Archive for Tuesday, January 30, 2007

World Company wins ‘Edgie’ online awards

Lawrence.com, Ellington Web framework receive multiple honors for fifth straight year

January 30, 2007

For the fifth year in a row, The World Company has won multiple New Media Federation Digital Edge Awards sponsored by the Newspaper Association of America.

The 2007 awards were announced Monday in Las Vegas at NAA's annual marketing conference.

Lawrence.com was named Best Local Guide or Entertainment Site, and Best Design and Site Architecture for Web sites among newspapers with a circulation of 75,000 or less. It was the fourth year in a row that lawrence.com was honored.

Dan Simons, president of The World Company's Electronic Division, recognized Dan Cox, head of the online operation, and his staff for the awards.

"The awards show that our crew - our programmers and editorial staff - were smart when the Internet was just starting to get fun, and that we continue to stay out ahead of the curve," Simons said. "We don't invent things just because we can. We invent things because that's what our users want, and that's what sets us apart."

The online operation is being rechristened Mediaphormedia in recognition of the growing importance of the software component.

"Edgie" Award winners are at the cutting edge of a changing industry, said Eric Grilly, president and CEO of MediaNews Group Interactive and New Media Federation president.

"The winning sites and finalists exemplify the best in innovation and raw talent that NAA member organizations have to offer," he said.

The World Company Web sites are powered by Ellington, a Web publishing system written and sold by Mediaphormedia. Thirteen Ellington-powered sites were nominated for Edgie awards this year.

Comments

Sigmund 8 years, 6 months ago

Mediaphormedia? Well I guess management has to appear to be contributing something! In any event, congrats.

sourpuss 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree, gl0ck. I was just thinking that it was refreshing to see another story in the Journal-World about how great they are. I was a little worried that our local paper was having some self-esteem issues, as I hadn't seen a self-congratulatory story in a few days.

Still, I can't really eat or sleep properly until the LJW wins a Pulitzer. They almost got one... haven't been right since.

Tom McCune 8 years, 6 months ago

I must say that I think these awards are well deserved. No, I'm not a mole for the LJW. However, I have lived in a number of different cities and watch their newspaper websites every now and then. I also travel on business and use JLWorld.com to keep up on the old home town rabble rousers, politicians, and malcontents while traveling.

p>JLWorld.com really is the best local news website I follow. That is mostly due to you, dear readers, and your scintillating commentary. (The BBC is the best overall, but they have the whole world to draw on, I suppose. It's not quite a fair fight.) However, LJW really does provide a better and easier forum than anyone else in a similar market.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

while I do wonder at the self-congratulatory article swing lately, I think this is the best newspaper site I've ever seen. far friendlier than, for example, LAtimes, KC[red]star, and was just reading at the Monterey County Herald (that's in CA for the geographically challenged). since I use it, and am posting in it right now, perhaps it is a little obvious that I also am impressed with the freedom accorded the comment section. sometimes, there's got to be some courage for the LJW poobahs to have comment sections on some articles. these comment boards are head and shoulders better than anything else I've seen. thanks.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

when I saw the headline, thought there was an awarded granted for IP's postings..."edgie."

classclown 8 years, 6 months ago

A wedgie award. How cool is that. Are points awarded for style as well as brute force?

Oh wait... Edgie award.