Kansas legislature

Kansas Legislature

Statewide smoking ban hits snag in committee

New amendment to bill raises questions

January 30, 2007

— A proposed statewide ban on smoking in most indoor workplaces is smoldering in a Senate committee.

The Judiciary Committee was set to vote on the measure Tuesday, but a new amendment to the bill raised several questions, so Chairman John Vratil, R-Leawood, postponed action.

"I'm not sure we could discuss the bill long enough," Vratil said. Because of questions surrounding the proposal, "I'm in no hurry to pass this out of committee."

As introduced, Senate Bill 37 by Sen. David Wysong, R-Mission Hills, would impose a statewide ban on smoking in most indoor places where the public gathers.

But numerous amendments have been added to the legislation in committee. One would exempt cigar socials that benefit charities. Another would ensure that truckers could smoke while driving since their cabs are considered workplaces.

On Tuesday, Sen. Derek Schmidt, R-Independence, tried to amend the measure to allow counties to opt out of a smoking ban, with provisions for a county-wide election.

Schmidt said this would give voters the opportunity to weigh in on the issue.

But several committee members questioned whether cities would be allowed to opt in and out if the bill became law, and how it would affect places, such as Lawrence, which already have a smoking ban.

Vratil said the committee will continue working on the bill.

Comments

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

laffin' my butt off!! have these jokers made a big enough MESS out of this bill YET???

good lord.

southwords 7 years, 10 months ago

Gee, you don't suppose they are doing that on purpose, do you?

Meatwad 7 years, 10 months ago

This will never be a state issue. Any controversial issue that can be passed down to local governments will.

I'm in favor of smoking bans, but I kinda like Schmidt's idea of allowing counties to opt out and give voters an opportunity to decide. I have no doubt that the majority favor indoor-smoking bans. If it were put to a vote in Lawrence, I know MANY smokers who would even vote for it.

Once a city has a smoking ban, they don't want to go back.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 10 months ago

The European Union's 27 member states are being urged to do more to turn Europe into a smoke-free zone.

Health Commissioner Markos Kyprianou raised the prospect of EU-wide legislation to achieve this goal, as he launched a public debate in Brussels.

Officials say passive smoking kills 79,000 Europeans per year - about one in nine of all tobacco-related deaths.

Ireland was the first EU country to ban smoking in all indoor public spaces and the UK will follow suit this year.

Some other EU countries have introduced partial bans, which allow smoking rooms in bars and restaurants.

budwhysir 7 years, 10 months ago

Where there is smoke there is usualy fire, I see this is going to be a long battle between smokers and non smokers.

gbulldog 7 years, 10 months ago

My father was a smoker, my mother is not. Everyday she must us a machine in order to breath. This is Asma related and I believe caused by my father smoked.

Smoking also contributed to his death. He was a WW II vet. Have you studied what the tobacco companies did to the soldiers.

It is a proven fact that a smoker affect the lives of both the smoker and the non smoker. As a non smoker I belief I have to right not to suffer from second hand. Also they STINK and ruin enclosed spaces. Have you ever had to go into an elevator or ride in a car of a smoker. Very difficult.

There is only one solution to the Smoking Issue. Any person that smokes must be requied to eat the but. They must also shower and change clothes before coming into contact with any non smoker. Smokers are ignorant and lazy. I am not giving up my rights to appease a dirty stinking smoker.