Archive for Monday, January 22, 2007

KU-Mizzou to be played at Arrowhead

A formal announcement is scheduled for 2 p.m.

January 22, 2007, 11:57 a.m. Updated January 22, 2007, 1:46 p.m.

— The Kansas-Missouri football game is coming to Kansas City.

Officials from both schools planned to announce Monday afternoon that they will play the next two games at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium, something that has been discussed for many years but resisted by merchants in the teams' hometowns of Columbia, Mo., and Lawrence, Kan.

Several people close to the situation told The Associated Press on Monday morning that each team will play a home game in the series in Arrowhead, starting with the 2007 season. The people asked not to be identified because the formal announcement was not scheduled until 2 p.m. Central.

Arrowhead, a 78-000-seat facility and home of the Kansas City Chiefs, has hosted many major college games. Kansas also moved its home game against Oklahoma to Arrowhead in 2005, and drew a crowd of 54,109.

A massive $400 million renovation is scheduled for the 33-year-old facility beginning this spring.

Often referred to as the "border war" because passions date to Civil War days when Missouri was a slave state and Kansas a free state, the rivalry began in 1891 and is the second-most played in Division I-A. It is the oldest NCAA Division I series west of the Mississippi River.

Restaurants, bars, motels and similar businesses in college towns depend a great deal on football weekends to increase their business. Ted Creasy, the manager at Harpo's, a popular restaurant-bar in Columbia, said he understood the schools would bring in a nonconference home game to make up the difference.

"If they would just take the game away, that would be awful," Creasy said.

The first game between the Jayhawks and Tigers was actually played in Kansas City, and fistfights broke out in the crowd. It happened just 26 years after the Civil War ended, and passions were still inflamed on both sides of a border that had been the scene of many bloody skirmishes.

Southern sympathizers would clash with "Jayhawkers," as Kansas' Union militia came to be known. The most well-known conflict occurred when William Quantrill's Raiders came riding out of Missouri on Aug. 21, 1863, and sacked and burned the city of Lawrence.

The two schools cannot even agree on their all-time record. According to the Jayhawks, they lead in the long series 54-52-9. But Missouri claims a 53-53-9 tie because Kansas was told by the NCAA to forfeit a 23-7 victory in 1960 for using ineligible players.

Comments

Jclarkson 8 years, 3 months ago

BAD IDEA!!!

the biggest game of the football season that we will play at Memorial Stadium and we move it?????

Bad idea.

Brent Cagle 8 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully only 20,000 people show up and they realize what a mistake they made. What a stupid, stupid idea...

newsreader 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow... It's funny how the opening article on ljworld.com talks about the tax base falling, and then the University moves a HUGE revenue base for the rest of the city to Kansas City. Nice going.

Scott Tichenor 8 years, 3 months ago

Score:

University of Kan$a$ Athletic department - 2

Lawrence restaurants, gas stations, motels, bars, liquor stores, grocery stores, bakeries, sport shops, general retailers - 0

On the bright side, an easy parking spot next to the Spencer Museum of Museum of Natural History will be easy for those looking for something to do with the kids.

countrygirl 8 years, 3 months ago

And if they sell out Arrowhead, will this be an annual event?

bmwjhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I hate this. I hated the Oklahoma game at Arrowhead and I hate the Missouri game at Arrowhead. Lawrence is a great place to hold big games. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

JumporFall 8 years, 3 months ago

Plus all the extra money that can be made from letting people park on one's yard.

rhd99 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow! How much dope did KU & MU athletics directors inhale while developing this uneconomical & brainless idea? HELLO, anyone home, LEW?! Lawrence's economy suffers ENOUGH! Got it? GOOD!

scragles24 8 years, 3 months ago

way to send the city of Lawrence's money elsewhere idiots!

Tony Kisner 8 years, 3 months ago

Athletic Directors are nothing more than highly paid pimps.

The Student body should make a resolution that no student may play in any Big 12 conference game that is not to be played at an on-campus venue. - Hold it - that would mean that the football players need to be students.

Better yet, do away with the entire athletic department; it is purpose is no longer a diversion for the student body from studies. Rather than putting up with all of the title IX issues, grade issues, Taco Bell fight issues, a professional team could be designated as the KU representative for athletic achievement. For instance rather than rooting for the KU football team we could just root for the Chicago Bears. The Bears don't play home games at Memorial Stadium, just like the Jayhawks, what would be the difference? Dollar wise I think the U would be better off. They could demolish Memorial Stadium and the guy who wants to tear down Hawks Crossing could build condos in the spot. With all the trees and park like setting I'd think Memorial Stadium would bring in a huge one time financial windfall. I'd even give Lew a 10% finder's fee.

They are STUDENT Athletes, not prostitutes. Let them go to class, practice, and play on Saturdays where the kids that attend the same classes with them can come and watch the game

RonBurgandy 8 years, 3 months ago

Ridiculous.

First off, take away any home field advantage against our biggest rival. Secondly, take away all Lawrence community revenue that could have been generated. Third, piss off all KU fans out there that enjoy watching KU at HOME!

oldvet 8 years, 3 months ago

Well, my OU @ Arrowhead tickets sold for a premium on ebay and my MU @ Arrowhead will also be offered there next season... I can't believe that this venue will generate more revenue for KU than a sold-out Memorial Stadium game.

kujayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Lew! Lew! Lew! Lew! Lew!

It's not about what's best for KU and the kids, it's what is best for Lew so he can justify our athletic department's staff and salaries.

Lew sucks.

rhd99 8 years, 3 months ago

You know something, folks, that ticket policy that Lew Perkins adopted for football & basketball when he was hired, that policy thanks to this decision of him & the MU athletic director has been thrown out the window as far as I am concerned. The time to protest Lew Perkins & his policies is now.

CindiCat 8 years, 3 months ago

Totally stupid idea.

Arrowhead Officials have to find someway to make some $$ why not take it away from the students and fans of KU & MU????

What a bunch of schmucks.

rhd99 8 years, 3 months ago

SCREW ARROWHEAD! Carl Peterson & his band of bone-heads in that executive office of the Chiefs have already ciphened so much money & yet they DO NOT PRODUCE! They raised ticket prices by at least 400% since Peterson has been in position! Time to call for Lew Perkins' ouster NOW!

skinny 8 years, 3 months ago

Heck, I think it is GREAT! There is more things to do in Kansas City and it'll bring in more money for the University (Big Time!!) It's all about the money.

So all you guys can just stop crying right now!!

If you don't like it, don't go!

rhd99 8 years, 3 months ago

Skinny, Arrowhead executives get lots of money too for renting to the two teams? Hello! It doesn't all go to the universities.

rollcar 8 years, 3 months ago

Didn't season ticket-holders (specifically those with the Family Pack) end up getting screwed by the KU-Oklahoma game that was moved to Arrowhead? If memory serves, my four tickets magically became two for that game. Will this work the same way?

rhd99 8 years, 3 months ago

Wouldn't surprise me, rollcar. SCREW LEW!

chapdaddy 8 years, 3 months ago

Yes, rollcar, you are correct. 4 tickets become 2.

Which, by the way, I now have 2 for sale. I'm not going to Arrowhead. Pathetic.

Way to ruin yet another KU tradition, Lew. GameDay on the Hill.

rollcar 8 years, 3 months ago

So now I get to drive an hour, pay +/- $20 to park my car, and buy two additional tickets that used to be included with my season tickets.

I missed the part where this is beneficial to me, the average fan.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

BAD LEW, BAD!! [Swinging open hand as if disciplining a dumb dog]

Phillbert 8 years, 3 months ago

Why don't we just move all of the games to Missouri and then they can pay for the maintenance of Memorial Stadium?

What a joke. I didn't go to the OU game at Arrowhead and I'm not going to this one. Anyone know the number for ACE Sports? I'll have some tickets to sell.

BigDog 8 years, 3 months ago

yeah great idea. ..... the oklahoma game there didn't suck bad enough..... lets do another one ...... on the positive side they sell beer during the game

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

So this game will be part of our season ticket package? We did NOT like HAVING to go to Arrowhead last year to watch OU in order to use our season tickets. And they split up our party of three - I had to sit on the OU side while my other two sat on the KU side. I did move once the game started BUTT good grief..

I do not like this at all.

Unix_Admin 8 years, 3 months ago

This really sucks! Lew, you also really suck! Thanks for nothin'.

cowboy 8 years, 3 months ago

Big pimpin moneys talks...

1 . Carl Peterson should focus on developing a competitive NFL team first 2. The student and family tickets will be effectively gone 3. The KU MU game scheduled into thanksgiving break 4. The MU folks supposedly arent getting this on the season tick package 5. The city loses 6. home environment gone

This sucks and the dumb a$$s running the athletic department deserve to be called on the carpet. Why line petersons pockets at the expense of Lawrence.

You suck Perkins

Matt Woodard 8 years, 3 months ago

Absurd. Well, unless both of the teams have winning records and are battling for the B12 north title, this will be just another televised flop that gets the lowest ratings of the day. This is a guaranteed sell-out in our house (where it was to be this year). If KU heads in with a losing record do you think many fans will go there to watch?

Thanks for robbing the fans of watching their team play in their home stadium against the hated tiggers Lew and Co. Do you really think the students - who make up most of the noise in the stadium - will be travelling to KC in the same numbers as would walk down the hill to Memorial? The Univ. better have free party buses for the students set up if they want that to happen.

Hope the extra $$ you pocket can buy some more "fresh" ideas. KC will not be more fun than the party would be at the Memorial Stadium and downtown after we beat them. These types of moves are reserved for teams like Oklahoma/Texas (who sell their home stadiums out). I can't imagine watching Michigan and Ohio State move their game to Detroit or Cleveland. This just robs the rivalry of that college gameday mystique. Perhaps they are just hoping a brawl breaks out in the stands and thus boosts the ratings.

sportfan 8 years, 3 months ago

Everyone needs to calm down!! This is the type of exposure KU needs. If Texas vs. OU can be played in Dallas, what's wrong with this?? Do you think Texas, or OU, would give up a home game if it was not a financial windfall? It may not be good for most of the students. However, the alumni will be happy. I understand local merchants will lose revenue. In order to be a major player, you have to play in major venues. Memorial has come a long way. However, it is not Arrowhead!! Instead of scheduling NW Mime University, KU needs to step up and invite a big time football school!! That would help some of the local merchants. Don't blame Lew. It's about REVENUE!!!

CindiCat 8 years, 3 months ago

"skinny" why don't you eat a sandwich.....you must be "light headed".

It sounds like you will have your choice of seats at Arrowhead since the majority of the posts will not be attending the game.

BigDog 8 years, 3 months ago

sportfan ..... the difference is both Oklahoma and Texas have a history of being top-tier teams. Moving Kansas-Missouri game will not put them anywhere near the same level as the other two ....ever.

Hawkman 8 years, 3 months ago

It would be interesting to know how much tax revenue moving a home football game "costs" the taxpayers of Lawrence.....but hey, Lew's "Kansas City boys" greatly appreciate it I am sure!

fletch 8 years, 3 months ago

If I could curse on this message board without it being deleted, I would share my true thoughts on this. In the mean time, I'll try to tone it down to this:

F KU Athletics. F MU Athletics. Stop destroying this series to make some money in the short term.

Patti Hadl 8 years, 3 months ago

C'mon Folks. If "Louigi" doesn't make deals like this, how else is he going to get his $10 MILLION dollar bonus at the end of his contract. He has no loyalty to KU, this is a job and he's doing the best he can! We can only hope that all the damage he does to the University can be undone when KU officials realize the mistakes he's made. Unfortunately, KU is not in the "business" of educating students - formally a long held tradition in the State of Kansas. KU is in the business of making money to line the pockets of ONE, no matter what the cost, no matter how much money is thrown away! What's a measly $10 million dollars anyway. Heck let's buyout Lew's contract and then get him the hell outta here!

mechman 8 years, 3 months ago

maybe KU can get green to be qb ...........he sure as h*ll aint a pro qb.......also maybe the3 amigos from 6e6th st. has something to do with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peetro1981 8 years, 3 months ago

None of you understand anything about college athletics.

One of the best games in America is UT-OU in Dallas - same logic - both athletic departments win. KU has 60,000 alumni in Johnson County vs. the 40,000 in Lawrence.

I swear, our fans are some of the whiniest in the country. In addition, this is a great recruiting tool - playing in an NFL stadium can be very attractive to recruits.

If you don't like doing business to compete and try to win both in the big 12 and the nation...move to Waco, Tx and cheer for Baylor because without Perkins we wouldn't have the Adidas deal, Hall of Athletics, soon to be football facility, etc. etc....and we'd be bankrupt!!

rollcar 8 years, 3 months ago

No argument here Peetro; this is good for the University, the players and the Chiefs. Everybody is a winner here but the ticket-holders. And what do they matter?

Ooh! - And as long as we're making college sports more convenient for Johnson County fans, perhaps we can start moving the b-ball games to the new Sprint Arena? Allen Fieldhouse is such a darn long drive.

ModerateOne 8 years, 3 months ago

T_O_B said: Once upon a time I read KU makes roughly $1 million for each home sellout. It sounds like this whole "Financial Windfall!" will be negligable. Especially when you factor in all the lost revenue in town.

Err, no. That's $1 million PER TEAM per year. So we break even on home game years and get a $1 million windfall on away game years. If Lawrence wants more football game windfalls then maybe it should be more business friendly.

skinny 8 years, 3 months ago

Peetro1982, you hit the nail on the head on this one. You tell all the whining crybabies which I would guess most are our downtown merchants that they have nobody but themselves to thank for this. Like all the big business's they have run off, KU is going to where the money is. Kansas City!!

Like I said, it is all about the money. Besides, instead of six home games next football season they will be seven. So what's the big deal about having the eighth one in Kansas City. The University can get more publicity while making more money at the same time. Not only that, more people can attend the game! Come on, lets us a little bit of common sense here guys!! Why do you think we are paying Lew the big bucks?

Peetro1981 8 years, 3 months ago

rollcar: If I'm not mistaken we play a game at Kemper once a year in basketball??

There would be nothing better than seeing 40,000 KU fans and 40,000 MU fans in Arrowhead....could be just the thing to kick the rivalry up another notch.

Have an open mind people! Lawrence Merchants will be just fine without the 8th home game.

Last point: The KU/MU game is usually a sellout. With 30k more seats, many more fans will have the opportunity to attend. Don't forget, JC is also Jayhawk country.

budwhysir 8 years, 3 months ago

I wouldnt pay extra to watch this game if I was a member of the 6 million dollar corp. retreat.

Why dont the regents just strike a deal with Arrowhead to get the money they need.

FED UP, TIRED OF IT, DONT CARE ANYMORE

Peetro1981 8 years, 3 months ago

Obviously you care budwhysir or you wouldn't be posting. If you don't care quit posting and don't go to the games.

budwhysir 8 years, 3 months ago

peetro: Nope dont realy care so long as the big Universities dont complain about needing more of my tax money

StirrrThePot 8 years, 3 months ago

Mediocre football is already played in Arrowhead anyway, now they're just being consistent.

I wouldn't go watch a KU-MU game on the mizzou side of the border before, why would I do so now?

I think I will instead spend that day in a Lawrence-owned bar watching the game on HDTV and pouring money into booze and unhealthy food. Woo hoo! Or maybe I'll just suck down Free State beer and watch it on my own HDTV.

budwhysir 8 years, 3 months ago

I suppose being televised on hdtv makes this game worth about another 50 bucks.

I dont think we should be cutting into NFL practice time like this. HMMM I wonder what a Chiefs game would look like at memorial stadium????

Peetro1981 8 years, 3 months ago

You guys really are pathetic! At least I've had my entertainment today!

We have such a whiney fan base.

TOUGHEN UP folks....if Lew worried about your little whiny issues and took your advice he'd be out of a job.

Face..we have one of the best AD's in the country. You folks are just mad because you lost your bball seats and don't like change. Get used to it...it is the nature of college athletics - like it or not.

KS 8 years, 3 months ago

Are you getting the message, Lew? You are not too popular around here!

Sunflower_Jen 8 years, 3 months ago

You have all been so focused on the negative you missed two of the best parts of this:

As someone who would never go to Columbia to see the KU-MU game, now I get to go every year. I realize the game is in Missouri, but at least it's not in Columbia.

Best of all, the Missouri team and fans have to drive two hours to get to the game every year! They have to drive two hours to get to a home game!

It warms my heart knowing I can go every year and the MU fans have to drive two hours to a home game. I literally have a smile on my face.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 8 years, 3 months ago

This is is so funny that it is tragic. I am a huge OU fan, never missed a KU-OU game in Lawrence until last year. But I will be damned if I will drive 50 miles, pay God knows what for tickets and to park so the jerks in the KU atheletic department can count their pesos. One other thing, the OU-Texas game is at the same time as the Texas State Fair, and a lot of us Okies like to go there, too. It is a huge rivalry that has been there long before the conference jack-asses fouled up the conference by adding the left-overs from the Southwest Conference. College sports used to be a home game day event, but as mentioned a thousand times here, Lew Perkins has screwed the city, the fans, the students for the love of money. It is noteworthy that the advertisements mention that "we are college student athletes, and most of us will go pro in something other than football. What is a college education for, anyway, to make the NFL rich?????????? I echo the sentiment, screw you lew.

toefungus 8 years, 3 months ago

Missouri WON the border war. The revenues will be made in Missouri, in a Missouri Stadium, selling Missouri parking, and filling up up Kansans on Missouri food and drink.

Perkins is a pimp. But don't blame him. Blame college athletics, the nastiest game in town. Soon, KU Basketball home games will be played in Sprint Arena. You know, we just as well move the entire University into Missouri to join the Athletics Department and the KU Medical Center.

wuchiwu 8 years, 3 months ago

Peetro1981 you might be a whiney fan too if moving a game such as this cost you $30,000+

doubledogleg 8 years, 3 months ago

i live in kc area and am more likely to attend a KU game in Lawrence than at Arrowhead. If I wanted to see a football game in KC,MO I can go on Sundays.

budwhysir 8 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like alot of revenue will be leaving the KU stadium. Seems like they are wanting a bunch of money for renovations and the lawmakers have told them to not count on money for sports.

So the question is this, can this game fill Arrowhead stadium?

And also, how can you have a border war if you only play the game in one state????????

Tychoman 8 years, 3 months ago

I still can't get over how we're having a HOME game in MISSOURI. There's something fundamentally wrong with that.

cowboy 8 years, 3 months ago

FOR SALE

University of Kansas Athletic events , to the highest bidder 1,000,000 OBO

budwhysir 8 years, 3 months ago

Tychoman, It will be more of a home away from home game, or maybe you could look at it as a sleep over. Although, it cant be a border war but maybe a this stadium is better than your stadium war.

Jackson 8 years, 3 months ago

Tear up your tickets. Stay home & shop.
Don't watch TV. You'll feel better. Also, you'll save (lots of) money.