Archive for Friday, January 26, 2007

Man dies after electric wheelchair catches fire

January 26, 2007

Advertisement

— A retiree died after his electric wheelchair caught fire and he couldn't escape, authorities said Thursday.

Harold Jump, 63, was engulfed in flames and suffered burns over more than 75 percent of his body, said county coroner's spokesman Craig Harvey. He was pronounced dead Wednesday at a Los Angeles hospital, Harvey said.

The wheelchair motor apparently touched off the fire.

"His wheelchair started to catch on fire, and he just couldn't get out of his wheelchair," said Assistant Fire Chief Mark Bennett of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

Comments

thanksforcoming 8 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the Jump family will sue and we won't have to see the Hov-a-round commercials anymore. I guess I could change the channel when they come on, but for some reason they remind me of "Dumb and Dumber" when Lloyd Christmas gets robbed by the old lady. Too bad the guys last name was Jump, how ironic.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

do we know this was a hov-a-round?

yes, I really find those ads quite irritating too!


this is a very sad story and I know that Mr. Jump died in a dreadful way. hope this is not the beginning of a trend, say, caused by the batteries.

I've heard of people's cell phone batteries catching fire in their pockets. and laptop batteries recalled for fire/explosion.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.