Archive for Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Lottery facts

January 24, 2007

To the editor:

I have worked part-time at a local convenience store that sells Kansas Lottery. In the literature that the state puts outs in regard to the "Kansas Hot Lotto," nowhere does it mention that it is associated with other jurisdictions.

For this reason, I would like to inform the public of what I have recently found out and thought other consumers would like to know. I have recently learned from a Kansas Lottery liaison that there are actually 10 lottery jurisdictions that sell Hot Lotto. They are: the District of Columbia, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia and New Mexico.

Kansas joined Hot Lotto in March of 2006. The game was introduced in April of 2002.

Patricia Penix,

Lawrence

Comments

KS 8 years, 5 months ago

I might start sleeping better knowing this! Thanks.

Kathy Gates 8 years, 5 months ago

My statistics class was a long time ago, but what difference does it make whether people from 10 states or one state play a lotto game? The odds of hitting the selected numbers should stay the same, right? Whether you hit the numbers or not shouldn't have anything to do with how many other people are playing.

purplesage 8 years, 5 months ago

Don't dismiss this. I am not surprised that the lottery has omitted information that the player's pool is greater than what those who choose to gamble might expect. The whole thing is a deception, an appeal to greed, a last hope of folks whose financial situation is desperate.

I know people "win" but they "win" at the expense of others who gamble along with them. It is a deceptive "business" so I am not surprised at deceptive tactics.

Some will say it is personal choice and that they can "afford" it. That doesn't change the reality that some people become problem gamblers and the impact on families is not different than drug use or alcohol dependency.

conservative 8 years, 5 months ago

The odds are the same no matter how many play as has been pointed out.

However most people who play the lottery don't take the time to figure the odds. They do know however that a lottery set up for a single state usually has better odds built into the program (at a lower payout). Therefore many who played this particular lottery probably believed they had better odds than they in fact did.

Still it is on the buyer to be aware of what they are purchasing.

Jamesaust 8 years, 5 months ago

"their chances of winning"

How would any of this extraneous information change "their chances"? The determinant - other than luck - is the maximum quantity of number combinations, not the number of people buying tickets.

In other words, you could stand in line to buy a ticket and have the person in front of you plunk down $100,000 for tickets. Your ticket, however, has the exact same odds of winning (or losing) - even if NO ONE else bought a ticket.

Kathy Gates 8 years, 5 months ago

Why would a lottery set up for a single state have better odds than a multi-state lottery? The maximum number of possible number combinations doesn't change.

conservative 8 years, 5 months ago

Because a lottery set up for a single state will use fewer combinations of numbers. Otherwise it would be so long between times that somebody wins that people would stop playing.

Look at the odds on the Kansas Lotto, versus the Powerball lotto. I don't have time to look them up, but the Kansas Lotto has many fewer numbers to pick from and therefore the odds that any given ticket will win are greater.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 5 months ago

I usually buy five Powerball tickets when I gas up. But, since my car doesn't burn much fuel, and I don't go much of anywhere except work and errands, it's quite awhile between fills.

So I'm not breaking myself. Can I afford it? Sure. Do I think I'll ever win? Probably not. Of course, if I thought there was never any possibility, what would be the object in buying them at all?

It's kind of fun, really, and I don't go overboard.

Yes, there are people with gambling problems that will overdo it, purple. But there were people here with gambling problems long before we ever had the lottery.

Gamblers with an addiction would find another way even if we didn't have the lottery in KS. After all, there's always Harrah's or online poker.

BOE 8 years, 5 months ago

" Due to this reason, I have unknowingly informed the customers incorrectly regarding their chances of winning the "Kansas Hot Lotto" compared to the Powerball. "

===

Rest easy Patricia.

Unless you misstated the odds ( 1 in 10,939,383 for 5 correct numbers + the "hot ball"), you haven't misled anyone re: their chances at a winning ticket.

bisky1 8 years, 5 months ago

like a tobacco tax, lottery taxes are merely a tax on the poor and stupid, thanks for your cash.

budwhysir 8 years, 5 months ago

And the point is???????

oh yes if you play the lottery you might win, if you dont win than you lost and your money is put into a pool. After that it doesnt realy matter does it?

budwhysir 8 years, 5 months ago

facts about the lottery:

You can win and you can loose it costs money to play if you play you cant complain if you dont play you cant complain

It is a good idea to have a voluntary tax every once and a while