Archive for Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Businesses to be rated on elder friendliness

January 24, 2007

Secret shoppers soon will show up at local businesses, checking to see how friendly they are to the elderly.

The Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging Inc. will use volunteers to shop local businesses as a part of its Elder Friendly business certification process, the agency announced last week.

The evaluators will review telephone etiquette, customer service and building layout, and access, the agency said. If a business is certified, it will receive a decal to place in its window showing customers it is elder-friendly.

The agency is looking for volunteers to serve as evaluators to "shop" local businesses.

The program, founded in Oregon by the Elders in Action of Portland, has been available for license in other communities since 1999.

Comments

Slav 8 years, 2 months ago

Wouldn't this secret shopper thing work out better if it was a surprise? Do local businesses not read the paper?

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 2 months ago

Are they going to do repeated visits before they declare a place "Elder friendly"? Otherwise, as far as customer service goes, you're only rating the one person that was working that day. The other employees could be way more friendly, or not.

Rating the access is a good idea, anyway.

Slav 8 years, 2 months ago

That's true. As a sign of good faith to our local businesses we should not make them handicap friendly.

Slav 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm an advocate of conspiracy theories. I think they strengthen our imagination and can serve as a watchdog. Therefore, I'm inclined to agree with your assertion, but I also see the inherent merit in laws protecting the accessibility of businesses to those with handicaps. Of course the renovations made wouldn't pay for themselves in sales to strictly handicapped people, but the show of good humanity would go a long way with regular consumers. I don't have any evidence for that, but it seems logical.

Slav 8 years, 2 months ago

If I had a business I would be willing to comply with the ADA, especially if there was legislature to that effect. I'm not going to give a business a loan to cover costs that are their own responsibility, but I will be more likely to shop at a place that has gone to lengths to make sure someone in a wheelchair can enjoy the same things that I'm able to.

You're welcome? Why do you keep saing thank you anyways? It's a public forum, not a court room.

Slav 8 years, 2 months ago

"I do my best to be polite, even to idiots."

I don't know what makes you think you're being polite just because you throw out random thank you's, but my comment towards your superfluous etiquette had nothing to do with the topic. Since you decided not to reply with anything but childish name calling, can I assume you agree that businesses should be responsible for being handicap-capable?

Beg your pardon.

Slav.

Slav 8 years, 2 months ago

And your link is an advertisemnt for a law firm. http://www.adalawsuits.com/howwecanhelp.html

Gasuntite.

Slav.

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 2 months ago

Maybe someone should read the ADA. http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/publicat.htm#Anchor-The-17304

State and local government agencies (I'm guessing selling lottery tickets falls under this) have different requirements than businesses which are supposedly going under all over the place.

Show me one business in this county that has gone under due to being sued over ADA issues. Anyone?

budwhysir 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey marion, thanks for being so nice to me, you know that plumberscrack thinks Im an idiot, politicaly speaking anyhow

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

for once, Marion is actually correct, and no less than Clint Eastwood agrees.

in my old hometown, a 50-year-old drivein is shutting down because a "trawler" went through looking for ADA violations. a "trawler" doesn't live there, has a disability, and runs around just looking to catch ADA violations. the entire town is up in arms. does this help people with disabilities? not really. no way the drivein can afford the fixes required for ADA compliance. very very sad.