Archive for Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Yard art turning heads - at least until weather warms

Frosty flakes great for art

January 23, 2007

Give Craig Cochran a few inches of snow to work with, and he will sculpt an attention-getter in the front yard of his North Lawrence home.

"I've been doing this since I was a kid, and I'm 36 now," Cochran said Monday. "It's sort of a tradition."

Until the weather warms and the snow melts, Cochran's latest snow creation - a punk rock musician - can be seen in the 300 block of Elm Street.

Cochran, a carpenter who sometimes works as a club disc jockey, said it took him three hours to create the head Sunday after 3 inches of snow fell on Lawrence. A niece and nephew helped with the project, he said.

"I used a spoon to sculpt it," Cochran said. "The eyes are briquettes - mesquite."

Cochran thought about painting the pointy hair green but decided "it wouldn't be environmentally friendly."

6News weather forecast for Tuesday, January 23

6News meteorologist Jennifer Schack brings us today's forecast as well as predictions for the rest of the week. Enlarge video

Cochran's snow sculptures have taken many forms in the past, he said. Dragons have been a favorite.

"You need a lot more snow for that," he said. "It doesn't snow around here like it used to."

Cochran's snow sculptures are a spinoff of his interest in art. He also paints and makes more traditional sculptures. He used to display his work at the now-closed Grimshaw Gallery in downtown Lawrence.

Now he displays his work on his lawn.

"A lot of people have come by and stopped to take pictures," he said.

6News weather

Comments

Katie Van Blaricum 10 years, 11 months ago

too bad they didn't get a pic of that snowman holding several cans of beer on 19th by Naismith. That was about the best snowman ever!!

Slav 10 years, 11 months ago

Wow, that's pretty f'ing amazing. I haven't seen an Indian sculpture that impressive since Bergen hung Ad Astra from the capitol dome.

salad 10 years, 11 months ago

I saw a couple that re-created some of the epic snowman series strips from Calvin & Hobbs: hillarious!

Sigmund 10 years, 11 months ago

Stunningly good photo's. Several made me giggle like a little girl!

Shawna Huffman 10 years, 10 months ago

Last night we watched a couple teenagers stop their van in front of our house, get out and kick our snowman over. After following them back to their apartment complex and a phone call to police, they were back in my yard putting it back together and apologizing to my 4 year old.

budwhysir 10 years, 10 months ago

I have a kink in my neck from turning around so fast. This must answer the question asked the other day about what people do on a snow day. Lets make art that will last for a few days then be gone. Imagine how much money you could make off that. I hope there isnt a building permit needed or an additional tax

lynnd 10 years, 10 months ago

shawna, that's awesome. good for you. i hope the teenagers learned a good lesson.

Sigmund 10 years, 10 months ago

Shawna, good on you! It's nice that the LPD took the time as well.