Archive for Tuesday, January 16, 2007

LMH ranks among top community hospitals

Study lists facility No. 14 in heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia care

January 16, 2007

Lawrence Memorial Hospital has been ranked No. 14 in the country among community hospitals that provide heart attack, heart failure and pneumonia care, a new study has found.

The study by Colorado-based Total Benchmark Solution is based on data that hospitals submit to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The data details how often the hospital follows recommended procedures for treating certain types of conditions.

"I try to think of it in terms of whether we are doing the right things to the right people at the right time," said Gene Meyer, president and chief executive of LMH. "The fact that we have scored so high, I think, is a good indication of the quality of care that we provide."

This is the second year that the hospital has made the center's Top 100 list, but this is the first year the group has attached a specific ranking to individual hospitals. The ranking places Lawrence at the top of the list among community hospitals within a 100-mile radius of the city.

Two other hospitals in the area ranked in the top 100. They were the Saint Joseph Health Center in Kansas City, Mo., and Saint Luke's South Hospital in Overland Park. Several others ranked outside the top 100 but in the top 25th percentile of the more than 2,000 hospitals that submitted data. Those included the Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., Shawnee Mission Medical Center, the St. Francis Health Center in Topeka, and the Olathe Medical Center.

The report measured how often hospitals undertook recommended procedures, such as dispensing aspirin to patients who come in with symptoms of a heart attack, giving comprehensive discharge instructions to patients with heart conditions and prescribing appropriate antibiotics to pneumonia patients.

Attempts to reach representatives with Total Benchmark Solution, a private company that compiles research for hospitals, were unsuccessful Monday.

The report did not rank LMH against all hospitals in the country. It ranked LMH only against other "acute care" hospitals that offer similar services.

Meyer said the rankings have the potential to provide the hospital a financial boost in addition to being a good measurement of patient care. Meyer said Medicare and Medicaid are in the process of implementing a "pay for performance" system. The amount of money hospitals are reimbursed for certain procedures will be based on how often they meet the recommended guidelines.

Meyer said the federal government also is promoting Web sites - such as www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov - that allow consumers to compare rankings of various hospitals, which may become a factor in where patients choose to receive treatment.

"We're definitely in a consumer-driven environment these days," Meyer said.

Comments

bunnyhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

After the horrible experience I had as a cardiac patient at LMH, I'm terrified to think it's one of the best hospitals in its class. Are there only 20 hospitals in this class???

amazed 7 years, 11 months ago

Always seemed to me like more people die here than not.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like they should get thier share of the advanced insurance premiums that we pay. #14 would be top of the list if this was a top 15 list.

Although this ranking would be good if it was the top 100 list

Susan Thomas 7 years, 11 months ago

If you look at the website, it appears that little ol' LMH is in good company. St. Luke's South and St. Joseph's in KC, as well as Mayo Clinic and Robert Wood Johnson.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

When I stayed at LMH I enjoyed my ability to be left alone and not bothered

cowboy 7 years, 11 months ago

LMH has saved my rear three times now and provided the best care available ! Thanks to Dr. Loney and Dr. McClain , you are awesome !

jecagirl 7 years, 11 months ago

I went there 4 years ago with really bad stomach pain, so bad I couldn't hardly move and I was throwing up. Dr. Severa didn't bother to do any tests. He admitted me over night and sent me home the next day telling me basically that it was all in my head and I was making myself throw up. I had never seen this dr. before so how could he come up with this assumtion. Well less than a week later I was back in the hospital having an emergency appendectomy. It was so infected they couldn't even see my appendix and it burst while they were taking it out. Now thats what I call a quack that works at a quack of a hospital.

Scattered 7 years, 11 months ago

As I have mentioned in this column before, I live several hours away, and two of my grown children live in your town. In 4 LMH experiences, there have been 4 potentially serious mistakes over the past 10 years.

l. One child almost had to have a heart catherization because of mistakes made during a cardiac test. TWO TIMES this happened. Thank God for a very wise cardiologist who told me from the start that the technician had a "history of making mistakes" and that he thought this was the case. It was.

1. ER was going to try to intubate during a seizure.

2. Intravenous antibiotics were given to one child even though the allergy was clearly marked on the chart and it was discussed with the nurses.

3. One child suffers from seizures caused by medication, extreme stress, lack of water and/or low blood sugar. After a dr. prescribed a seizure-causing medication, this child spent all day in the hospital having seizures. When I got there late that night, I had to insist that the floor call the dr. to order an IV, as she had only 2=3 sips of water all day. Seizures stopped within 20 minutes of IV.

It is a tragedy what medical care in America has become....