Archive for Monday, December 10, 2007

AG acknowledges affair with former assistant

December 10, 2007

— Attorney General Paul Morrison acknowledged Sunday having an extramarital affair with a former staffer who now accuses him of sexual harassment and attempting to influence a federal case involving a political opponent.

Morrison said many of the claims made by the woman, Linda Carter, are "patently false." She filed a civil rights claim last month with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Carter detailed her allegations in a signed statement obtained by The Topeka Capital-Journal, which published a story about them and Morrison's acknowledgment of the affair in its Sunday editions. Morrison's office issued a separate statement Sunday.

Her allegations and Morrison's acknowledgment of the affair stunned the state's political system and cast a cloud over Morrison's future. Before the affair became public, even some Republicans assumed Morrison wouldn't face a serious challenge if he sought re-election in 2010.

Carter is the former director of administration for the Johnson County district attorney's office. Morrison was district attorney for 18 years before switching to the Democratic Party last year to successfully challenge GOP conservative Phill Kline for the attorney general's job. Johnson County Republicans then picked Kline to take over Morrison's old job.

During his successful campaign last year, Morrison faced allegations that he'd drunkenly propositioned another female employee in a bar in 1990. But two federal lawsuits arising from those claims were dismissed in 1992 and 1993, and the accusations backfired on Morrison's opponents.

According to Carter, her affair with Morrison began in September 2005 and lasted for about two years, as Morrison ran for attorney general and after he took office. Her account said they had sexual encounters in the Johnson County Courthouse and hotels in several Kansas cities and three states.

"Unfortunately, it is true, however, that I once had a consensual relationship with Mrs. Carter. And I profoundly regret that I did," Morrison said in a statement. "Many of the details Mrs. Carter dished to the newspaper regarding the nature of our relationship are absolutely false."

Kline spokesman Brian Burgess declined to comment, saying it would be premature because, "The situation is still developing."

Comments

KS 7 years, 1 month ago

Right on, Marion. They can just cross that bridge when they get to it.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

"The influence of the Adulterer is more disruptive to a society that any god fearing religious person is."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah right.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

I think the last war fought over adultery was the Battle of Troy.

If there are others, let me know.

KS 7 years, 1 month ago

headdoctor 7 years, 1 month ago

Hmm, lets see. Either Politician, Lawyer or both equals sleazebag. Is there really any reason for further debate in this area. The political blunders and those that are part of the affair fits under the above description. I think the affair argument only is between he and his wife. I am still trying to figure out how a 2 1/2 year affair is sexual harassment.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

I still prefer an AG who cheats on his wife with a staffer to one who cheats on the people with his vengeful god.

KS 7 years, 1 month ago

This man could not honor his vow to his wife, his association to his original political party, and now his pledge to his lover. He no doubt lied to many people, including his wife during this affair, and to me he is also a liar. He should be removed from office, but during this day and age of the Bill Clinton's, it won't happen. He is a loser. All the anti-Kline folks can be happy to have him on your side now. Glad to know he is now a Democrat. He deserves whatever he gets..

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

KS: I think politics to be an arena devoid of morals, and the only time they get brought up at all is either in political attacks, or used as a way to force people to behave in one particular fashion. At any rate, his having an affair or not has no relation on his ability to do his job correctly and effectively, and it is my belief that his predecessors whoring himself to religious interests certainly did that.

In the future, though, you should probably rely on more than a single sentence on one particular topic before launching off on a claim that I have very little moral values. Certainly I hold myself to a higher standard than any politician.

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

I wish some one in that office cared about crime. Conservatives are obsessed with sex and liberals with hypocrisy, No one cares consumer fraud and theft is running wild though both the streets and through the institutions. Who is losing, people who only worked hard and thought there were laws. Billions stolen and we can't get past body parts. Id theft, corporate scams with a congress and senate legalizing financial rape. Our money is not safe in our bank accounts, our homes aren't safe from mortgage scams, our credit cards suddenly change to 32%. The elderly, the poor, the honest, are having the equity and pensions of their life work turned into plums for the gangsters.

Good consumer laws go dormant for lack of enforcement, Impotence and disinterest lead the police, the attorneys and the judicial system, It is literally too much work, too hard,

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Dolly: Well, I have to hand it to you, you've precluded any chance of us going anywhere with the existing conversation. I had to chuckle at the notion of cherry-picking, though, especially as I encouraged you to add to the conversation with any other instances that you knew of.

You, then, if you noticed, just reinforced my joke about Troy. If you look at a historic map, I think it would be apparent that the most likely reason for the Greek destruction of Troy was to gain control of the sea routes in that particular section of the world. I suppose adultery probably provided an understandable excuse for the simple folk of the region to provide their backing.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

KS: I'd like to point out to you that I had nothing to do with your post being pulled. Feel free to continue to candidly express your opinions towards me, even those about me. I do still encourage you not to rush to judgment, however.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

"There's a difference between being educated and miseducated."

True, but that can go in any direction that you want it to.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

The rule of law might be a European invention, I haven't studied the phenomena in any depth. Sadly, with the rule of law comes unfortunate side effects, such as lawyers. Or, rather, with lawyers comes unfortunate side effects, such as corrupt lawyers.

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

logicsound....I'm sure Morrison told Carter that it was ok to let her boss (Kline) know that he wanted this information...I'm sure there was nothing sneaky about it.

BigDog 7 years, 1 month ago

Yesterday's Topeka Capital Journal has a lot more detail of this whole situation.

oldgoof 7 years, 1 month ago

Jonas, I for one believe your 7:04 post to be dead-on-spot-accurate as to my views, as well as your subsequent posts.

The noxious lies and political distortions of Kline are legend.....and it will take one heck of a lot more than an affair for Morrison to even be in the same game league of mistruth telling. And not to condone his conduct, but I agree with others that wonder if she has any grounds to complain, either in law or in person.

63BC 7 years, 1 month ago

"She contends Morrison pressured her - unsuccessfully - to write letters for former employees who were dismissed by Kline after those employees filed a federal lawsuit. She also alleges Morrison sought sensitive information about Kline's activities, including those related to abortion."

If proven, and they have not yet been, but if proven these allegations constitute a severe breach of legal ethics.

Witness tampering and interfering with ongoing criminal investigations plus civil procedures is serious serious stuff.

Look past the tawdry details to these accusations.

Lawyers have been disbarred for less.

oldgoof 7 years, 1 month ago

I am getting confused about residency around here however...

We have a Johnson County DA, who is obligated to be resident of Johnson County who lives in Topeka. We have an AG who used to live in Johnson County who has a Lawrence love-shack. Does anyone know if the AG's wife resides with him in Topeka?

Lawrence Economic Development = Love Shack City Maybe the city commission should grant TIF financing for this expansion of residential base. Think of all the Joco-Topeka frolicking that could be developed here.

oldgoof 7 years, 1 month ago

Or maybe this is one of the target demographics for the proposed Oread Hotel.

"Dollypawpaw (Anonymous) says:

You've been marginalized jonas."

Could've fooled me. If you mean that your pointless statements and false representations leave little recourse but to move on, then yes, you're probably right.

"Anyone that believes that religion came before adultery is fooling themselves."

Kindly point out where I gave any indication that such was the case. Here's a hint: you can't because you just made that up.

"It was a war over women. Why do you think Trojan, was used to name a condom?"

Because marketing advertisers thought the story was interesting, I suppose. Are you saying that a 21st century marketing maneuver somehow has an effect or confirmation on the reasons behind a war fought thousands of years ago? Your perception of causality is interesting, to say the least.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

And now that I'm thinking about it, I think the guys named their condoms Trojans after the horse, slipping past tight defenses with a sneak attack and penetrating deep into the conquest territory. It certainly makes more allegorical sense.

. . . I wonder if this post is going to get pulled.

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

"By the way, it's called mythology for a reason. You clearly put too much faith in the superstitious writings of ancient cultures. But then, we probably all knew that already, didn't we." Jonas

And Jonas knocks it outta the park!! I love it! Everytime that dollyrighthinkerpawpaw twit opens his mouth, someone smacks him upside the head with truth and logic. How does it feel, dolly, to be so wrong all of the time?

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

well if it does get pulled jonas-i for one am glad i had a chance to read it! great stuff!

and, i concur with your postings about this topic.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

kozakid: That is my opinion of Kline. You certainly don't have to share it, should you not wish to.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh, please! Like Democrats have a monopoly on infidelity? Revisionist history!! Just like the chief Clinton witch hunter. Was it Luger or that other scmuck from Indiana. Beatin' away at Clinton and then it comes out that he has a 12 year old son with the "other" woman and all the while spoutin' that family values crap as if it meant something in his reality. Where does that boy spend the holidays? What does he do on Fathers Day? Oh, then there's the guy who replaced Newt that, when the news of his affair surfaced, he resigned saying the Prez should do the same. Like that wasn't a set up and like another half of congress, just an many of them Republicans, should fees up to their shenanigans, too. You can't look past all that. And if you do, it must be nice to think like Pollyanna.

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

Reporters can be "on call" when breaking news hits

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 1 month ago

I thought it was sort of a hoot that Morrison says he's trying to patch things up with the missus and then tatoos his mistress' initials down in his groin. If that's somewhere where she'd never think to look, maybe that's why he's out looking for a little action on the side.

Of course if she did see the initials he could always tell her it was a tailor's mark for "low crotch".

ralphralph 7 years, 1 month ago

So, he's not just a political whore, but a literal one as well.

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

What could a LJW reporter have done to add to the TCJ article yesterday? Little or nothing. It was lengthy and quite detailed, with no particular local reporting angle.

No local reporting angle??? Do you live in Kansas?

Exactly why when I want to know something I won't be looking for it in the LJW first!

webmocker 7 years, 1 month ago

Related trivia: Linda Carter was once Wonder Woman! (I think she spelled her name with a "y" back in the day.)

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 1 month ago

Goof, you may have something on this target market for the Oread. They could always say they had car trouble on the way home to either Topeka, or KC and say they had to pull off in Lawrence to have someone look under the hood (nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more). Hourly rates and several rentals on the same room means a thriving business.

Godot 7 years, 1 month ago

Check out www.kcstar.com for more on this sordid affair. Unlike the JW, that news organization is treating this issue as the extremely important story it is. There is even an editorial apologizing for having made light of Morrison's sexual harrassment lawsuit in 1990, and for having endorsed Morrison for AG. Another editorial calls for Morrison to resign.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 1 month ago

If you think it's cold outside, I'm betting you could hang meat in Morrison's living room and the reason Joyce has a cleaver ain't for carving turkey. Momma, momma, momma, two scorned women at the same time. His political foes will seem tame compared to what these gals will do to him.

toefungus 7 years, 1 month ago

Send Bonnie Lowe over to Topeka and have her issue a statement of support for Morrison. After all, of all people, she understands.

Laura Watkins 7 years, 1 month ago

morrison's actions have nothing to do with kline. the fact that he made some very bad choices doesn't mean that kline was the better candidate. kline has still violated people's right to privacy and campaign finance laws, etc. i'm disappointed in paul morrison but i'm still glad he's our AG over phill.

justthefacts 7 years, 1 month ago

Unless the affair resulted in a derliction of official duties, it should (IMO) make little impact upon the future of the AG's office holding. On the other hand, if any official mis-uses power for personal gain, of any kind (not just monetary) that undermines the system and should be dealt with seriously.

What I do find more then a little "curious" is the aforementioned burying of this story by LJW. One has to wonder if the paper would not have put this on the front page had the person involved been someone else or of another party? Just ask yourself, if the same facts were made public regarding any of the past 3 AG's, would it have merited front page treatment? I don't pretend to know journalistic ethics, but it does appear that the press and some reporters tout a story or refrain from covering it based largely upon personal preferences or affiliations. And then has the gall to hold other professionals to higher standards.

salad 7 years, 1 month ago

"I finally located a picture of this Carter woman and at least Morrison has better taste than Clinton did with the tubby little intern."

No kidding!!! I was so totally disappointed in Clinton for having SUCH bad taste in women. I mean, I thought he idolized JFK......couldn't he at least have cheated on the ice queen with someone as hot as Marilynn? And now Morrison! What is with these guys!!! They must all have fun-house mirrors in their houses that make them think they still got it.

janeyb 7 years, 1 month ago

Agree with Agnostick that going to the polls means choosing between the lesser of two scumbags. I fail to see however how a two year affair ends up with a harassment charge. Linda Carter (aka Wonder Woman) made her choice knowing he was married, and now she is a woman scorned. Didn't Kansas have another attorney general who did an excellent job for Kansas, but dug the women a little too much in his personal life? Kline was very one-note and sucked as Attorney General. The consumer protection devision was pretty much abandoned under Kline, and women's private medical histories became his playground. Plus there was the hiring of the nephew on probation for a drug charge as his personal driver, renting the little storage shed behind his home to his campaign for thousands of dollars a month, and trolling the church community for only the wealthiest of Christians. He didn't want to waste his time or his waistline on poor Christians. Some of the coverage on the Morrison issue almost sounded like Wonder Woman now has a crush on Kline. May she always falls for her leading man.

manbearpig 7 years, 1 month ago

At first I wasn't sure how I felt about this in terms of Morrison being fit to remain in office.

After just a little thought, I am adamant that he should resign, just as Clinton should have (for the same reason, although Clinton's transgression was worse). Morrison did not have an affair with the waitress down the street. He was an elected official in Johnson County and he had an affair with a person who was in his employ. This was a violation of his duties to maintain a professional work environment and is certainly a violation of the public trust.

If he had just diddled some random woman, then I would tend to agree with a lot of people that this is a personal matter, but he dipped into the company pool, and as the boss, that's a huge violation of professional ethics.

Please don't interpret this as support for Phill Kline's former candidacy. It is simply a critique on what exactly it is that Morrison did wrong.

I'm calling for him to resign now! (for what that matters).

Godot 7 years, 1 month ago

Quoting an anonymous post from the Wichita Eagle:

"I sure hope Kline had the furniture cleaned after he took office."

LOL!

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

Unless I read incorrectly ....Carter basically says Morrison asked her for the dirt on Kline ( with whom whe was employed by)......does anyone see the WRONG in that?

jmadison 7 years, 1 month ago

According to the Topeka Cap Journal article, Morrison was having nooky while on the job, ie, the taxpayers' dime. In the private sector he would be gone.

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

Ag....maybe she saw the harassment when she realized the affair was to "get dirt"!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 1 month ago

HAHAHA, Koz. You are calling Jonas unedacated? Too much! R O F L M A O!! And this state is full of uneducated people who voted Klines lame @$$ out last year!! I love it when idiots start talking about who is uneducated!!

chet_larock 7 years, 1 month ago

"As recently as 2006, Rothschild served as president of a liberal group in Topeka. That group advocates liberal positions on a large number of issues. It's a blatant conflict of interest for Rothschild to report on those same issues."

koza, so what? he reports the stories and his facts are straight. i think scene asked you to post some examples of his "bias". can you?

so

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

omg......chet......he reports BIASED facts.....not all the facts!

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

koza, sorry i stepped on your toes.....but that comment hacked me off!!!!!

adastra 7 years, 1 month ago

Evidently, Senator Hensley today said the same thing as the Governor, that the AG should resign if charges are proven.

As far as Wonder Woman goes, I would have to wear my Kevlar vest.

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

Ag - Paul Morrison....correct me if i'm wrong....is ultmately her boss??!!!

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

Ag- I thought we cleared the sexual harrasment thing up??? If they do have an employer/employee relationship and Morrison, in fact, asked Carter to "dig up dirt" or Kline that could be considered sexual harrasment. Remember she thought for many months he was gonna leave his wife for her. I can hear it now....."you get this informantion for me and we'll be together"

Godot 7 years, 1 month ago

Kozakid wrote: "Adultery is a class C misdemeanor in the state of Kansas. In other words, Morrison, the chief law enforcement officer in Kansas, admitted that he is a law-breaker."

Yes, but, we must realize it is was a purely technical violation.

Godot 7 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to know why Carter quit her job in Kline's office.

Laura Watkins 7 years, 1 month ago

kozakid (Anonymous) says:

travolta:

" kline has still violated people's right to privacy and campaign finance laws, etc."

When did Kline ever violated the "people's right to privacy." As far as campaign finance laws, Gov. Sebelius was fined for the same offense that Kline was. It was a minor offense.

ummmm, do you not remember when phill kline demanded medical records from abortion clinics? or do you just have selective memory?

let's look at the other nutso stuff he's done: http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2007/10/joco-da-files-c.html

yes....clearly a better candidate for attorney general. not to mention the fact that he would hire a RELATIVE....who is a FELON...to work for him. great guy!

Newell_Post 7 years, 1 month ago

If he cheated on his wife, that is sleazy but a private matter between them. However, if he truly sexually harrased a subordinate while on the job, that is grounds for removal.

Amy Heeter 7 years, 1 month ago

Don't see what Kline's history has to do with any of this. It is all on record and Kline has paid his dues. Karma is a beeotch for the AG though now isn't it.

salad 7 years, 1 month ago

""I can see why he is for abortions. One never knows when an Adulter will need to arrange for an abortion."- dolly

I'd cry if I weren't laughing so hard at your commenthilarious!!"

Seriously? I found it....lacking. Certainly not very clever or witty. I think there's a better joke in here somewhere, but calling Dollys comment "hilarious" is like giving the slow kid a certificate for participating.

allateup 7 years, 1 month ago

How about the fact that Rothschild din't write THIS article but has written a lot of articles that are not very favorable about Phill Kline???

fetch 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh, I get it. Kozakid is that old reporter who had the handle Armenius. I thought he got booted.

And he is busting Rothchild's chops because he is active in his church?

Rich.

Hey, I'm a Methodist. My church takes positions. I guess that means I can't be a reporter. (Whew!)

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 1 month ago

Kozaminiusfernkid, what does the American Dental Association have to say about Morrison's exploits?

Please post a link!

ndmoderate 7 years, 1 month ago

Anyone want to place bets on how long Arminius lasts this time?

fetch 7 years, 1 month ago

kozakid: Are you a leader in your church and expected to support those positions more so than the rank-and-file membership?

I am not but say that I was. No difference in my mind.

Does the lay leader of my church run around and feel obliged by that office to personally advocate the views either developed by the over-arching church, or by my congregation? I think not. I don't even assume officers necessarily agree with such group positions. I certainly don't agree with all of them.

These people are an leader of an organization, that has a collective process to identify issues and make statements. These leaders are not 'bound' to have these positions, except to witness them, report them if you will, as being from their congregation, when they go up the chain.

Your analysis is very faulty on this issue.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Et al. I don't think the timing makes sense on kozakid being Ferdinand/Arminius. I'm almost positive that there have been other incarnations of Groen since September. To confirm my hypothesis, I ran a find this check on the word Clinton, and kozakid wasn't one of the posters who brought Clinton up. There's been a whole thread. I honestly don't think Groen would have been biologically capable of making it this far without having done such.

So, I think, kozakid does not equal Arminius. Margin of error exists.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

kozakid: I'm quite educated. This is simple fact.

Whether I've learned the right things, that's certainly up for question and suggestion.

fetch 7 years, 1 month ago

Koza: "However, a leader of the church would be expected to advocate those views."

Oh, yea, I guess we don't kick people out of my church over abortion doctrine, if that is what you mean. Trying to compare Catholic church to other churches might be entertaining, but it hardly proves your point, in fact it disproves it.

And I guess civil discourse is not included in your personal ethics. Insults seem to be a penny a dozen.

I was giving you the benefit of a doubt. I should have listened to others. Lesson learned.

fetch 7 years, 1 month ago

Koza: "The Catholic Church does not kick out members if they disagree with the church's stand on abortion. If it did, Ted Kennedy. John Kerry, Dick Durbin, and many other Catholics would have been kicked out of the church long ago."

Yes, I overstated. I should have said "withhold the sacrements from" But yes, I personally know of people who have been directly made 'very unwelcome from remaining' a member of certain parishs because of this singular issue. I don't think you can say that about my church, which is my point exactly.

And your post shows I am correct about your lack of civil discourse. Whoever you are.

LawSW 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh, give me a break. They had sex everywhere on multiple ocassions and THAT'S sexual harrassment? Oh, pleeeeeeeeeaaase! He is still the best public servant this state has ever seen--he's tough on crime and that's what matters.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 1 month ago

I think it's sort of bogus to complain about Morrison porking his cutey during office hours. Like he's the first government bureaucrat to screw around during office hours.

Let's see, a government bureaucrat could spend his time screwing the taxpayer(and isn't that what you folks on the right think they do?) or screwing the blond honey down the hall.

Call me silly, but I'm opting for the blond honey. First, better her than us, and secondly, when he does turn his attentions to us, he'll be in a better mood.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

spywell: The only thing worse than a country filled with lawyers is a country without them.

laughingatallofu 7 years, 1 month ago

<<< Anonymous user Uhlrick_Hetfield_III (Anonymous) says:

Funny, yet tragic. (Or, should it be the other way around?)

laughingatallofu 7 years, 1 month ago

<<< Anonymous user right_thinker (Anonymous) says:

I'd cry if I weren't laughing so hard at your commenthilarious!!

R_T thinks that adultery and abortion are "hilarious!!" Hmmm.

lunacydetector 7 years, 1 month ago

if I were a Narcissist, it would be great on my ego to have a tryst with a subordinate on the company's dime (except this being the case the government's -taxpayer's- dime), and while at work to boot. He doesn't care.

i'm sure these occurances did his ego good. now, if he could just show some empathy - but he wouldn't be in this mess if he was able. This isn't Hollywood. he is supposed to be the number #1 guy when it comes to law...he should be squeeky clean. i wonder how his control freakishness will handle this mess? in his mind, he is the victim and can do no wrong. just like bill clinton.

too bad these type of people are lawyers, criminals or politicians.