Archive for Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Junior high evacuated for fire in restroom

February 27, 2007

Advertisement

Central Junior High School students get unexpected break from school today

Everyone had to be evacuated around lunch time because of a fire in the women's restroom at Central Junior High School. Enlarge video

Central Junior High School was evacuated during the noon hour Monday when a fire was discovered in a first-floor girls' bathroom.

"Somebody set a toilet paper dispenser on fire in one of the stalls," said Julie Boyle, communications director for the Lawrence school district.

Boyle said the fire, which was discovered about 12:30 p.m., was extinguished by staff members at the school, 1400 Mass.

"There was some smoke damage in the partition of the restroom stall, and it damaged the dispenser," Boyle said.

All students were evacuated from the school for about 35 minutes.

Boyle said the district didn't yet have a damage estimate.

Lawrence firefighters and school officials are investigating the fire, she said.

Comments

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 6 months ago

sounds like a good way to get out of school.

MississippiFrog 8 years, 6 months ago

I can remember from my days at South Junior High the many times standing outside, usually in the cold, all because some dumb kid would torch the toliet seat.

I'm sure the kids in gym class appreciated the rest of the school seeing them in their gym outfits.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.