Archive for Thursday, February 1, 2007

Longtime mail carrier identified as victim of vehicle-pedestrian accident

Helicopter ambulance takes victim from the scene

February 1, 2007, 10:42 a.m. Updated February 1, 2007, 3:17 p.m.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical crews work to transport a person who was struck by a vehicle near 7th and New Hampshire streets on Thursday morning.

A mail carrier was taken to the hospital by helicopter following a vehicle-pedestrian accident this morning.

The accident happened around 10:15 a.m. at the intersection of Seventh and New Hampshire streets, on the north side of the Borders book store.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Paul Fellers said that a red Chevrolet truck was turning east onto Seventh Street when the truck struck a male postal worker who was crossing. Both were southbound on New Hampshire Street. The postal worker had the right-of-way, Fellers said.

The victim was identified as Jerry Totten, 56, a longtime employee for the Lawrence Post Office. Officials said he was Lawrence's only walking postman - never getting into a truck to deliver mail, instead walkling his downtown beat every day.

Totten was taken to Buford M. Watson Jr. Park at Sixth and Kentucky streets, where the helicopter landed to then fly to Kansas City for medical treatment for severe injuries. He was listed in stable condition at the intensive care unit of KU Hospital.

More details as they develop.

Comments

galfromku 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh. so sad.... prayers and warm wishes for he and his family... lets just hope the posts here reflect nice things and don't get into blood slinging about stop lights, round abouts and all the other things people do on here just to start commotion. I hope everyone can all play nice today. (Think of the family... )

Rae Smith Evans 7 years, 10 months ago

Get Well Jerry!! Another Postal service family is praying for you!

bastet 7 years, 10 months ago

I didn't even need to hear the details before I knew exactly what had happened. That corner is absolutely dangerous. Drivers turning east on 7th never yield to pedestrians. I've been nearly run over there myself. The same problem happens with people turning north on to New Hampshire.

He's a really nice man and great postal worker. I hope we see him up and about downtown soon.

sourpuss 7 years, 10 months ago

I've nearly been hit at that intersection as well. Drivers just don't look, especially when turning! Do they have the driver in custody or did he leave the scene? I know they identified the vehicle, but that doesn't mean they have him.

More info please, and speedy recovery for Jerry.

Question: Can the driver be charged with a federal crime? It is against federal law to disrupt mail service or tamper with an employee...

Centrist 7 years, 10 months ago

People run the red light there to turn east too - a lot!!

Best wishes to Jerry, whom I've seen many times on Mass St. I hope he's gonna be OK.

Laura Watkins 7 years, 10 months ago

yeah i agree, that intersection is dangerous. i don't know if it's because people are driving too fast on new hampshire or if borders blocks their sight, but i've parked in the borders lot and tried to cross the street at that intersection and almost been hit (whether i'm going north-south or east-west) several times.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

He is conscious, has been upgraded to serious from critical, and remembers everything that happened.

This is good news!

News_to_me 7 years, 10 months ago

He is stable, sitting up and recognized his wife. However, he doesn't remember names of co-workers. That may be a good thing. He'll be in the hospital a couple of days. All of us at the Post Office are relieved. It was a tough day. Thanks for your support and prayers.

adky 7 years, 10 months ago

Hope the reports of his improving condition are true.

LPD are too busy looking for guns illegally (not illegal guns!) in that block, to bother issuing failure to yield to pedestrian citations. We all know it happens, but LPD seem not to have noticed.

Jack Hope III 7 years, 10 months ago

I wish they'd just remove the lights and put in a four way stop. I think people rush through that intersection without looking for pedestrians.

Best wishes to the mailperson, and to the person driving. Accidents like that are horrible.

dthroat 7 years, 10 months ago

First off - I hope for a speedy recovery and the best. Don't know the man personally, but he always was nice when I encountered him on his route.

Sandrat - You have got to be kidding!!!! 4 way stops in this town are more dangerous than roundabouts. Even though they have been in existence for every, a very lot of people cannot seem to figure them out. It seems like people are indimidated to drive even though they might have the right of way, and I think Peds are more at risk because of the drivers watching the other drivers instead of people walking. Lights are by far safer for everyone.

Drivers just need to pay attention to driving wherever they are.

Sigmund 7 years, 10 months ago

Man oh man. I hope he has a very "speedy" recovery.

shirinisb 7 years, 10 months ago

The residents of Lawrence generally lack the ability to yield to pedestrians. I don't understand why the police in this town don't fix it. I too, much like many people who walk a lot of almost been hit on many occasions. It pisses me off when I see 3 of them talking to each other in the Hobby Lobby parkinglot meanwhile dipsticks are using their vehicles as lethal weapons.

This postal worker always puts a smile on my face. I hope the jerk that did this gets the book thrown at them, like that means anything in Douglas County anymore.

I want to spit this story makes me so upset.

sistersecrecy 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey all, I live in TN and just got the news. I wanted to say that Jerry was like another father to me growing up. He and my dad were and still are best of friends. Joda, Jerry, I love you guys so much still and you're in my heart and prayers, now and forever. Jerry's so strong. I know he's gonna be alright. Thankyou for all you have done for my family. I'm sending you my best :) love, Carissa Schmidt