Archive for Thursday, December 6, 2007

Outage stretches from East Lawrence to Eudora

December 6, 2007, 9:12 p.m. Updated December 7, 2007, 12:33 a.m.

A problem at a Westar Energy substation near 23rd and O'Connell Road caused an outage that left about 6600 hundred customers without power, Westar spokeswoman Gina Penzig said.

The outage, first reported at 8:55 p.m., stretches from an area bordered by 19th Street on the north, North 1100 Rd. on the south, and parts of Eudora on the east, according to Penzig. No information was available on how far west the outage area stretched.

As of 9:50 p.m., crews were on the scene working to determine the cause of the outage and repair the problems, and power was restored by 12:30 a.m. on Friday.

Comments

saxplayer24 7 years, 4 months ago

must have been what caused the outage at Allen Fieldhouse tonight.

gccs14r 7 years, 4 months ago

It's still out in the 19th & Haskell area.

booze_buds_03 7 years, 4 months ago

Mine was out for about 1 second. Back on kickin it.

average 7 years, 4 months ago

Out in all the Brook Creek (near the cemetery) neighborhood, so a little broader than the article has it. Of course, the article presently has it at "6600 hundred customers".

BTW - A side question to someone with Sunflower telephone. Do they work with the power out? I've got a working landline, and DSL comes with a backup dialup number. I guess I'm too much of a geek if I'm bothering to post from a dark house... go figure.

theatre_fan 7 years, 4 months ago

Lights went out at The Lawrence Community Theatre also. Of course, they were doing a show. Plaid Tidings went on, and hats off to the cast. They were great. Hey, the show must go on.

stinkfist 7 years, 4 months ago

Must of been a big a$$ squirrel if I could see the flash in my window 22nd and Harper.

local_support 7 years, 4 months ago

Lights went off at Cork & Barrel so I grabbed as many bottles as I could and ran.

Dave Greenbaum 7 years, 4 months ago

We're still out over here noth on Cordley. Alas, our phone went out too. We immediately called Sunflower on our cell phone. Two hours later...no call back...and when we call, the phones are busy (and yes, these aren't cordless phones...we have one analog house phone just for this reason). Thank heavens we have a cell phone! Wow, I always thought the phones would stay on when power went out. Guess I was wrong.

gccs14r 7 years, 4 months ago

Power is back on in Edgewood park, but no farther South than that. City housing on Haskell appears to have power, too. Dillon's on Mass was still out a half hour ago, but the traffic light at 17th was on. 19th and Ohio has power, but the light at Tennessee is out. Power appears to be out in a zig-zag pattern from 13th and Haskell to 23rd and Louisiana. Power is on on Louisiana South of Checkers (Checkers is dark) to 31st, but is out in part of the neighborhood between Louisiana and Haskell. Haskell is dark from 13th to 31st, and no one is directing traffic at 23rd and Haskell. It's dark out there, folks. I'm on battery backup here, but don't know how long that'll hold out. Good luck to all of you and try to keep warm.

weatherguy48 7 years, 4 months ago

Dgreen, I think they typically do, but if the telephone 'transformer station' or whatever is without power, then the subscribers connected to that facility are out as well. Plenty of times, I've had a land line remain on while the power is out.

I may be wrong, someone please correct me if I am.

gccs14r 7 years, 4 months ago

Power is back on here (NE of 19th & Haskell, S of Edgewood Park), at least for now. They tried it once before and something blew up.

Paul Decelles 7 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I could see the flash from what ever blew up all the way from E. 28th St Terrace off of O'Connell. Must have been a mighty big squirrel.

The_Voice_of_Reason 7 years, 4 months ago

I was out driving and saw the sky light up with the blue flash at 23rd and Haskell! Def. a transformer... I've seen a couple go before and they make a big blue flash... But it could of been an attack from Iran.... don't tell bush!

gil_bavel 7 years, 4 months ago

At 1900 Kentucky, the power went out at 8:40 PM last night. I called Westar to report the outage and then the police non-emergency number because the street and traffic lights were out. The intersection was uncontrolled and drivers were generally good, and respectful, but as the evening went on, the roads iced up, there were horns honking and there were many near-accidents. I even heard a car either hit the apt. complex I live in or a road sign next to it.

I was personally appalled at the lack of police presence to direct traffic at one of the busiest intersections in Lawrence, especially after I called to bring up the problem. I realize this outage affected a lot of people, but they should have spared at least one squad car to come and keep people from zooming down the street so fast. It's a wonder no one was injured.

gil_bavel 7 years, 4 months ago

As far as the Sunflower telephone users go, I have my service with Sunflower, and when I first called the automated outage line at Westar, the machine couldn't "find my address" because my service was with Sunflower. I had to wade through the automated voice mail tree until I found a real live person, who, bless her heart, was so slogged with calls that she did her best, I'm sure.

There's definitely a problem when a squirrel munchdown at 23rd and Harper causes an outage all the way to 19th and Kentucky. I'd say for all we're paying Westar (and all the huge salaries the suits at Westar High Command are getting), a few more substations along the way are in order.

Make sure everyone calls in and gets the amount of time their power was out removed from their bill. They won't do it unless we all call in and hold their feet to the fire.

4chewnut 7 years, 4 months ago

A follow up to the post about the Lawrence Community Theatre. They did the entire second half in the dark and it was fantastic. Volunteers held flashlights while the cast sang acapella. (sp) A great cast who gave a great performance -- and I'm still not sure what parts were improvised. Go see it!

cornflakegirl 7 years, 4 months ago

Gil, it is not the responsibility of the police to man every intersection (think about how many were out!) when there are still emergencies going on in town. If anything, the power outage probably caused MORE discontent last night. If you want to complain to someone about the intersection issue, why don't you take it up with the traffic division? All of the street lights are supposed to reset to flash red when the power is out. At the very least, all intersections could be equipped with the collapsable stop signs that are permanently installed at many intersections throughout the street.

Dave Greenbaum 7 years, 4 months ago

Regarding phone, what's interesting is I called Sunflower today because I never got a call about my phyones being out: I was told phones don't always work during power outages and there was a "large base of customers without phone last night due to the power outage. This of course contradicts Sunflower's advertising: http://www.sunflowerbroadband.com/telephone/faq/what_if_my_electricity_goes_out_will_i_still_be_able_to_use_my_sunflower_broadband_telephone_service.html

I'm sure glad we had cell phones.