Archive for Thursday, January 25, 2007

Swine still running wild in rural areas

State to use gunmen to take care of problem

January 25, 2007

Nearly a year after gunmen in helicopters shot and killed dozens of feral swine in Douglas County and other areas of the state, the animals are still causing headaches for rural landowners.

Herds of wild hogs have been confirmed in 25 counties, and they have been seen in 10 more counties, Kansas Livestock Commissioner George Teagarden said. A survey taken by a wildlife biologist last fall estimated that herd sizes ranged from fewer than 100 hogs to as many as 2,000 in one area, he said.

"We confirmed that we had a bigger problem than we realized," Teagarden said.

Last year, the state launched a control and eradication program aimed at wild hogs. The services of a wildlife biologist were obtained in an agreement with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to establish a program to deal with the wild hog problem and work with landowners.

A USDA helicopter and gunmen will be used again this spring, Teagarden said. Landowners must give permission for the helicopter to be used for hunting on their land.

The Kansas Legislature approved a $125,000 appropriation for the program last year.

"We have limited money so we have to prioritize our hunts to where there is the most damage and the most risk to commercial swine operations," Teagarden said. "We hope we can expand our efforts because the population is growing pretty rapidly."

Chad Richardson, the USDA wildlife biologist, said a helicopter hunt likely would be conducted again in Douglas County in the Clinton Lake area, the same area where about 25 wild hogs were shot and killed last March. He estimates there are probably about 100 hogs in that area.

"There's definitely still hogs around there," Richardson said.

Sportsmen used to hunt hogs on state hunting land at the lake, but that has been stopped by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. The hunting was driving the hogs off public land and onto private properties, state game agents have said.

In fact, the state banned wild hog hunting last year. Landowners having problems with wild hogs can shoot and kill them. They also can designate others to kill them, but a special free permit must be obtained from Teagarden's office.

The wild hogs cause problems for landowners because they carry disease that can spread to other animals and cause damage to land and crops.

Comments

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

I've seen them in western Smith and eastern Phillips counties. Hog roast sounds like fun!

Kelly Powell 7 years, 8 months ago

allow hunting...but only with spears and such.....that is a real mans sport....i'd advise anyone willing to do this to look into some chain mail and most definitely gr eaves.

LogicMan 7 years, 8 months ago

I haven't seen any wild hogs (other than Harley riders) yet near Lawrence (and I've had the opportunity for many years now ...). Anyone see them very close to the city? If so, which side(s) of town? Near tree lines, open fields, near creeks, ...?

michial2 7 years, 8 months ago

Well put Ridgerunner!! I have been sending emails to any state offcials that I can find with just that info. I feel that a small fee permit ($5)and reporting kills would be the best form of eradication.

I have read info that says that wild pigs will find and eat turkey eggs and pults, new born fawns and any thing else they can find, and the WILL find eveyrthig including things other predeters can not find!

Nate Poell 7 years, 8 months ago

I eat very little meat any more, and I've heard the flesh is pretty tough, but smoked wild pig sounds absolutely awesome. Anyone had it?

stopthenoise 7 years, 8 months ago

Several comments:

Pigs were not released intentionally for the sport of hunting. 10 years ago, the bottom fell out of the pork market and some were released by farmers. Also, some just escape and do to the lack of natural predators, survive to reproduce.

Some populations of wild pigs in western kansas were effectively eliminated by hunters at the request of farmers.

State and federal wildlife management agency efforts were thwarted when criticized by local tree huggers and the LJW (LJW Mike Belt Headline: "Wild Pigs Gunned Down at Clinton Lake").

Legislation based on "political science" outlawing the hunting of wild pigs, was introduced by our very own Francisco (MF). I didn't know she had a wildlife management degree.

Now there is no mechanism to control a growing population. Hogs eat anything and will destroy turkey, quail and other ground nests this spring. They uproot plants, destroy streambeds, eat crops and introduce disease. They are a very destructive animal.

There is only one cost-effective solution. Open a year-round hunting and live-trapping season. Perhaps a bounty should be considered.

Janet Lowther 7 years, 8 months ago

As I understand it, in Missouri hunters are REQUIRED to shoot any wild hogs they are in a position to kill.

stopthenoise 7 years, 8 months ago

I mention trapping because that is what the wildlife and parks guys have been directed to do. It is live-trapping and as long as the traps are checked regularily, other species can be released.

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh Edwin--LOL!!! Would she feel the same about you? Thanks for the laugh though.

Jean1183 7 years, 8 months ago

Wild boar is delicious! The rule for any "tough" meat is "low and slow". Low temperature, slow cooked. Oven or crockpot.

Local hunters would love to hunt them but it is now illegal.

stopthenoise 7 years, 8 months ago

This reporter is certainly sensationalizing this by referring to the wildlife biologists as "gunmen".

Think he's a little gun shy?

gr 7 years, 8 months ago

"The main reason Kansas has a problem with wild hogs is because domestic hogs have been released by people who favor hog hunting. The domestic hogs quickly become wild and rapidly produce offspring that are born in the wild."

Just because someone's hog goes out in "the wild" and has piglets, doesn't make them "wild hogs". So, technically, these wild hogs are really "domestic hogs" released into the wild. (Where'd I hear that?)

There's no ban on hunting domestic hogs, is there? Or, can you hunt... er...harvest your own domestic hogs you "released" at some indeterminate time which you can't remember in the past? At what point does one determine if they are domestic or wild? Length of unknown time? Ugliness?

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 8 months ago

But the article still got the point across.

stopthenoise 7 years, 8 months ago

Ooooo...gunned down. OK, I surrender to the "gunmen" comment.

But I do know that the "gunmen" were wildlife biologists. One was a friend of mine and he has since quit this KDWP job- too many politicians getting involved he said. They spent months preparing and baiting the hogs before the gunship arrived.

Are we having fun yet.

kristen23 7 years, 8 months ago

A wild boar ran toward my boyfriend and his friend during the last deer season out at clinton. He shot it 3 times and it took of running. He tracked it for a mile until it was too dark to look anymore. I helped him look for it the next morning but we could not find it.

They are very large and dangerous animals.

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey--why does it only have to be "gunmen"?? I want in on the fun too!

stopthenoise 7 years, 8 months ago

Would that be gunwomen or gungirls? Women are better shots....atleast that's what I have heard.

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

Chuckle--I'm a bit old to be called a girl, even though that's how I sign in here. I've got .270 and can hit what I aim at. So I want to go too!

chad_richardson 7 years, 8 months ago

Just to clear the air somewhat, I am the "gunman" in this article. I work for the USDA Wildlife Services program and I am a Wildlife biologist. I was hoping this article would answer a lot of questions about this situation but it seems that it has created more questions than answers. This is not the fault of the reporter. I spoke with Mike three times yesterday on the phone about this and I think he had good intentions and I suspect that his editors cut most of the good information in this peice to make it fit in a given space.

I know everyone who hunts enjoys hunting hogs as well, and I understand that people are upset with the hunting ban but with permission on private land, anyone can still hunt hogs. The reason for the ban was to hopefully curltail additional releases. Hunting (like it or not guys) has been shown in just about every case to NOT be effective in controlling feral swine populations. The reason is because a hunter usually gets one pig killed and scatters the others out of the area. Hunting is an effect means of population control for other species such as deer but due to the nature of pigs, it doesn't work. There is a ton of literature out there to support this. So, my sugestion is to do a little research about controlling pigs before you jump on the hunting band wagon. I might also point out that the legislation that passed last year was based on this research and I, as a biologist, personally attended the state office in support of it because it is scientifically sound legistlation. Yes, it is true that politics play a big role in management decisions, more so than most of us would like but I promise you that the state and all the agencies involved in this control effort are doing the right thing. The only way to effectively eradicate a population of feral pigs is to use multiple techniques (cage traps, snares, shooting and most importantly aerial hunting). Most importantly, all involved parties, landowners, state and federal agencies and area hunters need to work together.

Lastly, I will make one comment about a bounty program since someone commented about that. Again, do a little research, bounty programs always fail, look at how well the bounty program worked for coyotes? I don't want to ramble on here but would be happy to explain our control program in detail to anyone that is interested or has concerns. I can be reached at chad.d.richardson@aphis.usda.gov

chad_richardson 7 years, 8 months ago

Bob,

We know the problem is getting worse and there are plans to increase the efforts. The difference between a helicopter and a hunter is that I can remove an entire group of pigs at one time. By that I mean when we see a group of six pigs, there is about a 99.9% chance that I will be able to get all six, then look for the next group. In most cases, even if you have multilple hunters stalking that same group of six, you're likely to get one or none killed and you educated five other pigs that will likely take up residence somewhere else and breed. I am not calling anyone bad hunters, I have personally been on the ground and know the results too. The drawback to the helicopter is that I have to have access to find the pigs first, I have to have permission on every peice of ground that we fly over. If hunters scatter them to other areas then I have to keep expanding the area that I have to look for them in (hence, more air time and more money), not to mention all the time I spend on the ground knocking on doors asking for additional permission to fly on new ground. Yes, the helicopter is expensive but it is extremely effective. That's why I stress that I need the cooperation of everyone for this to be a successful program.

Chad

oldgoof 7 years, 8 months ago

Solution- napalm. oldgoof: "I love the smell of bacon in the morning"

DonnieDarko 7 years, 8 months ago

I once saw a wild pig pick up a brick and smack a poodle in the face with it.

oldgoof 7 years, 8 months ago

chad: thanks for the info.
.. But didn't coyote bounty work well in western ks in the early 1900's? Or am I mixing that up with jackrabbit roundups?

stopthenoise 7 years, 8 months ago

Chad- Good explanantion. I told them you were a wildlife biologist. Ok, my bounty idea wasn't a good one. I was just hoping to find some fun part time work! Keep up the good work and shoot straight.

don_burgess 7 years, 8 months ago

CHAD -

I think the same procedure for irraticating the wild hogs should be employed for the out-of-town KU sporting event attendees.

Is there any information as to WHY these animals are so threatening? Why am I spending my tax dollars on this tactic? Are pigs like killer bees or grizzly bears? Are they dangerous to crops or to livestock or to man?

From the chopper do you use one of thoes huge, mounted 50 caliber machine guns and just blow them apart with like 10, 000 rounds over and over again in a shower of blood? GACK, GACK, GACK, GACK, GACK, GACK, GACK, !!!!! ! YAAAA!!!! YOU LIKE THAT, PIGGYS?!?!?! ! GACK, GACK, GACK, GACK !!!!!

PS - arent you the first guy the government calls if there is a zombie outbreak?

Thanks!

Christine Anderson 7 years, 8 months ago

When I saw the title of the article, I laughed my head off-thought it referred to illegal aliens! (ha,ha,ha)

gr 7 years, 8 months ago

Wilbur: "The point, gr, was that dometic swine breeds revert to a wild state very quickly. Perhaps the term "feral" would have been more precise."

Chad,

Maybe you can help. Wild pigs, feral pigs, whatever. The question being, how do you tell the difference? If they so "quickly" "revert", wouldn't this be something the evolutionists would jump all over? I've never heard pigs made such use of in this forums. So, back to the question - how does one recognize the difference? Why does living in the "wild" make them "revert" to whatever form this is? Or, is this more of a behavior than a physical characteristic?

budwhysir 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe these piggys just want to be left alone.

budwhysir 7 years, 8 months ago

If we look at the facts these pigs are actualy very smart creatures. They have reverted back and they stay hidden when they are hunted

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

wow, thanks for the edumication Chad! thanks for taking the time to come on here to explain all those points. you do have a very novel job.

stbaker 7 years, 8 months ago

gr:

Domestic hogs evolve very rapidly to a more dangerous, and aggressive boar/hog. In just one to two generations of being in the wild, they begin to grow more coarse hair, become larger in size, and may grow tusks. They are a good example of how much environment impacts the evolution of creatures, because it is such a rapid transition to their "wild" roots.

mulie 7 years, 8 months ago

You know I think Texas allows hunting of hogs and that is doing wonders for control on their feral hogs, right???!!! I think I will pull some more walleyes through the ice, wait for some snow geese then take a turkey in the Hills. Have fun down there and my advice is to let the state and contracted gunmen do their job. It will be better in the long run. But it is the human way to make things difficult. Good luck Kansanecians!

Kelly Powell 7 years, 8 months ago

Nobody wants to hunt boar with a spear? Wusses and milquetoasts the lot of you.

chad_richardson 7 years, 8 months ago

O.K., here we go, I will attempt to address these additional questions: (1) Someone asked " why are these animals a threat and why are my tax dollars paying for this effort" Well, there have been several posts that make good points and talk about some of the damage associated with these hogs and are valid, the main concern is the disease potential. Brucellosis could have serious impacts to our livestock industry here in Kansas.

(2) The difference between feral and domestic swine and how do domestic "revert" back to wild?

The rest of these answers address the comments from "Ridgerunner"

(1) Won't normal activity on the public land still scatter pigs to new areas.

Yes regular hunting activity for deer or turkey or whatever will have some impact on pigs but not that much if you are not shooting at them. They actually seem to know the difference.

(2) What will be the increased efforts and what about the failed control attempts in the Southeast U.S.

Trapping will be the biggest increase in effort and that's where I would love to work with guys like yourself that may know of where hogs are on private land. I can provide traps, bait, and assistance. As far as failed control attempts in other areas, you are correct. In most of those cases, aerial hunting was not used, they tried doing it with shooting and trapping.

Now a success story: You may have heard about a population of feral pigs on Fort Riley several years ago. I worked on that population. We trapped, snared, shot and aerial hunted. I worked on that population for 5 years and removed almost 400 pigs from 1995-2000. Over half of those pigs were removed with aerial hunting from the helicopter. There has not been a pig sighting since 2000. That popualtion could not have been eliminated without the use of the helicopter.

I would encourage interested hunters in the area to contact me and I would be happy to work with you on a trapping program, I can use all the help I can get, local knowledge is vital to success. You can play a part in this effort but we have to work together otherwise we are counter productive.

I hope this answers most of the questions, I couldn't get to them all because I ran out of room. Like I said before, if you want more information you can contact me directly. Thanks everyone for the interest and questions and hopefully in five years Mike Belt will be calling me to write another article titled "Are the Pigs Really Gone?"

Chad

chad.d.richardson@aphis.usda.govp>chad.d.richardson@aphis.usda.gov>

budwhysir 7 years, 8 months ago

Call me city folk, Im just curious as to my chances of seeing one of these little piggies running past me at 6th and main one of these days. Sounds like its possible for them to take over the whole town. Its been said that I think to the extreme but Im actualy contemplating what may need to be done to make sure this doesnt happen

Kelly Powell 7 years, 7 months ago

I'd hunt with spear if it was in teams of four....I would definitely wear armor....If i had the skill, horse back with javelins along with a thrusting spear would be cool.

mulie 7 years, 7 months ago

Forget about the public hunting. Maybe me and a few others that have actually killed hogs at Clinton could manage to take a few more, but if you saw the circus that occured at Clinton throughout the hunting season last year you would finally see why this is banned. The general skill level of the hunters there was low, their success rate was next to none and embarassing to anyone that was into the outdoors. I am sure this will offend people, but the hogs live on because the skirmish lines of orange and their cases of bush light; the guy in the red dodge truck that would scope you from the road with his rifle and then tell bull stories of 500 yards shots make it easy to see why some regulation was needed.
The only thing that could cause problems in removing hogs from Clinton is us. By us I mean the people that have to question beyone all reasonable doubt what a biologist for any agency is doing. Has anyone ever met a biologist that they feel is destroying the environment? Elected/appointed officials maybe, but a biologist!! Come on these guys and gals have been doing their job since they first casted their snoopy fishing pole into the water. Doctors go to school for many years, but they aren't studying what they do at age 5. These people have more on the job experience with no pay than anyone out there. The only question I really have is what happened to that good looking wildlife area manager that was at Clinton last year. I want him to father my child. Wow!!!!!

budwhysir 7 years, 7 months ago

ridgerunner:

Everything I post has a serious tone to it, politicaly speaking, I feel better knowing that they will actualy look for food by the rivers instead of coming to my local grocery store. Sounds like the farmers will be more effected than I will.

Is it possible that these animals could become curious of the city life and move inland, sounds like thats when I might have some trouble

chad_richardson 7 years, 7 months ago

RidgeRunner,

1) Fort Riley is not enclosed, it has some fences now after 9/11 but it didn't have any back then and even now, it is not even close to be considered an enclosure. The base is over 100,000 acres and there is some tall timber there as well. The biggest difference between the fort and Clinton is the number of small farms and broken ground. The reason we were successful at FR was because we had access to the 100,000 acres.

2) Tall timber, not the issue, cedars? More of an issue. There were a few issues as to why we didn't kill as many pigs last year as we hoped. The main one (of which I can't go into detail) was one landowner who refused to work with me and therefor I did not have access to some known pigs. The other reason was because I believe most pigs at that time last year were hidding out on private land due to heavy public land hunting and I simply did not have access to them either.

The public land there on the river is about 6000 acres, I signed up an additional 6000 acres of private land to fly as well and about half the pigs I killed came on private land. My hope is that with the closure of hunting public land that a good chunck of those pigs will be on public land this year and more accessable. I hope to get more private land signed up this year as well.

We do not "take" pigs in tall timber. IMO, aerial hunting can still be very effective in tall timber as long as there are some open fields nearby (which there are at Clinton) to "take" the pigs to and this can be done pretty easily. Pigs can be located in tall timber, than "herded" to an area that they can easily be shot. Cedars are a challenge because you can't locate pigs as easily and it requires slower flying but you can locate and kill pigs in cedars too. Aerial hunting at clinton is effective if I have access and cooperation.

One thing about baiting and trapping. You say you think that it will be best WITH public hunting. I am sorry but the two do not work together, read the MO paper that you posted about public hunting, it has been documented there and everywhere else, public hunting is the quickest way to fowl up a trapping effort and it will never work to eradicate a popualation of feral pigs.

The pigs that we take this year will again not be given away for food, they will be landfilled. There are a lot of issues there with liability, it's a bad deal I know but that's just the way it is. Lastly, for you own information, our counterparts in MO are now wanting to work with us in KS to attempt more aerial hunting in MO. In my opinion, I don't think MO has given aerial hunting much of a try and that's why he didn't talk that much about it being effective in MO, but we will see them doing some aerial hunting this year also.

Again, I am sorry that you are upset about not being able to hunt pigs at Clinton but you must understand that not "everything" in wildlife management can be "made" into a recreational activity.

Chad

gr 7 years, 7 months ago

"A European or "Russian" wild boar is the same animal as a domestic pig. Most of the wild traits are dominate and when a domestic pig has the opportunity to live and breed in a "non domestic" enviroment, those dominate traits show back up rather quickly. The state does however have an "offical" definition of a feral swine in House Bill #2899 (to long put in here)"

Chad,

From looking at the bill, it sounds like you can either readily recognize these pigs (ugly, I guess), and/or it means pigs without tags (that'd be easy to determine - excepting you get close enough to see there's no tag and it's too close!).

But, seriously, I'm still having a hard time understanding this. How do they "revert", what causes it? I've seen domestic pigs near trees (in the "wild"?), and they looked like normal pigs, and they later had young which looked much like the adults. I just don't understand how or what "wild" does to their genetics to make them get ugly so fast. (What is fast - one generation, two?)

If you take feral hogs and put them next to barns, do they revert back to domestic pigs? Sorry for the silly questions, but I do want to understand this as there must be more going on. This seems highly unusual for any organisms I know about.

chad_richardson 7 years, 7 months ago

GR,

I hate to bail out of this because your questions are valid, it is a very interesting thing, this reverting? I am not a geneticist but, as a biologist I know that something pretty special is taking place for an animal to change or revert back to those wild characteristics that quickly and that is not the norm, so I understand you questioning it.

From what I have read, it's more like 3-5 generations to "revert" which is still fast. If this really interests you to the point to make a phone call, I will give you Dr. Phil Gipson's phone number at K-State. (785) 532-6070. This issue or question is an absolute passion of his and he would probably be happy to share his knowledge on the subject.

They pay guys like that to figure those things out and they pay guys like me to get rid of them!

Chad

gr 7 years, 7 months ago

Fair enough. I just was hoping you understood that part. I guess that's why each person has their own area of knowledge. 3-5 generations is pretty amazing. This requires further investigation. Thanks for your effort in helping converse with us here.

Sundance 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope the wildlife department exterminates all of them. I bowhunt south of Clinton Lake and have watched them for several years beneath my deer stand. They tear up the land, carry unwanted diseases that can spread to domestic livestock, and screw up deer hunting in many ways. They run the deer off. You would think 50 humans came running out of the woods waving their arms and yelling at the top of their lungs. Deer bolt as soon as they see them. The herd has grown tremendously in the last few years. I should have killed all of them about 5 years ago. The first year I thought it was kind of unique for this area so I only killed a few and then left the rest for seed. I was hoping they would reproduce so us sportsmen would have another game animal to hunt. Wow, they sure did multiply and I soon found out how wrong I was and wished I would have killed all of them when I had the chance.

I agree that there should be NO HUNTING OF HOGS. If there is a season on them then more people will turn them loose. The person who originally turned them loose around Clinton Lake lives in the Pomona area. He likes to hog hunt and is trying to get them started in this area. They were not turned loose because the market went south on hogs. This will cost the farmer, hunter, and taxpayer if they are not controlled.

Those that are interested in the reverting back to wild hogs, genetics, and the physical changes. There was a special on TV. I believe it was either National Geographic or the Science Channel. The program name is "Hogzilla". They talk about this subject in detail. Google it!

mulie 7 years, 7 months ago

RidgeRunner,

Did the landowner claim to own all this ground around? I talked to a guy that sounds a lot like the person you talked to. He said he owned the land the hogs were on, but he wouldn't let anyone in there. I was actually wanting to bow hunt deer. I finally got the landowner map out and made a few calls. The screwball didn't own any of it or rent any of it. In fact the lady I talked to was shocked and upset that this person was claiming her land. I talked to other landowners and this guy tresspasses everywhere. However, he would be the first to turn you in for looking at his ground. He was definitely colorful. He had a hard time keeping his stories straight. I heard later that he baited them in his pasture with his cattle. Sounded a little deliverance like to me. Squeal piggy!! I named him "Stands Behind Heavy Hog"

Not sure he would be a credible source. I didn't talk to many, but 9 out of 10 landowners wanted them gone. The only one that didn't care was "Stands Behind Heavy Hog." I always suspected him as the releaser. Especially after all the press about diseases that could be passed to livestock and here he is feeding them with his cattle. I talked to another bigger cattle operation and they weren't happy. I am still against the hunting of them, but you put some good questions out there. Keep it up!

TedH71 5 years ago

Hunting hogs with dogs is legal in KS as far as I know. I spoke with Mr. Teagarden about it. He said as far as the landowner is concerned, getting the hogs rid of in any method is acceptable but have to get that free permit. Keep in mind, I'm from Texas where there is over 2 million feral hogs. There is a difference between a recently escaped feral hog or recently reverted feral hog and a Russian hog with imported Russian hog blood that escaped from various game ranches in the South. Those with high degree of Russian hog blood are far more aggressive than the ones with no Russian hog blood. You will figure that out fast from experience. I was getting into feral hog hunting in Texas when I relocated to Kansas only to find out the state had a different perspective towards hogs. With that being said, Texas ranchers have learned to roll with the punches. Those in rural areas have learned to lease hog hunts and it has actually benefited those people and saved their lands due to money from paid hunters going into property tax money therefore they keep their lands and are able to be ranchers/farmers. Dogs are more efficient in finding hogs than people are. Trapping simply gets the young and the stupid ones. The ones that see other hogs trapped in a trap will not go near a trap therefore dogs are better used in this capacity. The strike dogs search and find the hogs then hold them at bay while you come up with a catch dog whose sole job is to run up to a hog and grab a hold of it and hangs on til you choose what to dispatch the hog with:knife or live. Often those hunting dogs are high energy and not good for your typical house owner. Those breeds are used for hog hunting: catahoula, plott hound, blue lacy, blackmouth curs, and mountain curs. Catch dogs: pit bulls, american bulldogs, or argentine dogos. Pits are the most common because they are cheap and easy to get and mature earlier than the two other catch dog breeds. Negative thing is you do have to weed out the dog aggressive ones. Using hounds is ok but with their open track baying (barking), you often have a long race. Hounds are good for extremely large tracts of land and they have cold noses meaning they can track old tracks. Cur type dogs are hot nosed meaning they prefer fresh tracks and they are silent on track until they get to the hog and open up and that tells the owner that they have a hog at bay. Silent on track means the dog will have a much higher chance of getting into contact with a wild critter. With that being said, I would love to help land owners with their hog problems legally. I have trained dogs. Please contact me at: TedH71@yahoo.com. No offense, but helicopter hunting is a waste of taxpayer's money at present time. We tried that in Texas and there were simply too many hogs to take out plus what's more bounty hunting ACTUALLY worked but we ran out of $. That showed that we had too many hogs out there.