Archive for Thursday, December 20, 2007

Woman accused of hit-and-run seeks reduced charges

December 20, 2007

Woman accused of hit-and-run seeks reduced charges

A woman charged in Osage County with fleeing and attempting to elude police asks a judge to reduce the case to one charge of speeding. Enlarge video

Related document

Ramona Morgan motion ( .PDF )

A woman charged in Osage County with fleeing and attempting to elude police, as well as other traffic charges, asked a judge to reduce the case to one charge of speeding.

In a letter to Magistrate Jon Stephen Jones, Ramona Morgan also wrote that she fired her attorney, apparently because he couldn't get her bond reduced below $1 million.

"I have spent 99 days in jail. Please consider time served, probation and a $500 fine," Morgan, 48, wrote in the letter presented to Jones on Wednesday.

Morgan also is charged in Douglas County with two counts of reckless second-degree murder in the Sept. 11 hit-and-run deaths of two highway workers on U.S. Highway 59 near Pleasant Grove. Minutes after the incident south of Lawrence, law enforcement officers chased and stopped a truck in Osage County matching the description of the truck that hit the workers. Morgan, who was traveling with her 26-year-old daughter, allegedly was driving.

During a court appearance Wednesday, the magistrate refused to reduce the bond. County Attorney Brandon Jones, who is no relation to the magistrate, reiterated previous arguments he'd made against reducing the bond, including saying that Morgan was a danger to the community and that there was a high risk she would not show up for court if released.

"He says that every time I go to court. I don't appreciate that," Morgan said.

During an October court hearing, Magistrate Jones reduced Morgan's bond to $1 million from $2 million after listening to arguments from her attorney, Clinton Lee. Lee is the attorney Morgan said she fired.

Lee was not in the courtroom, having filed a motion to withdraw as Morgan's attorney. Magistrate Jones said he had already granted the motion.

Magistrate Jones told Morgan that the county attorney must decide whether he wants to reduce charges. Jones - the county attorney - said he would not reduce them.

At one point during the hearing, Morgan accused the court of being prejudiced against her because she was a woman from another state. She is from Washington state.

"Be careful what you say," Magistrate Jones told her.

Morgan said she needed three weeks to hire a new attorney. Magistrate Jones scheduled a hearing for 9 a.m. Jan. 10.

Once the Osage County case is disposed, Morgan's Douglas County case will be handled. Her bond in that case is $200,000.

Comments

Joe Hyde 7 years ago

Let's see now: She blows around a line of stopped vehicles, roars through a controlled highway repair zone at high speed, hits and kills two people, flees the scene, attempts to elude pursuing patrol officers and gets caught only after her tires are blown out by a spike strip.

And she wants the charges dropped to time served and a $500 fine for speeding.

Is this woman a laboratory specimen sociopath or is somebody managing to sneak some really, really good drugs into her cell?

wontime73 7 years ago

Well, if she is in lawrence they probably are some good drugs

ksdivakat 7 years ago

her bond in osage is 1 mill for eluding police but its 200k in douglas for murder???

ranger73 7 years ago

setting the table for an insanity plea...

OnlyTheOne 7 years ago

Aaaaa Riverrat that, the deaths, happened in Douglas County. Her charges in Osage County are considerably less; speeding, attempting to elude and some other (if I remember correctly) traffic infractions. Also you might want to remember all this is "alleged" innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

She shows no remorse whatsoever for what she did, so she deserves punishment. A normal person who had caused deaths would be devastated. I can't imagine what growing up with a mother like that would have been. I almost feel sorry for her daughter. Yes, she does deserve a fair trail, but I don't think they will have any trouble convicting her. There were lots of witnesses and evidence.

oldvet 7 years ago

"At one point during the hearing, Morgan accused the court of being prejudiced against her because she was a woman from another state."

No, Ramona, we're prejudiced against you because you are a murderer and we don't like them very much...

Chris Golledge 7 years ago

I don't see much real controversy here. This particular woman is some form of sociopath or at least falls at the far end of the antisocial spectrum. (As opposed to DP's assertion that she should somehow be used as an example of women in general.) Society is better off with her somewhat removed.

What gets me is the quote, "He says that every time I go to court. I don't appreciate that." a) Duh, he keeps saying that because it's still true. b) Well, I'm sure the people she killed didn't appreciate that much either. So sorry for the inconvenience there Morgan.

Wow, here's a thought: let's get her good and mad (by keeping her in jail) and then turn her loose and see what happens.

salad 7 years ago

"I think it all depends on who she hit and ran from. Also, this is telling on how heartless women can be."

Pretty transparent ploy....effing troll.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Osage County could reduce the charges, but the ones in Douglas COunty would not change.
Does she realize she is a murderer?

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Oh, she does. Read the letter. She wants out of Osage County so she can try to make bail in Douglas County.
yeah, yeah, innocent until proven guilty..... keep her in jail somewhere so she doesn't hurt someone else.

Kontum1972 7 years ago

HEY!....she is from out of town....DUH!

will this affect tourism if they find her guilty?

Newell_Post 7 years ago

According to previous posts on this board, she ran the flagman twice, once from each direction. If she ran the flagman once, I might be willing to believe it was an honest mistake with horrible consequences. But if she ran the flagman twice, I say depraved indifference to human life, Murder 2, game over, no bail.

Bud Stagg 7 years ago

sentence her to life picking up trash on the road, really really close to the road.

I_am_an_OG 7 years ago

What an idiot. She should get taken out back behind the shed and be done away with.

sissezz 7 years ago

99 days...write a letter after 99 years, then we'll think about it.

denak 7 years ago

Call me crazy but if I were writing a letter to this judge, I think I would show just a little bit more respect and refer to him as Judge Jones or Your Honor or some similar honorific. Even Mr. Jones would be better than "Judge". If someone is going to sentence you to prison when you are found guilty, don't you think you should take the time to find our his or her name. Observe the niceties. "To the Honorable Judge Jones" or "Judge Jones, Sir" goes along way in showing that you respect (or at least pretend to) his court and the laws in general.

Dena

Justanopinion 7 years ago

I did not know any of the victims of her actions however if my did my response to Ramona would be-

Murderer- I lost my husband for wanting a check for work he did. Would you consider the reduction of my humane love of others to sincere hatred for you? I have spent months in devestation. Please consider life in prision, remorse, and the civil law suit I will be filing against you. Please Murderer I still have to do everything alone every day. I cannot afford forgiveness.

The widow

(then alothough it does not coorespond to her letter I would add)

P.S. I hope you get medication for your sociopathy and that, once medicated, my husband and I's faces haunt your wake and sleep while you rot in prision.

But then again that is all just an opinion.

weloverollandgene 7 years ago

she does not have a bond set in dougles county yet. and i really dont care that he has spent 99 days in jail i have spent 99 days with my life turn apart along with my husbends family. when she spends the amount of time for the years she toke from my husbend and tys life. i really dont want the sob stories just want the bitch to pay for the crimes that this murderis bitch did and the pain that she brought to his family and i and tys family. Ron and Ty were both good hard working men that were taken from their familys.

Rollandsbro 7 years ago

with the lost me and my family has been though that phyco is lucky she not out justice will be done and my brother and ty will be in heavn on high smiling when that bi**h is burning in hell for what she has done and i finaly can rest at night knowing that he was not lost over a stupid women that think she hit a orange drum that was a human and if her daughter read this she better walk a tight rope because there are a lot of people who loved Rolland where she is at!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifecutshort 7 years ago

It breaks my heart that my nephew was taken so soon in life.It also breaks my heart that another young man lost his life.I did not know Tyrone but I'm sure he was a fine young man.They both had a full life ahead of them.Neither one of them got to enjoy being parents,they will no longer be able to enjoy being with friends and family.I know God says that we should not judge but,with so many witnesses It's hard for me to have any sympathy for Ramona or Sabrina Morgan.God knows what they did and exactly what happened.THEY WILL ANSWER TO GOD ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Until then I pray that they will have to answer for what they have done here on Earth.I will miss Ron very much!!!!!!!

baby_girl 7 years ago

This woman has some nerve. Asking for what she has. I've known people to spend more time in jail for speeding and she wants time served and a tiny fine?? How many people have to struggle to pay for tickets they received that they couldn't afford? How many people set up payment arrangements to pay off that debt? This woman will be lucky to get 99 years for the murder of 2 innocent people. How sad that this tragedy occurred. Not once did she speed through the workers, but twice...twice? For what? Was a reason ever given? Was she high or drunk? Wow... what about the daughter? There had to be more to this than we know. Why did she not call 911 or attempt to stop this psycho mother? This again is so sad. I hope the families are dealing with their losses. I know it's hard and it's even harder to see that this woman shows no remorse whatsoever. I won't wish punishment or pain on anyone else, but this woman deserves every punishment that will be bestowed upon her.

domino 7 years ago

With so many judges letting people off with just a hand slap, I'm glad to see this judge have the kahonas to keep this woman in jail. She needs to be held accountable for what she has done and 99 days and a fine is not even close to what that needs to be!!!!!

My sympathies continue to the families of these two young men. From all I've read, they were good people who are greatly missed. I will pray for comfort and peace for the families. I can't even imagine what they must be going thru.

nurseinkville 7 years ago

this woman doesn't even deserve the time of my opinion...i grew up with ty and to both families, i wish you peace during the holiday season and always. i hope that justice will be served.