Archive for Saturday, January 20, 2007

Brownback starts ‘yellow brick road’ presidential campaign

The two-term senator said he will fight to renew America’s cultural values and pledged to focus on rebuilding families.

January 20, 2007

— Sen. Sam Brownback began a long-shot bid for president on Saturday, hoping his reputation as a favorite son of the religious right can help him outdistance better known Republican rivals. "I am a conservative and I'm proud of being a conservative," he proclaimed.

"My family and I are taking the first steps on the yellow brick road to the White House. It's a great journey," Brownback said, returning to his home state to declare his intention to seek his party's nomination in 2008. The "yellow brick road" was the fictional Dorothy's path back home to Kansas in "The Wizard of Oz" film.

The two-term senator said he will fight to renew America's cultural values and pledged to focus on rebuilding families.

"Search the record of history. To walk away from the Almighty is to embrace decline for a nation," Brownback said. "To embrace Him leads to renewal, for individuals and for nations."

Brownback laced his speech with the themes that have made him a leader of the Republican Party's conservative wing and a strong spokesman in Congress for socially conservative Christians.

A fierce foe of abortion, he planned to return to Washington to participate in an anti-abortion rally Monday marking the 34th anniversary of the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision that established a nationwide right to the procedure. Brownback also opposes embryonic stem-cell research and gay marriage.

After his speech, he told reporters: "My positions are at the heart of where the Republican Party is. I'm willing to take those positions with all comers."

Brownback's announcement came hours after Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York entered her party's 2008 race. Brownback noted the gulf in their views.

"Let's have a debate," he said. "I don't think the country has moved from the center-right." Noting the time of her announcement, Brownback said, "I don't know why she did that. I guess she's scared of me."

The Democratic National Committee issued a statement calling Brownback "a stubborn ideologue who places his own political agenda over the needs of the American people."

In his announcement, Brownback said the country needs to support the traditional definition of marriage as a union of one man and one woman and said most Americans "feel deeply in their hearts" for "a culture of life."

"Let's start following our hearts and work to protect all innocent human life at all stages," he said. "It's all beautiful. It is all sacred."

He pledged never to sign a tax increase if elected president and proposed scrapping the current income tax law, saying it "should be taken behind the barn and killed with a dull ax."

Brownback faces a crowded field of potential Republican hopefuls that includes Arizona Sen. John McCain, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani _ all with the fundraising skills and experienced campaign staff for the long haul.

Brownback, 50, offers himself as a "full-scale Ronald Reagan conservative."

In recent weeks, conservatives have expressed reservations about McCain and Romney, wondering whether their past statements on rights for homosexuals reflect a more moderate view. Giuliani has been a longtime supporter of abortion rights, gay rights and gun control.

While he is on solid footing on social issues, Brownback has broken with some Republicans on the Iraq war and immigration.

He opposes President George W. Bush's plan to send more troops to Iraq, saying, "Iraq requires a political rather than a military solution." Brownback also favors an eventual path to citizenship for some of the nation's 11 million illegal immigrants.

In his speech, Brownback called for a bipartisan strategy for the war, making the United States energy efficient and reducing carbon dioxide emissions. But he received the loudest cheers when he discussed social issues.

"He has a track record. He's consistent in his beliefs," said Brenda Travis, a pastor at a Topeka church. "You know exactly what you get."

Brownback was one of the first Republicans to announce an exploratory committee in early December. His candidacy remains a long shot in what has become a crowded Republican field of almost 10 potential candidates.

Brownback was raised on a farm near tiny Parker, Kansas _ population 281 today _ where his parents still live.

He was elected to the House in 1994, part of the Republican revolution that gave the party control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 40 years.

Two years later, Brownback was elected to the Senate, winning the seat Bob Dole vacated to run for the presidency. Brownback, who promised to serve no more than two full terms, has said he will not seek re-election in 2010.

Comments

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 11 months ago

Save your money.

You don't stand a chance.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

The yellow brick road, what a political reference. I cant believe how the movies play such a part in this type of campaign. Lets read some real articles about the weather or something. Maybe they could dig something up about cashiers with no math skills that are employed here in Lawrence. Or howabout articles on the eagles that have come to visit.

Or another growing trend is allowing editorials on the morals and religon beliefs of those who read this publication

truthhurts 7 years, 11 months ago

Here's hoping Rep. Ron Paul gets to share the stage with the Republican freak show. Mr. Paul has actually read, understands and votes based on constitutional principles. What a concept

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

"Brownback's causes have included restoring a "family hour" to television, an amendment to the Constitution banning same-sex marriage and legislation to prohibit human cloning and embryonic stem-cell research."

Well good. Good to know you pick causes that don't do a damned thing for anybody. Except maybe hurt them.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

Moraly speaking, I hope we can do something about the math problems at the grocery stores. With the high price of gasoline now adays we need a less stressfull life around here.

In reading the upcoming political events to come, we will have no lack of political articles to read in the near future. This article, just a start to get us fired up for the future.

By the way, does anyone know how much these yellow bricks will cost the average tax payer????

Maybe these yellow bricks will lead to the 6 million dollar corporate resort I was reading about.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

"yellow brick road" ...ZZZZZZ! was some one taking a creativity break when they came up with this campaign name?!? lame name!

and, don't worry you liberals, Brownback's chances are equivalent to the chances of growing tomatoes on the moon this year!
he has voted the wrong way about a dozen times in the past year on topics related to illegal immigration, and the "base" he is counting on knows it. we care very much about his sellout on protecting our border and our economy! he ain't goin' nowhere! my guess he's actually running for VP.
zzz

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

bearded I heard that tomatoes grown on the moon actualy taste like potatoes. And did you know that if you eat a tomatoe in space, it has a lighter less filling taste?

Just words of wizdome on another topic that I know a little about. Yes it is true, I have never been to the moon and I dont realy like tomatoes, but I have taken time out of my busy schedule to learn about this and pass it on to my fellow citizens.

POLITICS, VEGETABLES, CARS, AND SCIENCE. I have researched them all

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

well Bud, you're really opened my mind here, eat a 'tomatoe' grown on the moon and it tastes like a potato...so, what'ya get if you grow potatoes on the moon, mellons? note, you spelled tomatoe as did Dan quayle, former VP. apparently, he could spell VP, we don't know if he could spell vice president or what would happen if you planted a vice president on the moon.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

Bearded:

You are good, I was hoping someone would see the politicaly misspelled word I placed in my post. Potatoes do not grow well on the moon due to all the dust good question though. Thanks for your support and accurate reading of my posts.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

as to the yellow bricks, we could send used, 1920's lawrence bricks, dipped in cheese sauce for the money-saving value?

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

Yes we could but ther would be an excise tax on the cheese. As you may know, the weather this year will surely cause a cheese shortage by the year 2008. One should start rationing cheese now to avoid being taxed heavily next year.

chucknoblet 7 years, 11 months ago

This will be hilarious! Brownback will have the spotlight on him that he has always craved, and it will show what a wingnut, total loon he is! The more he tries to violate the spirit of our founders by mixing religion with government, the more objectionable he will be revealed to be. This will be fun! Can't wait to watch the clips on The Daily Show on Comedy Central!

average 7 years, 11 months ago

Perhaps he could do the best thing he's done for Kansas in years and work on his presidential campaign full-time. The sooner we can replace him with a moderate, pro-Constitution Senator (Moran, Moore, or Sebelius as top options), the sooner he or she can start accruing seniority in the Senate.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 11 months ago

I can't wait for the Sebelius-Brownback match-up for senate in 2010. Especially after Brownback embarrasses himself with the "yellow brick road" presidential campaign.

Click your heels, Dorothy!

The_Voice_of_Reason 7 years, 11 months ago

Well in agreeing with chucknoblet, Id like to say there will be one good thing that comes out of Sam Brokeback's campaign and that will be entertainment... Do you ever make fun of somebody so much you feel as though you should thank them..... Thanks Sam

toefungus 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, the bricks will be yellow, but I don't want to think about what turned them yellow!

Brownback running for president, yet he was one of one two senators that did not even vote for or against the ethics reform. We pay Sam to represent Kansas and he should have been there voting on this important issue.

Godot 7 years, 11 months ago

Gee, Sam, just as we were beginning to live down the Wizard of Oz thing, you resurrect the image.

What I want to know is, are you Dorothy, the Cowardly Lion, or The Tinman without a brain?

Given the choices, I would say you made a bad choice in campaign slogans.

Rich Minder 7 years, 11 months ago

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...

What Brownback needs is a room full of 1950's drag queens swooning over Judy Garland singing "Some Where over the Rainbow".

Newell_Post 7 years, 11 months ago

He's "The Great and Powerful OZ." (Actually just a carny huckster who wants to be powerful and feared in spite of his obvious shortcomings.)

Newell_Post 7 years, 11 months ago

Pay no attention to that little man behind the curtain!

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

When I run for president, Im going to follow the SLT

The_Voice_of_Reason 7 years, 11 months ago

I have a shinny nickel that says Phred Phelps is a ongoing campagin contributor... Wonder how many times he has visited Westbourgh Church??????

Steve Jacob 7 years, 11 months ago

I think it's funny that he will go all over the county, and every county fair in Iowa in 2007. But a bad showing in Iowa in 2008 sinks him from the beginning.

And he has no money, and he has never raised alot of money before. I think Romney has the mojo right now. He's not being pulled down on the war, and he is tougher then ANYONE on the border issue.

toefungus 7 years, 11 months ago

I think it is kind of strange for Brownback to be promoting a Wizard of Oz theme. I thought Conservative Christians were opposed to good witches and bad witches and wizards holding power over people. So, does this mean he will call upon the wizard or the witches to win his way to Washington?

cowgomoo 7 years, 11 months ago

Posted by The_Voice_of_Reason (anonymous) on January 20, 2007 at 10:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Hand the nickel over...Phelps is a democrat. We've all seen the photos of Al Gore over at his house.

I imagine if you asked him he'd say that Brownback is going to hell anyway, so I doubt he'll give a penny.

Comparing Phelps to anyone is like comparing Hitler to anyone...you automatically and irrevocably lose credibilty.