Archive for Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Accident victim dies

January 3, 2007

An Overland Park woman died Tuesday of injuries she received in a motorcycle accident on Monday near Tonganoxie.

Bobbi K. Ladd, 46, died at the University of Kansas Hospital, Kansas City, Kan., according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

The patrol said Ladd was a passenger on a motorcycle driven by Larry Joe Ferrell, 52, Kansas City, Kan., that was traveling about 1:10 p.m. Monday on U.S. Highway 24-40, just north of Hemphill Road.

The kickstand on the 1982 Honda motorcycle, which was heading east, began dragging on the pavement. Ferrell lost control of the bike, which went off the road, throwing Ferrell and Ladd.

Ferrell, who was not wearing a helmet, was taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center, where he was listed in fair condition on Wednesday, hospital officials said.

Ladd was wearing a helmet, according to the highway patrol.

The accident site is about three miles south of Tonganoxie.

Comments

Centrist 7 years, 11 months ago

It is not relevant to the story. I agree, especially since the rider who was wearing a helmet was (unfortunately) the one who died.

A horrible 'unlucky' accident.

Sincere condolences to all.

grubesteak 7 years, 11 months ago

The helmet issue is relevant because it'll be the first thing that people ask. Rather than leaving doubt in the reader's mind, they are getting it out of the way.

Kind of like when someone dies in a car wreck, the first thing you ask is, "Were they wearing their seat belt?"

ljrich 7 years, 11 months ago

boots, leathers, eye protection, gloves-these things will not save your life, a helmet might, and that is entirely relevant to this story.
condolences to the family.

cutny 7 years, 11 months ago

It's same deal when people have a car accident. Were they wearing a seat belt? Was alcolhol involved? Kansas is one of the few states that does not require a helmet for adult riders. Sounds like the story touched a nerve, eh Blue?

Chris Golledge 7 years, 11 months ago

Have to agree that, legalities aside, it will be a question on peoples minds. It was on mine until I got to that point of the story.

It's relevant. Because, the newspaper is telling a story and when a person takes a risk and loses, whatever they did or did not do to mitigate the risk is an interesting part of the story. Life is inherantly risky; I'm not judging riders.

'Legal' and 'responsible' do not necessarily go hand in hand. Can't say that I'd be 100% in favor of forcing individuals to wear a helmet, but I wouldn't ride without one. Judging by the scraping/grinding I was listening to while waiting to stop, I'd be missing an ear if not part of my face if I hadn't had one on during one spill. Still broke my leg, but it could have been worse.

Condolences to the family.

oldgoof 7 years, 11 months ago

It's relevant because people will ask.....it is as simple as that.

Laura Watkins 7 years, 11 months ago

i definitely think it's relevant-- if it hadn't been mentioned, there would be so many claiming that she probably would have made it if she had only worn a helmet.

all of that aside, i'd like to ditto condolences to the family.

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

my condolences to family&friends.

uh, another relevant point that i feel is being overlooked-dragging kickstand, hello? proper maintenance goes an awful long way. and some just don't bother to check these seemingly "minor" things.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 11 months ago

Your right about proper maintenance.

Was it a month or so ago in Georgia?, some girls car brakes went out, she hit a school bus with kids took a 15 feet drop, killing three?

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

wasn't aware of that one, srj...but honestly, i think there are likely lots of accidents that happen due to improper maintenance etc. just my thoughts.

i rode a motorcycle for some time, some years back; i cannot for the life of me imagine the kickstand dragging if you've been paying attention to your scoot. just seems weird is all.

yellowhouse 7 years, 11 months ago

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of GOD--Hebrews iv.9

Oh, if I, as one forgiven

Reach at last that happy shore;

How shall all the hosts of heaven

Shout, with wonder and adore!

Here we must Labor, in heaven we shall rest; here we must suffer, there we shall be filled with joy; here we journey, In heaven we shall enjoy sweet repose.

Angie Dick 7 years, 11 months ago

Sorry folks, Gotta speak my mind. I have to say it has nothing to do with whether they worn a helmet or not.. The fact is the lady lost her life.. So why worry about the law's ect. You can take every percaustion under the sun, Doesn't mean it will save your life. My heart go's out to her family. I think it is heart wrenching to loose a loved one.. So why worry bout all the legal crap?? besides that, it isn't none of our business (including my self to make judgement) Just offer her family as much love and prayers that you can.. I am sure any family under those circumstances would much rather see love, than laws.. Blessed be!