Archive for Friday, December 21, 2007

Stolen sheriff’s department truck found in KCMO

Theft occurred after officer left vehicle warming up

December 21, 2007, 9:30 a.m. Updated December 21, 2007, 11:34 a.m.

An unmarked Douglas County Sheriff's pickup truck that was stolen this morning from an officer's home has been found in Kansas City, Mo.

Kansas City, Mo., police notified Douglas County that the abandoned truck was discovered late this morning on Prospect Avenue.

The 2000 Ford F-150 dark blue pickup truck with an extended cab was taken at 7:25 a.m. There were two loaded weapons in the truck, sheriff's Lt. Kari Wempe said. Wempe said she hadn't heard whether the weapons were in the truck when it was found by police.

Apparently the truck was taken after the officer, who lives in south central Douglas County, went outside this morning, started his truck and then left it while it warmed up, Wempe said. When he returned five minutes later, the truck was gone, she said.

"This does serve as a good reminder to the general public that they need to stay with their vehicles when they are warming their vehicles up," Wempe said. "These things can happen in the blink of an eye."

Comments

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

Is it not illegal to start your car and leave it unattended?

d_prowess 7 years ago

Stealing is bad, but this is a little funny...

dinglesmith 7 years ago

... and not illegal to keep loaded weapons unattended and, I assume, unsecured?

woxy 7 years ago

The loaded weapons make it a little less funny.

ksdivakat 7 years ago

THis is friggin hilarious! Only in lawrence america!!!! LOL

Ragingbear 7 years ago

That's some mighty fine police work there Lou.

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years ago

I hope they find the perp and all he gets for Christmas is 3 hots and a cot!

acg 7 years ago

I agree with woxy, here. I cracked up til I got to the part about the weapons. If this idiot/these idiots have no compunction about stealing a car right out of someone's driveway, what do you think they're willing to do with those guns? Still it's pretty funny, though.

Steve Jacob 7 years ago

That is right. It's funny until you read about the two loaded weapons. I hope he gets punished for it. Not so much for the truck then the weapons.

concernedparent 7 years ago

must have been why I saw 5 police cars sitting along k-10 extension this AM on my way to work.

Write2Know 7 years ago

Anybody checked the parking lots around Last Call for the stolen pickup?

gerbilsniper 7 years ago

so God forbid someone use these weapons to commit a crime and possibly kill someone. What type of liability would the Sheriff's department be on the hook for?

ontheotherhand 7 years ago

ksdivakat (Anonymous) says: THis is friggin hilarious! Only in lawrence america!!!! LOL

doc1 7 years ago

Who honestly hasn't done this? Its a simple mistake and he's out in the middle of the county. The police/Sheriff's don't ticket people for letting their cars warm up. Its a law that was made because of political pushing from insurance companies. It's not an enforced law. By the way, Northtown, please go back to your trailer park or try to get an education.

concernedparent 7 years ago

I'm sure everyone has done it, but probably not with two loaded weapons inside the vehicle. That kinda opens a different can of worms.

wysiwyg69 7 years ago

all I want for christmas is a glock and shotgun, thanks santa and maybe some handcuffs, you know,, for new years eve

alm77 7 years ago

Oh, man. And now, I'm assuming they have the police radio too, so they know if the Five-Oh are on the right track.

hujiko 7 years ago

this is stupid, because the sheriff didnt want to freeze, now someone could get iced.

good job, I hope he's no longer a sheriff after all this, I don't want this guy coming to my help if I ever need it.

marcdeveraux 7 years ago

this is fishy, it seems a little strange, most rural houses have fairly long driveways, this guy claims that someone drove by a country road with at least one other person,instantly stole the truck? seems a little odd to me.

ksdivakat 7 years ago

ontheotherhand (Anonymous) says: Wow, ks, your view on life must be really small if you think something like this only happens in Lawrence. Plus, the article states that the vehicle was stolen from south central Douglas County, which would not make it Lawrence. Perhaps we need to take a geography class?

either that, or perhaps you should get all facts before you speak! I happen to know who the sherrif is and he does in fact live in lawrence......as i stated earlier...only in lawrence america!!!

Bone777 7 years ago

This is not a guy getting his car and guns stolen, this is an employee being negilent and having his employers vehicle and firearms stolen.

Funny aside, he should probably get a desk job for this and have to pay for any damages to the vehicle and deal with the consequences of the gun theft, if and when something happens...

hawklet21 7 years ago

doc1, you took the words right out of my mouth! Northtown makes me dizzy...

ksdivakat 7 years ago

Sure do rameriz!! And a Merry Christmas to you too!!!!

Bone777 7 years ago

ksdivakat - I'll give you a blue ribbon, if you give the sheriff's name.

Too convienent to bolster your argument be saying you know him, he lives in Lawrence, blah, blah

Cause I think I know him and he lives out towards Clinton Lake.....

midwestmom 7 years ago

Okay...here goes. The Sheriff resides within the city limits of Lawrence. The Deputy who "lost" his truck does not. He lives in an unicorporated area of the county.

domino 7 years ago

The article says the truck was stolen from an officers home - not the sheriffs home, so where the sheriff lives is a moot point.

I don't actually know, but is it illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running in Douglas County? I know that is not a statewide law, but one left to the city/county. I know of many areas that it is legal to leave an unattended vehicle running so just asking.

In one community it is legal in, I know officers often leave their patrol vehicle running in their driveway while they stop home for their meal break. What they do is lock the vehicle, leave it running and have a second set of keys. In a rural setting, that would have been better than just leaving it unlocked, especially with the weapons inside. But by the same token, it does not say that the vehicle was or wasn't locked - guess we are all assuming it wasn't locked.

CoDrifter 7 years ago

I wonder what kind of smarts it takes to steal a truck and 2 guns and then drive them across state lines. Can you say Federal weapons violation. Hope they are found...

Then again I guess that the guns could have been left in Kansas.

booze_buds_03 7 years ago

As far as I know this was not against the law since the law does not apply to law enforcement, only to the ususal citizen. Not to mention the crime is maybee a 25 of 50 dollar ticket.

Kyle Miller 7 years ago

were the weapons department issue or personal? what other things might have been in the truck,...... case files? does the department have any policy on employees and take home vehicles? and finally, will this be investigated by an agency outside Douglas County? (you know in fairness)

Bitterfalls 7 years ago

But how much gas was left in it?

wontime73 7 years ago

The law in question is a city ordinance that is only enforceable in the city.

pace 7 years ago

I am not sure, but the law use to read that you couldn't leave a running car on a road, it didn't use to apply to your own car on private property. The locking of a running car is a smarter, i hope those weapons were found. A bad situation could be nasty.

Kaw Pickinton 7 years ago

When did they start putting trunks on F-150 pickup trucks? Were the guns in the bed of the truck?

otto 7 years ago

KAWRYAN - you need to lay off the crack, who said anything about a trunk?

domino 7 years ago

booze-buds - hate to burst your bubble, but a law is a law - it applies to law enforcement just as much as it does to anyone else.

jayhawk - there should never be any case files in an officers vehicle - in fact in this day and age, there are very few actual "paper" trails - it is all done on the computer with reports done there and saved on disc and, if necessary, transmitted via computer to other agencies such as KBI, FBI or whomever needs these reports. As far as who is investigating, most departments do not allow their own department to investigate anything involving someone in their own department. They normally go the to next "up the ladder" agency - ie - city would have county investigate, county would have KBI investigate, etc.

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

hope his 'one bullet' was still in his pocket!

surprised they didn't find that truck all stripped-out. and, yes, what about the radios, mobile terminal, etc. no mention of those.

yes, they've gone about as fur as they could go!

schula 7 years ago

Agnostick: Thanks for the song from Oklahoma! That is my all time favorite musical.

chromehearts 7 years ago

This happens to be, my dad. It bites that it happened to him. He rarely ever starts he vechile before he leaves for work. It maybe a city law that you can not leave your car running, but they don't live in the city limits. This is not something that is his fault, and he feels bad enough already. This is all chalked up to criminals, and how horrible and how they will do anything to get their "fix". That is why he does the job he does, so he can take out the good for nothing, low life people that they have become.

BlackVelvet 7 years ago

Smitty, I don't know what a remote starter would have to do with anything. (but that doesn't mean the law doesn't say exactly that) If you need to warm up your car, at least use a spare key and lock the vehicle while it's running and you're not in it.

NotASquishHead 7 years ago

MichaelJ- A remote starter would allow the vehicle to be started without a key. The devices have a cutoff switch that kills the engine if someone attempts to drive the vehicle without the keys. This is why there is an exemption for vehicles with remote starters...

The spare key would still be illegal as one could break the window and drive off.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years ago

Someone was waiting for him. This was not random. That's my guess.

doc1 7 years ago

Northtown your posts are confusing the heck out of everybody. What trailer park do you live in? To the other poeple why not just lay off the guy. It was a simple mistake. People are so quick to jump on someone for something so small, yet they probably do the same thing.

BlackVelvet 7 years ago

NotASquishHead...............I was not aware of that. Thanks for enlightening me. That makes sense now.

Charles L Bloss Jr 7 years ago

Everyone makes mistakes. This should serve as a lesson to all of us to not leave weapons in an open vehicle. I have seen lots of unattended running vehicles through the years, before concealed carry. Now it is even more important to be aware of where that firearm is, and who has access to it. Hopefully the firearms will be recovered before they are used to hurt someone. I am sure no one feels worse about this than the person that left the vehicle running. Thank you, Lynn

Justanopinion 7 years ago

I have a feeling this officer feels pretty bad and sitting here degrading him will not help.

I agree with the "we all make mistakes" concept and although this was a big one I am pretty sure that he already understands this.

Besides I believe no matter what the circumstances full coverage insurance covers a car being stolen so the insurance companies who lose money dont blame the owner. Should we? If they dont blame them then obviously this is a fairly blanket thing that occurs.

chromehearts 7 years ago

Thank you to all the readers out there who have heard of mistakes, and that are not being so hateful and rude. Seriously people, what if this was you! How would you feel right now. You people that are so hateful, I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry that all you have to do is down grade people. I bet many people have made big mistakes, and felt really bad for whatever it was. Please just leave this be, and continue on with the holidays, share the love and holiday spirit, not hate like the world is becoming.

kansasfire911 7 years ago

The Deputy will probably get a promotion out of this, from deputy to defective, I mean detective.

uwish1020 7 years ago

ok, so the guy made a mistake, can half of you say that you havent gone off half cocked and done something dumb before? ya turns out prolly not. POINT NUMBER 1!

point number 2: yall expect these officers to be at your every beckon call, situations ranging from a piece of toilet paper stuck in your ass, to a tree hugger loidering in front of your store; but yet when one mistake is made, the bandwagon is in full swing of judging them. do you honestly think that your opinion matters to any of them? no but everyone bitches, do you ever say thank you for a job well done? HELL NO! between all the protests by dirty little feet people, to the usage of curse words when a police officer is advising you to slow down...there is no gratitude in this city. Who in the heck do you think you people are? These officers put their life on the line day in and day out, and i happen to think that they deserve more than the rudeness that is being displayed in these blogs.

Point 3: All of these officers have family members who read these articles, seriously do you think that any of them want to read the slandering thoughts about their loved ones? Yall are a bunch of selfish, ungrateful, lawrence liberals. Next time you decide to make one of them the target of your sick jokes and comments, remember who you are and where you came from.....all you guys are pieces of lawrence's finest bleeding heart liberals, un willing to support the men and women that protect your butts everyday! you remember that when you want these officers to come rescue you from a slight fender bender or when a transient is panhandling in front of your business downtown.

LASTLY, OUR FINE SHERIFF LIVES IN CITY LIMITS. so the next time you want to fight that battle, you might want to check a phonebook:)