Archive for Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Lawrence’s recycling leader leaving

January 30, 2007

The city leader who is responsible for overseeing Lawrence's recycling efforts has accepted a job in Spokane, Wash.

Mollie Mangerich, the city's waste reduction and recycling supervisor, will leave Friday. Mangerich, who has worked for the city for 11 years, will be working for the city of Spokane.

"Mollie's knowledge in waste reduction and recycling, coupled with her energy have been a great benefit to the City of Lawrence," said Chuck Soules, director of Public Works. "We wish her the best and know that her reputation as a leader in the field will continue to grow in her new position."

Comments

kmat 8 years, 7 months ago

When you live in a town the size of Lawrence, everything is news.

meburr 8 years, 7 months ago

Who's actually leaving - Mollie or Diana?? I think JW didn't do their homework....

Spades 8 years, 7 months ago

We have recycling in Lawrence? Where? Everywhere that I have lived, recycling is picked up just like the garbage, but Lawrence doesn't have this. Were we, the taxpayers, paying a salary of a person, who oversaw nothing? Or was there other recycling that this person was in charge of, such as a city compost heap or something?

Emily Hadley 8 years, 7 months ago

Roundabouts actually make everyone slow down, but they move more traffic faster.

I'm sure you know that and you are just trying to be a curmudgeon, but just in case.

pelliott 8 years, 7 months ago

I think Mollie has done pretty well. I wish her the best. That is a hard position. If we want more drop offs and curbside pickup by the city, we have to be firm and demand it from the comissioners. Everytime it is proposed, the few independants say that it would hurt their business. These are decent people and I think they could be incorporated into a change over but recycling should not be relegated to the role of giving work to a few to pick up a little, it has to be done seriously and city wide. Its role is to reduce waste, to reduce pollution. Nothing teaches people who to reduce their use of material like personal recycling. There is also the feeling in sanitation that any major change is to imply that somehow what they are doing is wrong. That isn't so, it just needs to change. Sanitation workers work hard, without them this town would be a dirtier and unhealthy place to live.
While i am on it. I would start with recyclable materials with a healthy recovery system in place, then increase material types over time. I would start with card board, newspaper, metals, papers. I would leave plastics and glass until the recovery system for them is more mature. The best recovery for glass and plastic contianers, in my opinion is a bottle bill. That really works. Bite the buller commissions. Lets move on it. By the way, call comissioners direct, don't pass your remarks to sanitation. It will have to be comission led, and they need to be led by us.

budwhysir 8 years, 7 months ago

Are roundabouts made from recycled concrete and other recycled products?? Maybe they are earth friendly roadway obstacles.