Archive for Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sheriff’s report: Fatal accident result of alcohol, speeding

Kyle Almeida died in Tuesday accident

January 31, 2007, 12:06 p.m. Updated January 31, 2007, 12:33 p.m.

A preliminary report by the Douglas County Sheriff's Office shows that the driver in a fatality wreck in Douglas County yesterday may have been under the influence of alcohol.

The report, released today by the sheriff's office, also shows that the driver, 23-year-old Kyle Almeida, was going too fast for the conditions on the gravel stretch of East 1600 Road.

The wreck happened Tuesday morning just after 2:30 a.m. when Almeida's 1997 Ford Taurus went out control just after the road, also known as O'Connell Youth Ranch Road, switched from pavement to gravel.

According to the report, the car was traveling straight and on the road when it began to skid, eventually flipping several times before coming to rest in the west ditch. Almeida, who was not wearing his seatbelt, was ejected from the car and pronounced dead on the scene.

A coroner's report on Almeida was not yet complete.

Almeida's passenger, Tim Beggs, 26, Lawrence, suffered only minor injuries and was treated and released at the scene. Biggs was wearing a seatbelt, the report showed.

Comments

countrygirl 8 years, 6 months ago

Sad that he won't have a chance to learn from his mistakes. I only hope that others will learn. Will keep the family and friends in my thoughts.

cutny 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey Person_of_interest, Granted you're a genius for your intuitive perception. I think in cases like this though, your color commentary is neither needed nor appreciated, lest someone close to you find themselves in a similar situation.

Emily Hadley 8 years, 6 months ago

This is a terrible shame. All drivers, young and old, have lucky escapes from inexperience, bad decisions, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is so sad that Kyle didn't have a chance to grow older and wiser. Tim was very lucky to be wearing his seat belt, but also that chance kept him from being injured further. Rollovers happen without other factors, and sometimes the rollover itself prevents those inside from being protected by the car as they are in non-rollover accidents. I have lost many friends to car accidents with alcohol involved, and nothing makes it easier. My heart goes out to Kyle's friends and family.

CindiCat 8 years, 6 months ago

Amen to the post from "cutny".....very well said indeed.

Sandra Willis 8 years, 6 months ago

All I can say, is that it's very sad for this young man's family and his friends; I hope they all learn to wear seat-belts in their cars.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 6 months ago

"Whatever the cause - SEATBELTS, people, SEATBELTS!"

But, do not fail to recognize "the cause". We need to be less accepting of how addictions impact our lives. Teach your youngsters how to respect alcohol and set the right example for them in how YOU respect alcohol in your home.

countrygirl 8 years, 6 months ago

Lessons for today-- Wear Your Seatbelt Don't Drive and Drive

Sadly it often takes losing a loved one to one of those things before people will wake up. I lost a friend in high school to drunk driving--made me swear that I'd never do it. Very sorry for the family and friends though--that's a tough way to learn a lesson.

imastinker 8 years, 6 months ago

Having worked quite a few accidents, only a very few of the major ones I can remember didn't involve alcohol or drugs. I've never seen anyone die that was buckled in either.

It amazes me that people do these things - and it's important to learn from these mistakes.

Emily Hadley 8 years, 6 months ago

If you read the history of the posts of the individual above me, you will see that he presents himself as a sarcastic ranter without regard to topic. As he is anonymous, we should also not acknowledge his existence.

mammaweeks3 8 years, 6 months ago

I find it sad that when a tragedy like this happens to an innocent family people chose to be judgmental and not supportive. To the family of those affected by this tragedy, you are in my thoughts and prayers. To those of you with children please take the time to talk to them about what can happen due to one mistake. I hope that others will learn from this and something positive will come about.

Tychoman 8 years, 6 months ago

Guys it's a preliminary report. Lighten up just a titch.

compmd 8 years, 6 months ago

A friend will try to take your keys from you if you are drinking.

A true friend will punch you in the face if you don't give him the keys.

I've dealt with enough macho early twentysomethings that think they can drive drunk. Personally, I like to gank their ECU fuse if I can. Once I punched a stubborn drunk friend in the face because he wouldn't give me his keys. Yes, I gave him fair warning; he thanked me the next day. Same friend went driving drunk a week later, got hit by ANOTHER drunk driver, destroyed his one week old car, and has to live with the DUI on his record.

Don't drink and drive. Please.