Archive for Wednesday, January 24, 2007

French doctors perform partial face transplant

January 24, 2007

— Doctors have performed another face transplant. This time they gave a 29-year-old man a new nose, mouth and chin and sections of his cheeks.

The man was disfigured by a genetic disorder and is the third person to undergo a partial face transplant.

"The patient is doing well from a surgical point of view," said Dr. Laurent Lantieri. Still, he added, "We will have to wait many months for the results."

The patient suffered from neurofibromatosis, which causes tumors to grow on nerve tissue throughout the body, doctors said. The condition is similar to the disorder that affected Joseph Merrick, who was depicted as "The Elephant Man."

The patient had undergone about 30 or 40 surgeries in 10 years to try to improve the appearance of his face, Lantieri said. The tumors on his lips had grown so large that he could no longer eat properly or speak easily, Lantieri said.

Comments

Somatome 8 years, 3 months ago

THIS IS REDICULOUS! Real journalists don't PLAGIARIZE! This article is copied from the BBC article that can be found at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6290301.stm I thought reporters still had a little dignity and knowledge of what's illegal. (you shouldn't do illegal actions, because someone might see you doing it.)

Wilbur_Nether 8 years, 3 months ago

Uh, Somatome, the BBC article was posted to the AP, who picked it up and distributed it to their affiliates.

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

Hahaha. Someone needs to review the way newspapers work!

Didn't they make a movie out of this, though? It's only a matter of time before Nicholas Cage and John Travolta show up to duke it out.

Somatome 8 years, 3 months ago

They still should not use the exact words....

Somatome 8 years, 3 months ago

Wait, nevermind, I misread something. I don't know how, but I read someone's name (now I realize I was imagining it), and thought they had just copied it and took credit. But now I see that it reads "Associated Press", I dont know how I overlooked that one...

Linda Endicott 8 years, 3 months ago

Have you been drinking today, Somatome? Or perhaps taking some "soma"?

My main thought with this is what do they do if their bodies reject the transplant?

Somatome 8 years, 2 months ago

No, I don't drink. (sorry?)

Um, I guess they get a graft from another part of the body, like they did before. That reminds me, (no one will really care though) I had a cousin that had to get some serious grafting done all over because she played with a candle, and it's really difficult to look at her (sorry!). Yeah... I'm just ranting, you can stop hitting your head against the keyboard in frustration now.