab a 12 pack of beer or a bottle of wine on a Sunday the hell alone. I get so tired of the religious nut jobs trying to regulate everything for the rest of us. I think church is more dangerous than booze. Let's ban church instead.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Sigh. . . .

I wish we didn't have the philosophy that we must protect ourselves from ourselves.

And I wish folks like above mentioned pastor and purplesage didn't labor under the illusion that they know what is best for us.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't want it sold on any day. Since that isn't going to happen, I'll take Sunday. If we can limit it, so much the better. I figure that, if the store being closed prevents the sale of that last booze and somebody is spared a DUI accident, it is a good thing.

You buying alcohol IS my business. If you drink it, it impairs you to some degree. If I work where you work, and you miss work, I have to take up some of the slack. If I drive where you drive, I have to be extra vigilant because your judgment and response time isn't what it could be. We could go on but you get my drift.

Alcohol is a drug. It is the most widely abused drug in the world.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't see why you'd think we'd be surprised, right-thinker. With an issue that would require You to make sacrifices and change your behavior, as opposed to other people you don't know, of course you're opinion is going to vary from normal.

gccs14r 7 years, 5 months ago

My guess is we have a couple of folks in recovery here who're having trouble not caving to temptation and their god isn't helping, so they want the government to step in to save them from themselves.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 5 months ago

""We're supposed to be a Christian nation," Moore said. "And I believe that Sundays should be set aside for worship to almighty God. Banks are closed on Sundays, businesses are closed on Sunday. It's supposed to be a day of rest.""

I AM a Bible-beating Christian and I think these statements make no sense. We are commanded to acknowledge God 24/7, so why we are so righteously upset about drunkeness on SUNDAY I don't understand. God gets pretty pissed at that on Monday, too. Also, since when was drinking "work"? Alcohol is a depressant: drink enough and you'll pass out. It ain't the best rest a guy can have, but it's rest (just kidding, please don't say Old Enuf said you should do that). Any alcoholic who doesn't have a bottle stashed for emergencies really isn't keeping up standards. Not selling beer on Sunday does not equate to no-one being drunk on Sunday. Duh. I just hate it when our religious leaders make us Christians look stoooopid.

I think we'd all be better off if booze was completely outlawed (like that would ever happen again); but until it's illegal EVERY day, I don't see the point of making it illegal on Sunday.

Besides, what if I want to make my famous beer-battered fish after church? I rest real good after a plate of those. The Sunday bird is especially good if you stick a can of beer up its butt and put it on the grill. Surely God wouldn't oppose that.

hawklet21 7 years, 5 months ago

purplesage, have you NEVER seen an adult have a one glass of wine or one beer? Not everyone has to get completely wasted every time they drink. Even if some people do want to get drunk, not every single one of them is going to automatically go hop in the car. Stop trying to act all high and mighty just because you have made the choice not to drink.

deec 7 years, 5 months ago

Old, "It ain't the best rest a guy can have, but it's rest" "Any alcoholic who doesn't have a bottle stashed for emergencies really isn't keeping up standards." I don't agree with you on basically anything, but..you're a funny guy. Thanks for the giggle.

staff04 7 years, 5 months ago

Sweet Jebus...right_thinker and I agree on something...bring on the locusts!

Ghost78 7 years, 5 months ago

Actually, we're a nation that supports religious freedom. Observing Sunday as a day devoted to religious activity is a common occurance, but the government should have no input one way or another as to the sanctification of that day or any day. Rev. Moore should read up on Thomas Jefferson and his reasoning behind the separation of church and state. As Christians, we can't force others to observe the same beliefs and traditions, but we can preach on Sunday without having to submit our notes to City Hall for approval.

deec 7 years, 5 months ago

So ministers shouldn't work either? What about restaurants? Hospitals? Police? I guess farmers should not feed their livestock or milk the cows, and the womenfolk better stay out of the kitchen. What about the Christian sects that celebrate the day of rest on Saturday? Jews and Muslims? They have a different Sabbath. What about Catholics? Their Sabbath starts around sundown on Saturday and last until sundown on Sunday (or else why would Saturday night mass count as Sunday mass).

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 5 months ago

Mmmm beer, the solution to and cause of all of life's problems.

~ Homer Simpson

Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

~ Ben Franklin

feeble 7 years, 5 months ago

Alcohol is a drug. It is the most widely abused drug in the world.

This is patently false. Nicotine and caffiene usage far and away outstrip alcohol consumption.

Amendment XXI: Section 1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

The people have spoken.

Tychoman 7 years, 5 months ago

"We're supposed to be a Christian nation," Moore.

No we're not.

PeteJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Outlaw booze and only outlaws will drink booze, or something like that. Because it worked so well last time.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 5 months ago

If God is opposed to consuming alcohol on Sundays, then for goodness sake, stop taking communion!

Emily Hadley 7 years, 5 months ago

"We're supposed to be a Christian nation,"

Actually, nope!

trinity 7 years, 5 months ago

get 'em hawklet, i agree 100%!!!!!

have a nice monday, lol.

gr 7 years, 5 months ago

"Stop trying to act all high and mighty just because you have made the choice not to drink."

I believe the answer will reveal why your statement is based upon emotion rather than thought. You are addicted, you want to drink, you get upset at anyone even suggesting you should not.

gccs14r 7 years, 5 months ago

"So you think a little bit of alcohol is not bad? Then, argue this point. Why is it not permited to give children a little bit of alcohol?"

That's a leftover from the Puritans. Go anywhere else in the Western world and you'll find that having a bit of wine with dinner isn't reserved only for adults. Americans don't understand moderation or common sense, so we end up with stupid laws on the books, including ones that say people younger than 18 can't have any alcohol (except when they can, such as when they take Nyquil).

mom_of_three 7 years, 5 months ago

George Washington and some of the other founding fathers were not actually Christians. Some believe George Washington was a deist. He believed in a god, but didn't believe all that was in the Bible. So no, we were not founded as a Christian nation, and we are supposed to be whatever we want to be.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, give it up...people who drink on Sundays usually aren't churchgoers anyway, and the churchgoers usually don't drink on Sunday. So what difference could it possibly make?

Although you could probably find anomalies in both groups...

And some religious belief has no business dictating what the law should be, anyway.

Like not having liquor sales on Sun. stops people from drinking on Sun. anyway. You can still go to a private club. Or a restaurant that serves it. Or buy it on Sat. and save it till Sun.

The sabbath is not on Sun. for everyone. Not even all Christians.

boltzmann 7 years, 5 months ago

In the words of Bugs Bunny "What a maroon!."

Confrontation 7 years, 5 months ago

"b3 (Anonymous) says:

I know a couple of sunni muslims from Iraq, and they drink beer just fine. Believe me every Muslim that i have ever known has also drank."

Most stupid comment of the day. I know at least 15 Muslims here in Lawrence, and none of them drink. I know that some Muslims drink, just like some Catholics abort their fetuses. However, don't try to feed a lie to everyone and insinuate that all Muslims drink just because you met a few.

ramsrevenge 7 years, 5 months ago

God, do I love beer.

Sure kids can drink, I've been drinking wine(i mean, the blood of christ) every Sunday since I was 6!

lawrencechick 7 years, 5 months ago

If you don't want a beer on Sunday.......don't drink one! Keep religion out of the law.

drewdun 7 years, 5 months ago

purplesage maintains that the people in Wichita will vote against Sunday sales if given the opportunity. Care to place a tiny wager on that, purple?

I'll even put the o/u for pro-Sunday sales at 65.5%.

kefarris 7 years, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says:

I'm unaware of the law that states you have to drink booze on the same day you buy it.

It's a personal guidline.....except on Saturdays.

mr_economy 7 years, 5 months ago

From the Book of Genesis:

20 And Noah began to be a husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: 21 and he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.

If it was good enough for Noah, it's good enough for me. Noah drank wine, Jesus turned water into wine - how exactly the temperance movement fools arrive at their conclusion that it is un-Christian to drink is beyond me. Moreover, if you feel drinking on Sunday is inappropriate, might I suggest...wait for it...not drinking on Sunday? Meanwhile, those of us who do not believe and enjoy sleeping in on Sundays can enjoy just another ordinary weekend day.

Bloody morons.

pelliott 7 years, 5 months ago

i don't remember being a christian nation, i thought it was freedom of religion here, must of changed while we slept. i don't drink, i don't like drinking, i don't think you should drink, i have no problem with people being able to buy booze on Sunday. i have a lot of problem with enacting laws that force people to respect the christian sabbath. I would like to get more of those blue laws off the books. I do think church property should be taxed, no reason that property should ride on my taxes.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 5 months ago

15% discount on Sunday liquor sales if you show a concealed handgun.

fletch 7 years, 5 months ago

"figure that, if the store being closed prevents the sale of that last booze and somebody is spared a DUI accident, it is a good thing."

Or we could just ban people from driving on Sunday, and that will spare some DUIs as well. As for the whole "Christian nation" rhetoric, it sounds a whole lot like what we hear out of Iran, Iraq, and Palestine. And as we all know, those nations experience nothing but peace and domestic bliss because of their blending religion with government. :)

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

rt: "Stating for the record today, I do not want any group or group imposing their personal agenda or outlook on how to live life shoved in my face or your face::.."you do what you do and I do what I do"-again, of course all things considered legal and not hurting anyone else."

Since when have you had the "live and let live" attitude about life in America? I hope people remember when and where you wrote this, so they can shove it back in your face the next four hundred times you post something against gay marriage.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

Like DUIs never happen on Sundays, 75x55, because some people can't buy it on that day.

Get real.

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

Besmirch? How is that even possible? Isn't that like saying someone who buys alcohol on Sunday is besmirching the Christian religion, so people shouldn't be allowed to do it? That logic flies in the face of your stated live and let live philosophy. And isn't voting against something the same as trying to stop it?

What a swell guy! Such a kind and caring person who clearly wants what is best for all people! And not at all a hypocrite. Really.

Sagecasey 7 years, 5 months ago

Sunday sales would decrease drunks on the road. They could buy it and stay at home instead of going to a bar to drink and then drive home.

Keith 7 years, 5 months ago

"15% discount on Sunday liquor sales if you show a concealed handgun."

What a ripoff. Any other day of the week, you show a handgun you get your booze free and they kick in all the money in the register to boot. That is, unless the store clerk/owner wants to show you the nice shotgun he keeps under the counter.

davidnta 7 years, 5 months ago

It's all about having the ability to control others that gives one power.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

Defender, don't resort to name calling because we disagree on the booze issue. I am a prohibitionist; obviously you aren't. But I won't call you a fool.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

Well, drewden, I don't gamble. So no bet. And it I did, no bet. Wichita will probably vote for expanded alcohol sales. However, you misread me. I do not maintain that position. This issue has been voted on in a number of communities. The majority have voted to expand sales. My post has to deal with the slant of the law that allows it to be brought back and back until the desired result is attained. Reminds me a bit of a school bond election. People say "no" and the BOE puts it right back on the next ballot. Over and over, until it passes. Only in this case, anti-expanded sales folks have to do ALL of the work. Interesting how the state law can be overridden by local municipalities. Doesn't higher government regulation usually take precedence? When President Nixon declared 55 MPH to be the speed limit, I don't think states had an option. Certainly no option if they wanted highway funds.

cheer67 7 years, 5 months ago

Is not selling it on Sunday going to help anything? Just because you can't buy it, doesn't mean you won't drink it. That just means everyone stocks up on Saturday.

acg 7 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't help anything, cheer. It's just another example of the christians hitting us all over the head with their bibles.

Crossfire 7 years, 5 months ago

We're supposed to be a Christian nation. This does not change the fact that we are a nation of beer drinkers. The revolution that made us free was hatched in the taverns of this nation. George Washington was a brewer. Sam Adams, Tom Jefferson, J. Hancock all brewers. At any time there are more people in the taverns of this land than the churchs. July 4 we will celebtate with beer. I gotta go... Beer time.

gr 7 years, 5 months ago

mr_economy : "From the Book of Genesis:

If it was good enough for Noah, it's good enough for me."

So, are you one who thinks if it's in the Bible, it's ok to do? The verses you quote show it's NOT ok to do. Look at the results. You gave a good reason not to drink.

============

Still no reason for not selling on one day. Sounds like the government is promoting anti-muslim, anti-jew, and anti-other Christians who don't worship on Sundays.

And the only way that works for the promoted group, is if a drunk is so bad off he buys it ahead of time and then can't resist and drinks it all up Saturday night. Since he can't get any more, he decides (just barely able to decide!), just as well go to church.