Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Assistance available to custodial grandparents

January 16, 2007

The Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services is taking applications for the Grandparents as Caregivers program.

The program provides monthly financial assistance to grandparents or other relatives who are raising children. Eligible grandparents will receive $200 per grandchild, not to exceed $600 per month.

To qualify for the program, you must be a grandparent or other qualifying relative, have legal custody of and be living with children, be age 50 or older and have a traditional annual household income of less than 130 percent of the federal poverty level.

For more information, call (888) 369-4777 or go online to www.srskansas.org/ISD/ees/grandparents_caregivers.htm.

Comments

mom_of_three 11 years, 3 months ago

I wonder how and why they picked the age of 50.
My mother was a grandmother at 45. Most of the people in my family became grandparents several years before 50. Luckily, no one needs the program.

Confrontation 11 years, 3 months ago

mom_of_three 11 years, 3 months ago

I disagree. People can be the greatest parents in the world, but can't always influence their children to stay away from drugs and alcohol. There are other contributing factors in the mix besides bad parenting.

linus 11 years, 3 months ago

Confrontation:

You assume to know everything about this but in reality you know NOTHING! How DARE you blame the grandparents! You were obviously trying to raise peoples blood pressure and my, my my you have done so!!!

SoundMind 11 years, 3 months ago

"Why don't people raise more responsible children so they don't end up raising their grandkids? I know that some of these cases are beyond the control of the grandparents (death, disability, etc.), but many are because of the grandparent's crappy parenting. The cycle continues as the grandkids are brought up in the same way."

Because, of course, you are perfect.

joshs_mom 11 years, 3 months ago

mom_of_three:

It is my understanding that age 50 is the median age that a person becomes a grandparent for the first time in the U.S. That is why age 50 was chosen. I am not sure how that information was gathered, probably from the last Census.

Unfortunately, in my line of work, I see first time grandparents who are often in their late 30's. It becomes a cycle, they had their children as teenagers and then their children become teenage parents themselves. This is not to say that this becomes a cycle in all cases, but sometimes it does.

It would be great if the state could offer this subsidy to younger grandparents, however, there is only so much money to go around.