Archive for Friday, February 23, 2007

Egyptian blogger gets 4-year sentence

February 23, 2007

— An Egyptian blogger was convicted Thursday and sentenced to four years in prison for insulting Islam and Egypt's president, sending a chill through fellow Internet writers who fear a government crackdown.

Abdel Kareem Nabil, a 22-year-old former student at Egypt's Al-Azhar University, had been a vocal secularist and sharp critic of conservative Muslims in his blog. He often lashed out at Al-Azhar - the most prominent religious center in Sunni Islam - calling it "the university of terrorism" and accusing it of encouraging extremism.

Nabil's attorney, Ahmed Seif el-Islam, said he would appeal the verdict, adding it will "terrify other bloggers and have a negative impact on freedom of expression in Egypt." Nabil had faced a possible maximum sentence of nine years in prison.

His conviction brought a flood of condemnations from international and Egyptian human rights groups, as well as fellow government critics on the Internet.

Judge Ayman al-Akazi sentenced Nabil to three years in prison for insulting Islam and the Prophet Muhammad and inciting sectarian strife, and another year for insulting President Hosni Mubarak.

Egypt, a top U.S. ally in the Mideast, arrested a number of bloggers last year, most of them for connections to the pro-democracy reform movement. Nabil was put on trial while other bloggers were freed.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 4 months ago

I can't wait till Iraq has a democracy just like Egypt's.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh, come on-- the Christian Taliban in this country would love to see similar laws, as would a lot of neocons.

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Bozo.

Marion just seemed to be scared of all Muslims. Have you ever met a Muslim? I'm not talking about just running into a random Muslim at the airport. I know many Muslims, and they are more rational than many Christians I've met. Please, Marion, try not to educate yourself by just watching Fox news or reading this paper. Don't group all Muslims together, since Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, and all others don't want to be grouped together. Maybe you should watch 20/20 and their episode on the media and fear-creation. Of course, I'm sure you think you've met every Muslima and know 100% about all of their beliefs. And, NO, I don't want to read your book.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

If most Muslims are rational and caring, Confrontation, then why did they send this man to prison for three years for "insulting the Prophet"?

Have you ever heard of anyone in this country being sent to prison for insulting Jesus, or the Pope?

Yeah, there may be Christians who would love to have a law like that. But right now there isn't.

Apparently it's not the same in Egypt and the rest of the Muslim world.

If your religion is so delicate that it can't stand up to criticism or insults, how worthwhile is it?

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

crazyks: Who sent a man to prison for three years? They? Who are "They"? Do you like to be lumped together with every other person who shares your race, religion (or non-religion), auto type, gym membership, etc? Maybe you do like to be stereotyped with other small-minded people like yourself? By the way, I am not Muslim, but I have common sense. Try to get some.

Marion: Seriously, I'd chew my arm off, but only so you wouldn't have a way to force me to hold your book :) I do agree that most religions have hate and discrimination built right into them. However, I have known many Muslims who don't encourage violence, don't treat others like crap, and really don't give a damn if you want to join their religion. I have seen Christians who do all three of those. I just hate to see them all stereotyped as having the same exact mentality. There are still a few good religious people out there. You just have to look really hard ;)

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

Are you arguing that the people in Egypt who sent this man to prison weren't Muslims?

If not, why was he sent to prison just for being disrespectful?

I would like to believe that Islam is a loving, caring religion that does no deliberate harm to anyone, even those who don't believe in it. But so far, that's not what I'm shown on TV every day. And verdicts like this don't do a whole lot to paint Islam in a different light.

And before you spout off about how many Christians have killed in the name of their religion, yes, it's happened in the past. It doesn't happen now, not in this country, not by the religion as a whole. Individual Christians may perpetrate violence on others, but when caught they're forced to pay the consequences for it.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

I have known many Christians who don't encourage violence or treat others like crap. They're usually pretty vocal about that, too. Why aren't Muslims more vocal in their condemnation of so much violence and killing in the name of their religion?

Probably because they know if they publicly criticize, they'll be subject to prison, or worse, the same as this man in Egypt was.

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

crazyks: You are truly mindless.

"I would like to believe that Islam is a loving, caring religion that does no deliberate harm to anyone, even those who don't believe in it. But so far, that's not what I'm shown on TV every day."

On TV! Have you ever tried to discover some things yourself, rather than relying on the media! No wonder you're so clueless! The media doesn't show all the horrible things that Christians and Jews do to others, since that's where the media's money comes from (duh!). How about your Christian brothers in the KKK? They consider themselves to be Christians doing the work of their God. Are they non-violent?

"Most Christians in this country aren't suicide bombers, confrontation, nor putting out car bombs that can wipe out dozens of people who disagree with them all at once."

The Muslims in "this country" and most others are not suicide bombers, either. Don't blame them for what a very small percentage of Muslims decide to do. The media constantly shows the few good deeds of Christians, but they never show the many good deeds of Muslims. Media bias. You fell for it. You can't think for yourself. Try to learn some critical thinking. Seriously, your attitude is much more harmful than that of most Muslims. Watch the media, believe the media, hate because of the media. I bet you also fear all minorities in big cities.

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh, Marion. Unlike the Christians, the Muslims do not believe in creating false/any images of their Prophet Muhammad. I know you've seen the white Jesus pics. Christians and Jews freak out when they don't get respect, so why can't the Muslims? Don't hate the Muslims for not producing black/white/red/green versions of their prophet.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, what's the big deal about rioting and killing, blowing up planes and cutting off peoples' heads. Everyone should be allowed to blow off a little steam when they freak out, right?

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

So, what I see on TV hasn't really happened? Muslims aren't killing each other every day?

Sure, Christians and Jews have done the same thing...though I don't recall lately hearing anything about people in any countries that are primarily Christian or Jewish countries killing each other.

However, the article was about a man in Egypt being convicted and sent to prison simply for stating his beliefs, which apparently is against the law there. He was convicted by Muslims in that country, not Christians or Jews.

Have there been any Christians or Jews in any countries lately convicted and sent to prison for criticizing those religions?

I would rather be mindless than have a mind like yours.

erod0723 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow.. this makes me feel better to live in America... where they have to get a search warrant to find out who I am in order to sue me for making fun of them... so I am proud to be an American... no sarcasm....... whatever.