Archive for Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Crumbling classroom pricetag continues to rise

Now $876.5 million

January 17, 2007

— The cost of repairs at state higher education facilities has increased another $150 million.

The six regents universities, including Kansas University, had pegged the cost of deferred maintenance at $727 million.

But the state's 19 community colleges just completed a study to put a cost on their repair bills.

The damage: $149.5 million.

That brings the total pricetag to $876.5 million, and growing each year.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and legislators have declared the backlog of repairs a major priority during the current legislative session.

Sebelius said she will have a proposal to address the issue by the end of this month. Senators have formed a task force to make a recommendation too.

Comments

fletch 8 years, 7 months ago

KU Athletics is self-sufficient when it comes to finances. The same can not be said for the legislature.

the_overnighter 8 years, 7 months ago

How come the rest of us have to work within a budget? I wish I could raise taxes to maintain my home.

Jamesaust 8 years, 7 months ago

"I wish I could raise taxes to maintain my home."

Obviously, if you have a home, you did "raise taxes" (by definition).

"How come the rest of us have to work within a budget?"

You don't have to; you can refuse to budget money for necessities just like the State did, and you can bear the resulting consequences, just like the State is doing. (Hmmm....repair roof / trip to Vegas; repair roof / trip to Vegas. WWJD?)

Hmm......I don't remember 'your' voice raised in prior years demanding higher taxes so that the full budget would be spent each year. Its difficult to remember but there was something about "lower taxes...lower taxes...we've got enough money".

Phillbert 8 years, 7 months ago

Fletch, KU Athletics is NOT self-sufficient. All students, not just ones with sports packs, pay mandatory fees to the athletic department to support "non-revenue" sports (those fees doubled this year after a student vote.)

I don't know about other taxpayer support, but I do know KU is asking taxpayers to pay for $15M in repairs to athletic department buildings, including $8M for the Fieldhouse, as part of this whole deferred maintenance issue (the list is at http://www.kansasregents.org/).

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 7 months ago

Are donations to KU Athletic Corporation/Williams Fund tax deductible? If so, then they are clearly not self-sufficient.

Baille 8 years, 7 months ago

"KU endownment can write a check for the ENTIRE bill and still have over a B-I-L-L-I-O-N dollars left....

what's wrong with this picture????"

Donors did not give to maintain state buildings. That is the responsibility of the state - which under our system of government is...us.

What is wrong with the picture? Absolutely nothing.

oldgoof 8 years, 7 months ago

State universities are state responsibilities. Community colleges are locally governed units. Why should the state pay for these local obligations?

fletch 8 years, 7 months ago

Phillbert, you proved my point exactly. KU Atheletcis has a financial system in place where they receive a certain amount of revenue and spend it. Nowhere did I say their system didn't include fees and surcharges. My implication is that KU Athletics lives within their budget, unlike the state. They don't bring in 50 million and spend 75 million.

not_dolph 8 years, 7 months ago

KU Athletics and KUEA have nothing to do with this...goof and baille pass the test today.