Archive for Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Area schools closed Wednesday due to snow

Listings found here

February 14, 2007, 2:54 a.m. Updated February 14, 2007, 6:33 a.m.

Several area schools have announced they are closed Wednesday due to winter weather:

¢ Basehor-Linwood schools.

¢ Tonganoxie schools.

¢ Oskaloosa schools.

¢ Perry-Lecompton schools.

¢ DVL forensics tournament held at McLouth.

If you have an announcement of a closing, e-mail <a href="mailto:editor@ljworld.com">editor@ljworld.com</a> with the subject line: WINTER WEATHER CLOSING.

Comments

countrygirl 7 years, 10 months ago

None of the other districts in the area have early dismissal every Wednesday like Lawrence. So they already have fewer days on their schedule, plus rural districts expect more snow days. They'll probably still be out before Lawrence.

lawrence_citizen 7 years, 10 months ago

Douglas County does an excellent job of getting out on the roads and getting them cleaned. You don't see Baldwin or Eudora on this list.

Godot 7 years, 10 months ago

The dateline on this article is 12:01AM Feburary 14, 2007.

I am posting a response 9:48PM on February 13, 2007.

No wonder some of us question the credibility of the press.

myunitedstatesofWHATEVA 7 years, 10 months ago

honestly tongie oskie and basehor ALWAYS get snow days.. just because those kids live out on farms doesnt mean they cant get up a little bit earlier to get to school.. seriously those kids are gonna be in school til july if they keep getting this many snow days

likes_avocados 7 years, 10 months ago

there are kids who live in rural parts of lawrence that still have to get up and go to school. i say why not give lawrence another pointless snowday we're only harming our childrens brains. no biggie

KansasKel 7 years, 10 months ago

Were all of you that are griping about the kids being out of school for snow days a bunch of nerds who loved school? I've never met a kid who didn't love a snow day - don't you remember what that was like as a kid, getting that bonus day off? (Sometimes it was a bonus week off for me, cuz it snowed more back then LOL and I lived in the country!)

As someone whose children attended the Perry Lecompton school district for several years - I wouldn't want them on a bus with the roads so slick and the temps so low!

yellowhouse 7 years, 10 months ago

WOW kids dont you just wish you lived here then for sure Lawrence would have another free day!

another_concerned_parent 7 years, 10 months ago

Just for your information, Lawrence schools start a few days before Perry-Lecompton schools and get out about a week before them. Personally, I would not want my children on a bus driving on the country roads either. Douglas County is responsible for the roads in Lecompton and they have done a fabulous job in my opinion. I know that Jefferson County received more snow than Douglas and had more problems with drifting.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 10 months ago

ok I am not sure I agree with the statement that dg. county does a good job on their streets, or at least lawrence. My street was not even treated until early ths am, people have been slipping and sliding try to get going and turning left when they want to go right. i do not care if the kids had school but with this cold and so many kids having to walk, at least around my house, seems a little dangerous. Should have had school yesterday so the adults could go play on the hill and let the kids out today so they could stay home and be warm.

caveatguy 7 years, 10 months ago

Godot (at 9:49 last night): "No wonder some of us question the credibility of the press" . Thank God, Godot, that we don't judge your credibility based upon some procedure's computer time stamping. Instead we have your real words, which is usually quite enough to judge on.

pimp11 7 years, 10 months ago

Eudora has early dismissal on second wednesday of every month.......Like how everyone on here thinks they know everything.

countrygirl 7 years, 10 months ago

My son goes to school in Eudora, so I'm well that they're out early once a month. But that sure beats every week.

ksmoderate 7 years, 10 months ago

So it's OK to cancel a forensics tourney, but BY GOD there were still basketball games last night!

Excellent priorities!

mom_of_three 7 years, 10 months ago

When I was in school and lived in a rural area, if the city kids could get to school, school was held. If you were a country kid and could make it in, more power to you. If the buses could get through and were running late, it was okay. We didn't have many snow days.

whatintheworld 7 years, 10 months ago

I have some very good advice for many of you "GET A LIFE", get on PROZAC. Some of you just like to COMPLAIN about anything and EVERYTHING!! Snow Days are really trivial and HEY the KIDS enjoy them. Their brains are not going to rot and guess what? Life happens...Snow happens and the KIDS love it. Yes, they could have probably went yesterday, but why sweat the small stuff. One needs a drink just to scroll through all of the negative comments on this subject. Life is short....BE HAPPY!!!

tweetybird2 7 years, 10 months ago

Another concerened parent: There are three different governments responsible for the roads in and around Lecompton. Douglas County, Lecompton Township and City of Lecompton. Douglas County is only responsible for the main roads.

livinthedream 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree that a lot of people either THINK they know everything on this forum and just need to quit complaining.
My drive to Lawrence from Baldwin yesterday AM was slow but I completely saw the reason why school was cancelled and agreed with the descision. I also want to say "Thanks" to Douglas County for the roads yesterday. As I drove home last night and the road crews were still out, I was very thankful to live in Douglas County.

weedwacker 7 years, 10 months ago

whatintheworld, very well put. There are much bigger things to be all worked up about and complain about. I'm glad we don't have the 12 feet of snow that others in the US are dealing with, could you imagine what Lawrence or even Kansas citizens would do?? It would be a total disaster!

hockmano 7 years, 10 months ago

Who cares! Public school bites anyways.Quit leaving your child's education up to strangers and teach them yourselves.

Tamaralaug 7 years, 10 months ago

"whatintheworld" - that is exactly what I was thinking!