Archive for Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Traffic-calming devices OK’d on Ninth Street

January 10, 2007

Commissioners unanimously approved a request to add traffic-calming devices to a section of Ninth Street in western Lawrence.

Commissioners did not decide whether traffic circles, speed humps or other types of devices need to be installed. Instead, they added it to a list of traffic-calming projects they have approved but not funded.

City commissioners were not able to give neighbors a timeline for the project. Commissioners did say that they need to have a discussion about how they are going to fund the list of about eight projects that have been approved.

The city has $250,000 in its budget for traffic-calming projects and sidewalk repairs. That will not cover the costs of all of the projects. The Ninth Street project has a estimated cost of $125,000.

Comments

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 3 months ago

Reality Check

Don't drive in MX, go downtown, loosen up and ask around for the for the best place to go......you won't regret it........it's not like America.......fun place!!!

Just get a taxi......the bars closest to the water are the best. Keep pesos in your pocket.

Reality_Check 7 years, 3 months ago

"Neighbors who live along Ninth Street between Lawrence Avenue and Kasold Drive said high vehicle speeds in the area required that some sort of traffic-calming devices be installed."

Damn neighbors win again. Why on earth do those people think they know what's best for threir street? (preceding was called "sarcasm"...look it up.)

right_thinker: The ride I took in a rented VW, from Playa del Carmen to that water park 45 min. south whose name escapes me, with my wife driving because I gave up within 5 min., was the sccariest of my life. I swear, if I go back, we ain't renting a car!

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 3 months ago

Glad you enjoy the forum, budwhysir.

Mexico calm? Depends on your definition of calm.

Between the unbelievable experience of diving a coral reef and going crazy in downtown Playa Del Carmen.......it's all stepping over the edge and takes me away from reality.......I'm a little nuts and danger and a dare is what helps me escape from the doldrum of home---just have to know when to what/when and balance the two.

Keep posting and enjoying the wonderful experience of LJW--worldwide and critically acclaimed.

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

R_T Thanks for your support, you and I can get these posters to understand the real meaning of the news as it is presented, I enjoy your posts. Never been to mexico but sounds like things are pretty calm

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 3 months ago

budwhysir, you are doing exactly what you need to be doing on this forum. I listen and do not think you are off your rocker....keep doing what you are doing.....you are heard and you are appreciated.

you wanna see "traffic calming devices"? Go to Mexico, the speed bumps down there will rattle your teeth loose, especially if you're already "bumped".

Love Mexico!!!!!!!!

budwhysir---keep on keepin' on!!

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

Am I supposed to be calm about this?????????? It has been brought to my attention that many dont listen to what I have to say and many think I am off my rocker.

And I am supposed to be calm about traffic control. The only thing that makes me calm is driving down Missouri street to get to another typical football game

Godot 7 years, 3 months ago

plumberscrack, I agree with you....for future roundabout/traffic calming decisions....just so everyone affected knows what is at stake.

rhd99 7 years, 3 months ago

Time to get rid of the waste at City Hall & the Masters of Waste! ENOUGH is ENOUGH!

plumberscrack 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by Pilgrim (anonymous) on January 10, 2007 at 7:11 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Ninth Street is a major east-west arterial in this city. So now we're going to make sure that we screw up its ability to handle traffic flow.

I wonder when Lawrence is going to figure out ways to expedite traffic rather than jamming it up.

The article doesn't mention to vote count, but here's dollars to donuts the Three Stooges took the lead on this newest way to fix what isn't broken. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I believe the vote was unanimous there Pilgrim; so I guess that makes it the 'four stooges'?!

The only way to stop this insanity is to make those neighborhoods who request these roundabouts, pay for them, in the form of special assessments. (Put on their taxes) This way it's paid for by those that 'benefit' and not the city as a whole.

I bet the requests for roundabouts declines dramatically if we had benefit districts pay for these devices.

Confrontation 7 years, 3 months ago

If the only kids playing in the streets are teenagers, then why don't we get more of them and use them as speedbumps?

Dayna Lee 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh, you've got to be kidding me if you think that 9th and Lawrence is the part of the street people speed down!!!!! You'd be better off putting in a traffic light there then anything else!!!!!

bevy 7 years, 3 months ago

There goes my favorite quick route across Lawrence. And I don't mean quick because I speed there - I DON'T and I'm careful because of the hills & curves. But one of the reasons I drive it is that it is NEARLY ALWAYS EMPTY OF TRAFFIC.

Of course I'm not there after the damn kids get out of high school each day. Maybe it becomes a speedway after that.

Godot 7 years, 3 months ago

This city commission has a track record of punishing and/or inconveniencing everyone in order to stop the bad behavior of a few. This commission runs this city as if it were a classroom.

I disagree with sunshine_noise about it being too expensive to have police enforce the speed limit. The people who drive that three block strip of road drive it regularly. A few well-deserved speeding tickets would go a long way to solve the problem.

By the way, how in the world did the commissioners approve this, unanimously? They do not know whether it will be speed bumps or roundabouts or big pot holes, and they do not know the exact location, let alone the cost, but they are okay with approving $125,000 for it?

Guest what will happen when whatever they decide on gets put out to bid? No matter what the final project, you can be sure the bids will come in at $125,000. That is, if they even bother to get bids.

Blatant fiscal irresponsibility!

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Well, yes, that's the sensible thing. If I had to support any measure, it would be to do nothing at all, as I don't really believe the area to be a problematic one in regards to traffic. I think it's just people who like to complain complaining, and our rediculously maternalistic city commission thinking up things to do in order to seem active and engaged.

Kat Christian 7 years, 3 months ago

What and pay a policeman to sit and monitor traffic? - then people would complain about that. The police aren't doing enough about crime, just sitting in their cars eating donuts. Actually in the long run it would be more expensive to pay a police officer to sit and radar traffic. And besides that's only a temporary fix. Can't please everyone. The bottom-line DRIVERS (including me) we need to SLOW DOWN when we are driving in neighborhoods, leave earlier if you have to take that street and take your time. It's unfortuate it has come to this - to force people to slow down and drive at the speed limit. They want to behave irresponsible then authority will have to treat them as such and force them to obey. What do you expect people? slow down - that's what is cheaper.

Porter 7 years, 3 months ago

"youngsters with no regard for the posted speed limits " ...rigghhhttttt. It's those gosh darn youngsters causing all the traffic problems again!

I guess if you want to generalize, I'd venture to bet that most of you pooh-pooing roundabouts are the same old farts I see stopped at them every morning. Both me and my brakes say a nice little thank you to the city commission every time I go through a roundabout instead of waiting at a four-way stop.

sweetiepie 7 years, 3 months ago

It's pretty amusing to see how the discussion moved from the issue (traffic calming on W. 9th Street) to kids playing in the streets and why won't their parents watch them. Where did THAT come from? There's nothing in the article about kids or parents--just "neighbors."

Godot 7 years, 3 months ago

I drive that stretch every day. There are not many kids living along there. Lots of kids walk along the street to get to West and Sunset schools. The "kids" that are in the street are usually teenage boys on skate boards.

I'm still trying the figure out where a roundabout would be justified. There are only two four way intersections between Kasold and Lawrence, and neither of them includes a major cross street. One of them leads to a dead end on a cul-de-sac to the south, and a semicircle leading to ninth on the north, and the other has a dead end on the south, and that same semi-circle that leads back to 9th on the north.

Putting no-parking signs on both sides of ninth and eighth would be more helpful than a couple of roundabouts.

Confrontation 7 years, 3 months ago

Why can't some parents take responsibility for their kids? Why don't they try "watching" their kids? If you kid is playing in the street, then you are an idiot for not paying attention.

JumporFall 7 years, 3 months ago

ranger73, stop giving them ideas. As a taxpayer I can not afford aroma therapy treatment for the savage drivers. Although I believe the bicyclists would recieve the most benifit. So SHHH!

Godot 7 years, 3 months ago

Where will the roundabouts be? Article does not say.

jayhawk1980 7 years, 3 months ago

When people purchase houses do they not take into account where the house is located? How much traffic will pass by and at what speed? I would think that would be one of the most obvious things to consider.

My suggestion to everyone: pay attention to where the house you are buying is located. If you don't like how much traffic is on the street or if traffic is going too fast for you, don't buy that house. There are many many houses for sale in perfectly good neighborhoods that do not have traffic "issues".

ranger73 7 years, 3 months ago

Those 2 90 degreee turns and that big blind hill are obviously not calming enough, so the city is going to spend 3 million to level and straighten it, (acquiring the property needed thru eminent domain) so there is a straight shot between Lawrence Ave. and Kasold. Then they will put 4 roundabouts and 3 speed bumps and have a happy face mural installed on the north side of the road that can emit a relaxing aroma therapy fragrance so when you drive by it calms the savage driver.

porkchop 7 years, 3 months ago

Why don't those damn kids just stay out of the street?

Damn kids.

shorty042784 7 years, 3 months ago

ok i totaly agree with Pilgrim why take all this money and put it to makein a street that isnt broken. Defender u are right also i was born and raised in lawrence i moved to kc ya thats a big city but u have highways u can jump on to get from one side of town to the other. Or even if its just right down the street u still have a highway that will take u less time to get there instead of going throw town.but do u honestly think are comments mean anything to these people. U watch they will put a round-a-bouts but just think they will find another way home or to work and then jam up other streets!!!

classclown 7 years, 3 months ago

I say combine roundabouts with speed humps. That way they will look like carousels during the rush hours.

macon47 7 years, 3 months ago

the city has round abouts because we have too many careless drivers that are too important to drive the speed limit and operate their vheicles in a safe and prudent manner . sorry the city has to waste money because of jerks behind the wheel

KUGreenMachine 7 years, 3 months ago

I HATE ROUND-A-BOUTS...WHY OH WHY DOES THIS CITY HAVE SO MANY!?!?!? AHHHHHHHH

estespark 7 years, 3 months ago

The arterial system in this town is a joke. Traffic calming devices are not the solution, unfortunately new pavement is.

I was part of the Louisiana St. study back in '99 during which a consultant from Australia sold both the Planning Department and Commission on traffic calming devices...they're a good idea on paper.

imagold 7 years, 3 months ago

I travel that stretch of 9th St every evening on the way home. The speed limit is 25. There is no need for traffic calming devices. Traffic calming devices do just the opposite. They irritate the dickens out of most of us. What needs to be done with that stretch of road is take out the hills and straighten out the curves. That would remove some of the dangers of driving that street, as well as the complainers who chose to live on that street. Several times I've crested the hill only to find a delivery truck parked on the street or someone pulling out of the cul-de-sac and dead end streets on the south side. Who planned that anyway? They also need to limit drivers on that stretch of 9th St. to ages 25 and above. The ones I have seen driving a little fast are those youngsters with no regard for the posted speed limits or any other driving law, for that matter, such as the stop signs at 9th and Kasold.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Lets not confuse which stretch of 9th street we're talking about. This section is short, narrow, and widely curved. It is not an artery street in the least, and is really not often used, from what I can tell. Instead of building another damned roundabout, why don't we just put a police officer with a radar somewhere around there with some frequency, and slow down speeder the old fashioned, and less expensive way?

bmwjhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Have you driven this stretch? It's got two curves of almost 90 degrees. It's no more an artery than Trail Road. Fast cars have winded up in people's yards. Traffic calming devices seem appropriate for safety.

If the city commission approved smiles, would you hate smiles, too?

offtotheright 7 years, 3 months ago

How about lowering the speed limit? (i don't know what it is currently). Or maybe more speed limit enforcement?

Once this City is filled with speed bumps, and round-a-bouts, can we do away with radar guns all together?

I swear....$250,000 is not much, but I bet those living on 9th would rather have a nice sidewalk!

Porter 7 years, 3 months ago

First, the commission doesn't listen. Then, when they respond to constituent requests, they're idiots. Were you two bundles of sunshine at the meeting to hear why these improvements are necessary? I'm sure they could have used your traffic planning expertise.

Ninth St. is a major east-west arterial in this city? I guess that would make 6th and 15th super-highways, eh? Last time I drove the mentioned stretch of major arterial, I just saw houses with kids in the yards.

macon47 7 years, 3 months ago

yes, it is unfortunate the people of lawrence cannot operate their cars in a safe manner and the city is forced to spend money on traffic calming devices. 9th street had pretty much turned into a race track and a short cut for the drunks to find their way home yes it is all the citys fault unless you want to blame george bush too!

Defender 7 years, 3 months ago

OMG, I agree with Pilgrim for once! The problem with the traffic flow in this town is that THERE IS NO TRAFFIC FLOW!!! Slowing down traffic is only going to make traffic worse. This stupid city has no through streets!!

Pilgrim 7 years, 3 months ago

blue73harley 7 years, 3 months ago

The waste of money continues. Half the budget goes to traffic-calming. What a bunch of idiots.