Archive for Friday, January 19, 2007

Journal-World wins several national awards

January 19, 2007

The Lawrence Journal-World on Friday won 11 Suburban Newspapers of America Awards for 2006, the most in the country for the second consecutive year.

The Journal-World won seven first-place and two second-place awards and two honorable mentions.

First place honors include:

¢ Christy Little, special sections editor, Best Special Section for Progress 2006.

¢ Joel Mathis, managing editor for convergence, Best Breaking News Story for coverage of the Boardwalk Apartments fire.

¢ Jon Niccum, entertainment editor, Best Arts & Entertainment Writing for a feature story on a collaboration between a Lawrence artist and filmmaker.

¢ Best Sports section.

¢ Best Feature Photos.

¢ Pulse, Best Young People's Coverage.

¢ Lawrence Family Magazine, Best Parent Publication.

Meanwhile, Editorial Page Editor Ann Gardner took second place for Best Editorial Page and Arts Editor Mindie Paget won second place for Best Arts & Entertainment Writing for a feature on the impact of silence on art.

Mathis received an honorable mention for Best Environmental Coverage for his story "Leak Fuels Neighbors' Fears," and Susan Roberts received an honorable mention for Best Headline for "Mounties Enforce Lawn Order."

The Journal-World placed second in the nation last summer in SNA's Newspaper of the Year contest for papers up to 25,000 daily circulation. The newspaper finished first in 2005.

Suburban Newspapers of America is composed of 2,000 newspapers across North America.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 11 months ago

Didn't they also win the award for best at self-promotion?

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 11 months ago

I was sure they'd win most typos and grammar mistakes. They should maybe have a recount if they didn't come out on top in that department.

Newell_Post 7 years, 11 months ago

Here's a real irony.... I never thought the LJW newspaper was very good. Marginally adequate maybe, but not exceptional. However, the comments to the LJW website are terrific. Much better than any other news outlet I know of, and I follow several cities where I formerly lived and others where I travel for business.

In the LJW web comments, even the lunatic fringe at BOTH ends of the spectrum usually have pretty interesting arguments for their points of view. I can't remember how many times I have learned a lot about a particular issue from the posts. In many cases, the basic article started out as a short, relatively perfunctory piece. But the comments not only provided a lot of factual info but also points of view that a respectable member of the fourth estate couldn't, wouldn't, or shouldn't offer up.

Is there an award for best "comments" section to a news website? That's what the LJW (or maybe you, dear reader) should have won.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

Politicaly speaking, I would like to nominate myself for the best posts of the year. However, this makes me politicaly incorrect and very politicaly driven

Godot 7 years, 11 months ago

thank you, LJW, for providing this forum of free speech for people like me. Without it, I would I have not been heard. I have sent letters to the editor, but they were not printed because Anne Gardner did not agree with my point of view. She even called me to argue with me, personally. Anne, your political nature, as editor of the LJW,, has been exposed, politically speaking

The "comment" section of the LJW may be short lived. again.

Godot 7 years, 11 months ago

and, Thank you, budwhysir, for your completely nonsensical posts, for bringing clarity to this political situation, politically speaking.

Sigmund 7 years, 11 months ago

I have to agree with all the posters on this one. Although full of grammar mistakes, typo's, horrid headline puns, and self promotion, the LJW website is without a doubt one of the best uses of online publishing and community forums I have ever come across.

While I might not always agree with the publisher, editors, or writers on their views of the news, I can say without fear of contradiction that every potential perspective on each story is reflected in the "Comments."

Technically the website has a minimum of flash (literally and figuratively) making it fast (even on mobile devices), navigation is straight forward and intuitive, there are few "dead links", and it is highly available 99.9% of the time. Readers can use the browser of their choice on the OS of their choice and the content display properly and quickly. When Ben wrote the code for the site he was inspired and the current maintainers have had the wisdom and the skill not to screw it up.

Bottomline: www.ljworld.com , for all of its problems, is a great asset to our community! Congratulations to all!

shirinisb 7 years, 11 months ago

I wonder how much those awards cost Dolph.

Sigmund 7 years, 11 months ago

Quite a lot really when you consider all the equipment and talent needed to keep the high quality of the site. Fortunately much of the great content is user provided in the Comment section and cost very little. On the other hand comments like yours have the little value but the same costs.

Sigmund 7 years, 11 months ago

Here is a puzzler for you all. In the private sector the cost of the products typically decrease while the quality increases. Computers and technology are easy examples but increases in productivity of American workers in most areas of the economy have led to the same result as private companies compete to do it better and for less cost.

Where are the similar declining costs and increased productivity in the public sector? If there were similar gains in Government wouldn't you expect declining taxes and increased quality of Government services? Constant demands for more and more taxes, ever increasing number of bureaucrats, and dissatisfaction of citizens suggest exactly the opposite is happening.

What is missing in the public sector that is present in the private sector the makes the difference?

Newell_Post 7 years, 11 months ago

In your example, private sector = commodities, government = services.

In the private sector, professional services (lawyers, accountants, engineers) have not gotten much cheaper. Repetitive services that can be automated have. (No more telephone operators or elevator operators.) Repetitive commodities like PCs always come down in price as the industry matures and high-cost producers are driven out.

The competitive auction ultimately drives down costs of commodities to equilibrium level. Some government services can benefit from competition, but others just can't. The Post Office now has at least some element of competition from Fed Ex, Fax machines, and the internet. But I don't know how you apply competitive market forces to the FBI or the Supreme Court.

We all know government programs we would like to eliminate. Unfortunately, it's a democracy and the government operates according to the rules of politics, not the rules of business.