Archive for Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Polls open for primary decisions

February 27, 2007

Reader poll
Who is your favorite candidate today?

or See the results without voting

Local officials prepare for Primary Election Day

Polls open at 7 a.m. and County Clerk Jamie Shew says many voters still have questions about what to expect. Enlarge video

Voters are expected to be greeted by clear skies and seasonably cool weather for today's Lawrence City Commission primary.

Three of the nine commission candidates will be culled in preparation for the April 3 general election.

There are several key issues on the horizon for the commission, including the potential for a new large retail development on the edge of the city, the fate of a proposed $30 million downtown library and whether the city should purchase the vacant Farmland Industries property to use as a business park.

Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew encouraged people to go out and vote today.

"My soapbox has always been that the local elections are electing people who have more of a direct impact on your life than the national elections do," Shew said.

The City Commission candidates are James Bush, Rob Chestnut, Jake Davis, Mike Dever, Sam Fields, Boog Highberger, Michael Limburg, Carey Maynard-Moody and David Schauner. Voters will cast ballots for three candidates.

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today.

There is no primary for Lawrence school board. Voters will elect new school board members on April 3.

¢ The election is nonpartisan, so all registered voters are eligible. Check your registry online at www.douglas-county.com/clerk/vedivision.asp

¢ Voters can select up to three of the nine City Commission candidates. Six candidates will advance to the April 3 general election.

¢ Watch Sunflower Broadband Channel 6 tonight for live results.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh cut the lying crap, concrete. If any signs are missing, it's likely they were removed by the city for being placed in the right of way, which is illegal, but common for the "power elite" candidates.

Sigmund 7 years, 10 months ago

I hear the PLC Kommissioners are holding a rally for their supporters at the Mass St. Deli before going to the polls.

Jamesaust 7 years, 10 months ago

I'll be looking to see:

(A) if Schauner will survive the primary at all,

(B) whether novice Davis will show unexpected (at least by me) strength

(C) if Maynard-Moody or the Rev. Bush is no. 6

(D) how many votes (in addition to advertising) Dever can purchase.

HoosierPride 7 years, 10 months ago

Hopefully when people are casting their votes they will not overlook those with little experience and no tie-ins with local special interest groups.

opinion 7 years, 10 months ago

I checked to see if I was registered and I wasn't. Of course, the link in the article is for Douglas County...OREGON!

Correct link is douglas-county.com/clerk/vedivision.asp

Shan06 7 years, 10 months ago

I voted this morning. Jake Davis all the way!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 10 months ago

"And if the online poll reveals anything,"

It never does.

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

"(D) how many votes (in addition to advertising) Dever can purchase."

buying votes appears to be working for chestnut.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

I voted over the lunch hour and was soooo disappointed to discover that in my district, I was voter 21!!!!!

Jaminrawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Who would honestly vote for Jake Davis? Is the smoking ban REALLY that big of an issue? Last time I checked, I smoke and I really don't care about having to step outside at a bar. One issue candidates are bad news. If the city voted the ban in, then having one guy on the comission isn't going to change anything.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 10 months ago

Advance voting keeps the numbers down on election day. Although the numbers are usually small in a local primary, you can't tell anything from how many have voted since this morning.

Baille 7 years, 10 months ago

The "Turn-Lawrence-Into-Olathe" cabal seems to be ahead. Low voter turn-out and the lack of citizen participation will kill our community.