Archive for Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sensible solution

February 14, 2007

To the editor:

Our city missed a really good site for the Lawrence Arts Center. And although it is a nice structure, the Riverfront Mall would have provided already existing rooms for dance and study plus an excellent view of the eagles and the river - and it had parking!

Now we are contemplating yet another big expenditure by building a larger library. Why we spend so much taxpayer money on consultants and decline their advice is beyond me.

The site of the proposed library by the river in one of our parks gets my vote, but we already have that site. Yes, the Riverfront Mall. Evicting all residents now occupying the mall, save Sunflower Cable, would allow a beautiful building site for our public library. And it has parking! Children's reading rooms and adult reading/coffee rooms, activity and art rooms ... I can see it now. With some renovation (much less than a new building) a great city library could have the best seat in town.

All of the media would be centered in the same area of town. The newspaper, the library, and the cable TV news and service.

Is Lawrence really ready for a sensible solution to this problem?

Karen Keim,

Lawrence

Comments

Kookamooka 7 years, 11 months ago

No. Lawrence is not ready for a sensible solution. The Simon's plan called for reclaiming the Riverfront Mall and when the poll was completed the plan was removed from consideration.

It was the best plan, in my opinion. Maybe it went a little "over the top" and turned people off. With a little whittling, it could still work and work well for the community.

Is the rejection of that plan political? maybe? personal? maybe. I don't know what goes on with the movers and shakers in this town but I do know that Lawrencians are turned off by anything the would elevate the profile of our community. We don't like to spend money on things that seem frivolous.

News_to_me 7 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like the best idea to me. Attempting to locate the Post Office at The Riverfront Plaza would be a nightmare. A library makes more sense at the location.

I'm not sure what is going on under the table here. Originally, the World Co. and Fritzel were together on the Riverfront library proposal but the World Company dropped out of that plan. Now they are back in the picture proposing to put the Post Office there.

One thing is certain. I don't think a 7.5 mill levy increase is going to fly with taxpayers. These folks better come up with a better plan and perhaps a sizeable contribution.

News_to_me 7 years, 11 months ago

The Marriott would move out, freeing up more parking. Trust me. A library at that sight would be much better than the PO.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 11 months ago

This might not be such a bad idea, but the only way that the library could move into the Simons mall is if they declare eminent domain and take over the entire building. There are already city offices there, and it's on city-owned land, anyway. Otherwise, it'll just be a mess trying to accommodate any other users of the property.

News_to_me 7 years, 11 months ago

The Simons family is intent on getting that albatross from around their neck. They'll do whatever it takes.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

How about we fill all the current bus routes with books on wheels, then people can read while they ride and we dont even need a library. Fiction could be on 6th street non fiction on Iowa street and the special interest sections on 3rd and 5th streets

J Good Good 7 years, 11 months ago

It is my understanding that the building was built on fill and the engineering is pretty iffy for all those heavy books.......