Archive for Thursday, December 27, 2007

Special prosecutor requested in sex case

District attorney represented suspect on charges in 2000

December 27, 2007

Douglas County D.A. asks for special prosecutor

Douglas County's district attorney asks for a special prosecutor in a Lawrence indecent solicitation of a child case. Enlarge video

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson has asked that a special prosecutor take over a Lawrence child-solicitation case.

That's because Branson represented the defendant, Stephen R. Stout, in 2000, four years before Branson was elected the county's top prosecutor.

During a brief court appearance Wednesday, an assistant in Branson's office told the judge that the district attorney had asked Jefferson County Attorney Mike Hayes to take the case.

According to court records, Branson represented Stout, 47, in a Douglas County case in which he was accused of exposing himself to five women. Stout was granted diversion in that case.

Douglas County District Judge Michael Malone on Wednesday appointed Lawrence attorney J.C. Gilroy to defend Stout on last week's charges of indecent solicitation of a child and fleeing or eluding police.

Police and prosecutors accuse Stout of trying to lure a 13-year-old Lawrence girl and West Junior High School student into a vehicle Thursday after school. Prosecutors also have said three other West students came forward the same day and accused a man who matches Stout's description of exposing himself while in a vehicle in the parking lot.

When he was arrested, Stout told police he was from Parks, Ark. Stout was wanted for probation violation on a 2006 misdemeanor sexual misconduct conviction in Clay County, Mo., and Missouri court records also listed a Kansas address for Stout, in Olathe.

If convicted in Douglas County, Stout faces 31 months to 136 months in prison for the aggravated indecent solicitation of a child charge and five months to 17 months on the fleeing and eluding police charge.

Malone scheduled Stout's next court appearance for 2 p.m. Wednesday.

- 6News anchor/reporter Janet Reid contributed information to this report.

Comments

Oddball 6 years, 3 months ago

Informed, I apologize for the lack of clarity in my last comment. I was trying to make a point that even tho M Hayes isn't one of my favorite people, he's definitely NOT in the same class as Stout (ie pervert), contrary to what enforcer implied in her post right before yours. I believe I've definitely muddied this up enough for now ;)

Nonsense 6 years, 3 months ago

He got him a diversion the article states. I don't understand how anyone could represent this guy, Branson should feel ashamed, constitution and all!

denak 6 years, 3 months ago

So, did Branson get him off on the previous charges? OR was he convicted and sent to jail and now he is back out?

Just curious.

Dena

americorps 6 years, 3 months ago

informed,

that is a common tactic, when someone says the cycles of violence repeat, is not making excuses for the guilty.

It is saying that we as a society have failed as well by doing little or nothing to help break the cycle. It is assigning blame to you and me,. but NOT taking any blame away from the criminal.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 3 months ago

bondmen says... "Too many child abuse victims grow up to repeat their sorry trauma. He wasn't responsible for the abuse he received as a child but now he's an adult and must suffer the consequences."

So, are you saying that it's not his fault? He abuses because he was abused? What proof/knowledge do you have that he was abused?

What about personal responsibility? Sorry, I don't buy the whole "victim" mentality that says he can't help it.

bondmen 6 years, 3 months ago

Stout can spout his trout without a pout no doubt; in his cell he can tell about the hell and the smell being a well; for some man with a plan in the can - oh damn!

americorps 6 years, 3 months ago

enforcer (Kathy Gragg) says: Oh Erin stop twisting things I did not say he was a sex offender; I said he was no better. Call your Mother or something.

Kathy were you dropped on your head as a child or what? There has to be some reason you are mean, stupid and a habitual liar.

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry Enforcer, do I know you? IBetter yet, do you know me? Your name isn't ringing a bell, but I admit I am lousy with names. In any case, 'm not trying to get on your evil side, just making a point.

What would my mother have to do with this conversation? I'm totally confused!

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 3 months ago

I'll clarify: the world is not run by crazy people who are incapable of intelligent, rational, logical thought; however, the world may be largely run by people who, much of the time, choose not to indulge in intelligent, rational, logical thought, which behavior may seem to many or most as "crazy."

Kathy Gragg 6 years, 3 months ago

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

enforcer (Kathy Gragg) says:

I don't like Mike Hayes, he is no better than the accused.

Am I missing something? Has Mike Hayes been charged with indecent solicitation of a child? It's one thing to "not like" someone--entirely another to call them a criminal.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 3 months ago

Because the world is not run by crazy people.

I disagree with you there.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 3 months ago

"People like this should be executed within 5 days of conviction."

But they won't ever be. Because the world is not run by crazy people.

christie 6 years, 3 months ago

Ten bucks says this guy will kidnap, rape, and murder an innocent child before he is through. People like this should be executed within 5 days of conviction.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 3 months ago

Oddball, I'm not calling Hayes a perv. I'm calling Stout a perv. Just the small amount of criminal history given about Stout indicates this.

Oddball 6 years, 3 months ago

Mike Hayes is hard and cold, and has no sympathy in him. I don't care for him, frankly he intimidates me. But he's not a pervert, and I don't have to like him to have full confidence in him getting a conviction.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 3 months ago

This guy is a habitual perv. Why does he keep avoiding jail time. Let him see what it's like to be Bubba's girlfriend.

Kathy Gragg 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't like Mike Hayes, he is no better than the accused.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 3 months ago

With any luck his hide won't be the only thing nailed to the wall!

Oddball 6 years, 3 months ago

Stout doesn't stand a chance with Hayes prosecuting. Hayes will nail his hide to the wall.