Archive for Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cocaine dealer gets 10-year sentence

August 22, 2007

A 32-year-old Lawrence man has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for convictions related to drug trafficking and money laundering.

Darren D. Wilburn in 2005 had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute or possess with intent to distribute more than 50 grams of cocaine base and conspiracy to commit money laundering. U.S. District Judge Kathryn Vratil decided to run the sentences at the same time.

According to court documents, Wilburn ran a drug trafficking operation in Lawrence from 2001 to 2005. U.S. Attorney Eric Melgren said other people helped Wilburn distribute marijuana and crack cocaine while he handled cash and used it to buy vehicles not registered in his name.

Investigators with the Douglas County Drug Enforcement Unit, made up of sheriff's officers and police, used informants to make controlled purchases of crack cocaine from Wilburn and others involved.

Lamar Johnson and Evann Hardy have also been convicted in the case.

Erin Harmon had pleaded guilty in 2006 for having knowledge of money laundering but failing to report it. According to court documents, Harmon admitted in her plea that Wilburn, her boyfriend, regularly gave her cash to pay for child support, court costs in criminal cases and vehicle rentals. In 2006, she was sentenced to two years' probation.

Comments

denak 6 years, 7 months ago

Let me get this straight. He has 7 kids. Allegedly gave the mother of one of his kids a STD when she was pregnant, and sold cocaine.

Wow, what a winner!

I sincerly hope he learns what a condom is before he is released back into society.

Seems to me, he has already done enough damage. Maybe he will grow up when he is in prison and learn what it really means to be a man.

baby_girl 6 years, 7 months ago

this is crazy, watching all the disrespectful things people have to say about someone they never knew. Darren was never married to Erin Harmon, I don't care what her myspace page says. I'm sure she's just wanting more attention. doesn't she think she got enough of that? She knew what she was doing. why she persists in linking her sorry self to Darren I will never know. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of her saying she is married to him.

anyways. Motivation, I didn't mean disrespect to you. I know there are precious few that truly love and care about Darren. I know that I am one of them, as obviously are you. He'll get through this and come out to people that love and miss him.

matahari 6 years, 7 months ago

Don't know the guy, but dang, his rocks musta been HUGE, he musta been hung, and he musta been a hunk! Whoo hoo!

leadrain 6 years, 7 months ago

BOO-HOO for the dope peddler. Wonder how many lives OUTSIDE of his little ring have been affected by the by-products of his sales. Robberies, burglaries, assaults, thefts and plain old psyco behavior all stem from high-end drug availability and usage. Put the screws to him.

shockchalk 6 years, 7 months ago

So, just to recap.......cocaine is illegal and selling, using, or trading it, may be considered a bad CHOICE. So, be careful this weekend, not ignorant.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

It's funny to see how people think with uneducated and non-comprehensible stupidity when someone cares for someone else. I'm not involved in the situation and I have nothing to do with any of it. I know Darren from long before the drug dealing ever even started. I am a friend. I don't wish for sympathy for him, because he doesn't want or ask for it. He also doesn't want me wasting my time on here. Darren is doing what he needs to do. He is stronger than others think and he is kinder than others wish to mention. Used by him? Doubt it. See...I'm actually intelligent and don't let myself get involved in things that are detrimental to myself. Unlike others that thought it would bring him around more. Costello, thank you for all of your support on this topic. Alot of your articles and postings are exactly what needs to be said. However, none of these idiots on this blog will ever get the hint. Oh well, I'm sure Darren would tell me to let all of you do what you do and to stop worrying about it. So......until next article...remember to always watch your surroundings and stay positive. Being positive is contageous and brings a smile to everyone around you.

Keith 6 years, 7 months ago

kneejerkreaction,

I may be wrong, but I think sarcasm just up and took a big chunk out of your hindquarters.

justanothervoice 6 years, 7 months ago

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie (Anonymous) says:

"Why are all y'all hating on Darren? You think he CHOSE a life of drug dealing? If you do then that's whack. Society made him what he is, he didn't have nothin to do with it. It's easy to criticize when you come from a two parent home in the suburbs, but not everyone has that luxury. Darren is a loving father to all seven of his kids and will be back bigger and better than ever after he pays his debt to da man."

Is Ashton Kutcher in town? Did somebody just get punked? You can't be serious? If you are, well, then you must have really got your ascotnyourdickie.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 7 months ago

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie (Anonymous) says: Why are all y'all hating on Darren? You think he CHOSE a life of drug dealing? If you do then that's whack. Society made him what he is, he didn't have nothin to do with it.

This kind of mentality just speaks for itself. Blame your woes on someone else, society, race, family life, but you personally are not at fault. C'mon. I think anyone with half a brain KNOWS that this dude CHOSE his own destiny. No one forced it on him. It didn't go as he had planned, now he's paying the price.

shockchalk 6 years, 7 months ago

We all have a choice, regardless of where we grow up, how many parents are in the home, or how much education we have. Life is about choices and this man made his. Now he is paying the price, as it should be. I hope everything goes great for him and his family when he gets done serving his time.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 6 years, 7 months ago

shockchalk 6 years, 7 months ago

ignorant; a; unlearned. Well illogicbound0snore....I believe that fits you perfectly. Only someone as "unlearned" as you would post something so IGNORANT about cocaine use. BTW, have you ever used cocaine, sold drugs, or abused your responsibilities as a parent? What exactly are you basing your "unlearned" and ignorant opinion on?

waydownsouth 6 years, 7 months ago

WOW i have learned more about Darren then i have ever in life wanted to know This is like a soap opera.

workin2hard 6 years, 7 months ago

Madmike you should have used ghonnorea he gave that to a few girls even one that was pregnant with his child. As for Babygirl and Motivation they still feel the need to be used by him. If you read some of their past posts they are his most adoring fans.

offtotheright 6 years, 7 months ago

Motivation --you need to put the crack pipe down honey!

offtotheright 6 years, 7 months ago

This guy will never recoup from prison. He won't make it past the parole stuff, etc....but he's a scumball so who cares!

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you that alcohol is a problem. I detest alcohol, and you won't hear any arguments in its favor from me. The trouble is they tried making it illegal, and it didn't cease being a problem. It became more of a problem. And then organized crime got involved in the alcohol business. They repealed that amendment pretty fast. It didn't work. And antidrug laws aren't working either.

"The fact that alcohol is legal makes everybody think it is safe despite the problems that can occur."

I also agree that people tend to think that if something is legal it is okay to do. And conversely if something isn't ok to do it is (or should be) illegal. It's silly, in my opinion. There are a lot of legal things that I don't do - drinking, smoking, and gambling, for example. Would we all be better off if everyone abandoned those things? Probably. Will making them illegal stop people from doing them? No.

"Some parents even let underage kids at their house and buy alcohol for them."

I especially hate people who furnish alcohol to underage people who aren't their own kids. I don't have alcohol in my home, and I don't want other people giving it to my kids.

When my son was 18, the cops brought him home one night. They found him at a party in an apartment owned by a 30+ year old man who had bought liquor for the minors there. When I called the man the next day, at first he said that he didn't know the kids were drinking because he was passed out, I mean sleeping, on the couch (and he literally said it that way, I kid you not). Then he said feebly, "People do drink, you know." When I pointed out that my son was underage, he had nothing to say. So his reasoning was "alcohol is legal, people drink, it is (or should be) ok to give alcohol to 18 year olds."

Of course, providing alcohol to minors is illegal. But that didn't stop him. And how did the police know about this party? The guy's angry ex-wife got wind of it and called the police. So ultimately the law was just being used in this case for this woman to get even with her ex - not to protect my son. Frankly I'm not sure he was even prosecuted.

craigers 6 years, 7 months ago

costello, that is definitely not the easy way out and I'm glad there are people that take that approach to their tough choices.
As for drugs, I don't see legalizing them making it any better either. Look at alcohol. It is not illegal and kids are starting to drink younger and younger. Some parents even let underage kids at their house and buy alcohol for them. The fact that alcohol is legal makes everybody think it is safe despite the problems that can occur. I know I don't have any hard facts about this but it seems like the use of alcohol is growing more common. The more we advertise something, the more people try it.

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

"costello, you could use the 'they are so expensive to enforce' on numerous cases."

You could, but I haven't. I'll never argue that enforcing the laws against murder, rape, etc., is too expensive.

"Drugs, especially crack, speed, cocaine, etc need to be dealt with and the cost is something that comes along with it."

What we're doing isn't working. It doesn't make any sense to continue doing it.

Many years ago my sister had a roommate - an education student planning a career as a teacher. Her boyfriend gave her drugs a few times - heroin or cocaine, I can't remember which - and she was hooked. Pretty quickly they weren't free any more; she had to find a way to pay for them. I always wonder what happened to her. I can't help but think that if drugs were legal she might have had a different experience. Her boyfriend might have been less likely to give her freebies in order to get her addicted. Or she might have felt more comfortable asking for help. At the very least, the drugs would have been cheaper and she might not have felt the need to prostitute herself for them. Who knows? Making an otherwise productive person a criminal because she made a bad choice at 21 and got hooked doesn't seem rational to me.

"The correct choices in life are usually the hard way, not the easy way."

People like Mr. Wilburn are drawn to dealing drugs, because they can make a lot of money from it. They can make a lot of money from it, because it's illegal. Make it legal and the thugs would go elsewhere. (I'm not saying Mr. Wilburn is a thug; I don't know him.) And I'm not naive enough to believe the thugs would suddenly become law-abiding citizens; no doubt they'd find some other area of crime, but there are a heck of a lot of people who are criminals only because they use drugs.

Furthermore, if drugs were legal, their quality could be monitored by the government and their sales could be taxed.

"However, when people start making excuses for them doing illegal activity and want the public to say it's okay we know your heart was in the right place, it drives me nuts."

I agree. I'm irritated when I hear strippers say they're single moms and they need to take care of their kids (and stripping isn't even illegal). I'm a single mom too. At 23 I was a single mom doing crap jobs that paid almost nothing and working on my education. No one's ever accuse me of taking the easy way! ;-)

hawklet21 6 years, 7 months ago

Since when is dealing blow considered a good job to support your family? Is money all you care about? How sad.

craigers 6 years, 7 months ago

madmike, have you been watching Major Payne?

costello, you could use the "they are so expensive to enforce" on numerous cases. Drugs, especially crack, speed, cocaine, etc need to be dealt with and the cost is something that comes along with it. I am all for rehabilitation for felons and convicts cause I believe they have a right to a second chance. However, when people start making excuses for them doing illegal activity and want the public to say it's okay we know your heart was in the right place, it drives me nuts. They knew it was illegal and they made the choice. The correct choices in life are usually the hard way, not the easy way.

waydownsouth 6 years, 7 months ago

The drug dealers around town and even in the US are small time. None of which own a coco field or a poppy field. They want to stop the war on drugs maybe they should start there. Why start at the bottom and work up. Just seems backwards to me.

madmike 6 years, 7 months ago

Motivation and Baby Girl; If you are looking for sympathy for a coke dealer, you had better look in the dictionary between s**t and syphillis, because you won't find any from me!

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

craigers, for the record, I am not pro-drugs in any way, shape or form. I was just telling Marion that if he feels the current drug laws are absurd, he should seek to have them changed.

Personally, I feel, many times, that our current drug laws do not go far enough, or that judges often tend to go light in this area.

I also do not see the criminals as "victims of society or circumstance". Most of them are people who made choices. Bad choices, but choices.

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

"Oh, I just love Lawrence and all the pro-drugs, poor criminals victims people. This thread is definitely entertaining."

I'm not pro-drugs. I'm very against the use of drugs. Personally I've never used any illegal drugs. I also don't drink or smoke. (I got a little tipsy once when I was 18; I hated the sensation of being out of control so much I never drank again.) In my version of an ideal world no one would use mind-altering drugs.

But the drug laws clearly don't work. They don't solve the problems they were created to solve; they create a whole slew of new problems; and they're very expensive to try to enforce. Looked at rationally, rather than emotionally, they should be done away with.

I also don't have a "poor criminals" mentality. Again, looking at the issue rationally instead of emotionally, there's no good reason to cut prisoners off from their loved ones and make them feel isolated from everyone who cares for them. All of the evidence points in exactly the other direction. Criminals are less likely to reoffend if they have the support of a caring family.

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

For heaven's sake! My comment was removed? All I said was that a couple of people on this thread still care about Mr. Wilburn despite his mistakes. How does that justify removal?

craigers 6 years, 7 months ago

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

Marion, our drug laws may well be absurd, but they are still our laws. Break them and pay the consequences. It's no different than if I block entrance to an abortion mill: I will probably be arrested. But that's the risk I assume when I knowingly break the law. I also don't agree with our current laws banning trade with and travel to/from Cuba. Each time I go there, I'm breaking the law and assuming the risk. Every time I bring Cuban cigars home, I'm breaking the law.

If you don't agree with our current laws, work to change them. That's what I'm doing with regards to the two topics I mentioned above.

spywell 6 years, 7 months ago

I think I'm going to puke. This guy has been a player and a criminal all his adult live. Selling crack since he was a teenager. He's where he needs to be.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

As far as I am concerned the guy is only a businessman who gave the people what they wanted.

You got a problem with what he does look at his customers.

Our drug laws are absurd.

The_Daily_Truth 6 years, 7 months ago

And there you have it. Darren doesn't care about the people he hurts, Darren cares about Darren. Typical criminal.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

Like your opinion of whom I choose to keep company with worries me? No one around Lawrence even knows me. I've known Darren longer than all of the females on this blog. If you've told him, good for you. I wasn't even around when all this went down. But I still have his back on all of this. And he knows that he was wrong in many ways, admits it, and is accepting his consequences. It doesn't matter if he's married. I'm still now and will always be his FRIEND. However, I don't know Erin Harmon, but she's been attempting to say they were married for quite some time. Don't you think her name would legally be Erin Wilburn if that was the case? Don't you think this article would have referred to her as his wife, and not his girlfriend? Doesn't matter. He's still my friend, and that's all I have to say. Judge me and the people I hand around all you want. When you have no idea, assumptions are hillarious.

macon47 6 years, 7 months ago

this guy was a drug dealer for christs sake and he only got 10 years?

welcome to lawrence support your local drug dealers.

workin2hard 6 years, 7 months ago

Motivation Darren knows exactly how i feel about him. I have told him enough times. So i talk want i personally know about the man. Defend him if you want its your right. Shows the character of people you choose to hang around with.

workin2hard 6 years, 7 months ago

I know more about that man then i care to know. Assumptions i don't think so. And you are going to tell me hes not married? Better tell Erin Harmon. Her myspace says otherwise. And your right he never set still he was house hopping from one girl to the next.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

Just for the information of these people that keep posting how they know exactly who and what Darren was. Darren does not care about opinions of people that do not and have not cared about him. He has time to do, and I know, for a fact, that all this bickering back and forth and all these judgements passed by people that never even knew him will not make any points to others. These postings are useless. If you have something to say TO DARREN, then WRITE DARREN and tell him. Otherwise, stop wasting your time on this page and the time of others. Someone needs to help him defend himself. I find it rediculous that people are so fast to jump online and post about Darren and his personal life. The same people that would never say this stuff to his face. If you think about it. It is actually kind of humorous.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

Go back to work....Darren is not married, and Darren does have several people that are not involved in the loop that concerned the trial that all support him. The people on this blog that support Darren do not feel sorry for him, nor does he feel sorry for himself. Additionally, Darren never stayed still long enough for anyone to know whom he was spending his time with. Therefore, unless you were tucked in his pocket, you would not have the slightest idea. Please, keep your assumptions to yourself.

workin2hard 6 years, 7 months ago

Darren got what he deserved. The fact that someone feels sorry for him makes me laugh. The only person supporting him is his wife who he also got in trouble. The reason she only got 2 years probation is i'm sure daddy bailed her out. The man has about 6 or 7 kids he only spent time with 1. 2 of which are less than a year apart. He used woman to sell so he could do his own thing and keep his name out of the loop. He may not be the big man in Lawrence as far as drugs go but he is not the upstanding person some people would like you to believe. And i doubt he is learning a lesson.

logicsound04 6 years, 7 months ago

The_Daily_Troll,

I always love it when people demonstrate their ignorance on the meaning of the word ignorant. Thanks.

I was actually talking about shockfock, but now I see there are two people that lack basic vocabulary skills on this thread.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

It's not even worth responding to the two above. Obviously humanity went right out the window when they logged on.

b3 6 years, 7 months ago

This sorry individual should be spending the rest of his life in jail.

The_Daily_Truth 6 years, 7 months ago

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

""If he wasn't that involved, he wouldn't have gotten 10 years unless he already had a fat rap sheet."

Not the case. Try looking something up first. This link shows sentencing guidelines and it looks like this guy could have gotten more time than he was sentenced to. http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/da/sentenc:" KMAT

That's sort of my point. I was pointing out to someone who said, "He wasn't that involved." Of course he was or he wouldn't have gotten 10 years.

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

"Prohibition, which failed to improve health and virtue in America, can afford some invaluable lessons. First, it can provide some perspective on the current crisis in drug prohibition--a 75-year effort that is increasingly viewed as a failure." (http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-157.html)

"The Volstead Act, passed to enforce the Eighteenth Amendment, had an immediate impact on crime. According to a study of 30 major U.S. cities, the number of crimes increased 24 percent between 1920 and 1921. The study revealed that during that period more money was spent on police (11.4+ percent) and more people were arrested for violating Prohibition laws (102+ percent). But increased law enforcement efforts did not appear to reduce drinking: arrests for drunkenness and disorderly conduct increased 41 percent, and arrests of drunken drivers increased 81 percent. Among crimes with victims, thefts and burglaries increased 9 percent, while homicides and incidents of assault and battery increased 13 percent. More crimes were committed because prohibition destroys legal jobs, creates black-market violence, diverts resources from enforcement of other laws, and greatly increases the prices people have to pay for the prohibited goods.

"Instead of emptying the prisons as its supporters had hoped it would, Prohibition quickly filled the prisons to capacity. Those convicted of additional crimes with victims (burglaries, robberies, and murders), which were due to Prohibition and the black market, were incarcerated largely in city and county jails and state prisons. According to Towne, 'The Sing Sing prison deported no less than sixty prisoners to Auburn in May 1922 because of overcrowding.' ...

"Before Prohibition and the Harrison Narcotics Act (1914), there had been 4,000 federal convicts, fewer than 3,000 of whom were housed in federal prisons. By 1932 the number of federal convicts had increased 561 percent, to 26,589, and the federal prison population had increased 366 percent. Much of the increase was due to violations of the Volstead Act and other Prohibition laws. The number of people convicted of Prohibition violations increased 1,000 percent between 1925 and 1930, and fully half of all prisoners received in 1930 had been convicted of such violations. Two-thirds of all prisoners received in 1930 had been convicted of alcohol and drug offenses, and that figure rises to 75 percent of violators if other commercial prohibitions are included.

"The explosion in the prison population greatly increased spending on prisons and led to severe overcrowding. Total federal expenditures on penal institutions increased more than 1,000 percent between 1915 and 1932. Despite those expenditures and new prison space, prisons were severely overcrowded. In 1929 the normal capacity of Atlanta Penitentiary and Leavenworth Prison was approximately 1,500 each, but their actual population exceeded 3,700 each."

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

Whenever I watch the show Home Improvement I think about the fact that Tim Allen's life could have easily been destroyed because of a drug conviction.

"During college he [Tim Allen] was arrested for cocaine trafficking and sentenced to two years." ...

"On October 2, 1978, Allen was arrested in the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek International Airport for possession of 1.4 pounds of cocaine. He subsequently informed on other drug dealers in order to have his sentence reduced from life imprisonment to three to seven years, of which he served 28 months, in the Sandstone, Minnesota Federal Correctional Institution." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Allen)

BTW, you can still locate him in the federal offender database: http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=NameSearch&needingMoreList=false&LastName=dick&Middle=&FirstName=timothy&Race=W&Sex=U&Age=&x=0&y=0

kmat 6 years, 7 months ago

logicsound04 6 years, 7 months ago

"The most ignorant post in this entire thread was from logicsound04 at 2:32! Free trade, plain and simple. There is nothing plain or simple about cocaine::..dealing it, using it, abusing it. Get a clue or better yet::..get some logic!"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! You are officially the 7,453rd person to make that clever joke about my screenname.

Additionally, I don't think you know the meaning of the word "ignorant". Just because you disagree with me doesn't make me uninformed, it makes me an opposing viewpoint. I am well aware that cocaine is dangerous and deadly, is highly addictive, can be cut with baking soda to make crack, and is illegal.

I also know that alcohol is dangerous and deadly, is addictive, and is NOT illegal. Now you tell me, in all my ignorance, what the distinction is in the eyes of the law? Why one and not the other?

At any rate, the entire point of my post was that the War on Drugs is, at best, a misguided attempt at good intentions. At worst, it is a form of class warfare. I am in favor of making drugs legal, providing GOOD information about their dangers (my D.A.R.E. class told me Marijuana would kill you!), and let sovereign adults make their own choices regarding what they intake. Hell, spend all the War on Drugs money for treatment programs.

And before you go citing the "cost to society" as a reason why we shouldn't let people use addictive drugs, I would ask you why it's not illegal to consume foods that are high in cholesterol and fat? The cost of obesity to society is enormous, but since there is a well-funded junk food lobby, that will never happen.

kmat 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't know this man, but want to comment to all of those that have such nasty things to say about him that don't comment until you have walked in his shoes. How many of you that are so quick to judge have broken the law? How many of you have gotten high at some point in your life?

I just think it is sickening that so many of you have such terrible things to say without knowing the circumstances of this case.

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment that you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." Matthew 7.1-5

Early in the morning [Jesus] came again to the temple; all the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8.2-11

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

I can't find him in the Kansas offender database: http://www.dc.state.ks.us/kasper. And the federal offender database shows that a 32-year-old Darren Wilburn was released on 6/26/2006: http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/LocateInmate.jsp.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

Selling coke to pay child support? Classy.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 7 months ago

Wonder what the LPD did with whatever blow they confiscated? I heard donut sales were down in Lawrence.

shockchalk 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree that this man made some very poor choices and now, has to accept responsibiltiy for them. There is NO valid excuse for dealing drugs. Motivation was a friend of his and it's only natural that he would be concerned about his friend. The most ignorant post in this entire thread was from logicsound04 at 2:32! Free trade, plain and simple. There is nothing plain or simple about cocaine........dealing it, using it, abusing it. Get a clue or better yet........get some logic!

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

Note in the exerpt below: "Research has suggested that offenders who discontinue crime are often socially bonded to family, maintaining contact while within the institution." It doesn't make sense to discourage a prisoner's loved ones from maintaining ties with him while he's incarcerated.

"An offender returning home to his or her family presents special considerations for re-entry programs. Families represent an important support system for offenders both while incarcerated and in the community. Their absence can have a significant effect on the offender's family structure and the long-term risk of future criminal behavior by the offender's child, a particularly important consideration given that more than 1.5 million children have a parent in state or federal prison. Youth with an incarcerated parent may feel they are more responsible for adult roles; they may feel stigmatized, or may have an increased risk of addiction or delinquency. Marital relationships are often strained and are more likely to end in divorce for a variety of reasons, including financial hardships, lack of emotional support, or simply the stress of having an absent spouse.

"The increased risk of family breakdown for inmates is particularly important in light of the research on social support. Social support can help reduce strain and subsequent negative emotions, as well as produce higher levels of self-control and predictability. Research has suggested that offenders who discontinue crime are often socially bonded to family, maintaining contact while within the institution. Successful reunification of offenders with their families requires clear attention to their issues and concerns. In many circumstances families are not well equipped to handle the parolee and in some circumstances are considered high risk for criminal behavior themselves. The problem is further compounded when children are placed in out-of-home care due to the parent's criminal activity and child welfare agencies see the parent as a continued risk to the child.

"While many agencies recognize the importance of providing family-based therapy, most programs struggle with reunifying families. The families face immense structural problems such as poverty and inadequate living situations, or emotional and personal barriers to welcoming the person back into the family. However, research clearly shows that family-based interventions can strengthen the family support network and provide the appropriate care needed by the offender. Moreover, family-based therapies that rely on behavioral and social learning models have been shown in the literature to be highly effective."

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

"Thank you, Costello. My point exactly."

No problem. I hope your friend stays on the straight and narrow once he's released.

From the Brits:

"Recent research has shown that three issues have a major influence on how newly released prisoners react to their situation back in the community: secure housing, a job and close family relationships all enable former inmates to settle back into the community without falling again into crime."

...

"Research shows that unemployed former offenders are twice as likely to reoffend as those who get and keep a job. Homeless former prisoners are nearly two-and-a-half times as likely to be reconvicted as those with stable accommodation. Prisoners without family support are between twice and six times more likely to reoffend than those with support from a family. Drug dependent former offenders who continue using drugs commit around five times more offences than those who enter treatment programmes."

Defender 6 years, 7 months ago

"Because "other peoples children" were making their own choices. He wasn't strapping them down and shoving blow up their noses."

And he was providing a killer drug to people who were not only destroying thier own lives, but the lives of thier own families too. Period.

"He is guilty of practicing free trade, plain and simple. It's just that the government doesn't like the nature of his goods."

Sorry, but you'll never change my mind. Practicing free trade, what an idiotic joke. Cocaine is illegal and deadly, and he deserves what he got. Grow up.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

Thank you, Costello. My point exactly.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

I was there, and I did offer to help. He did get a job for a short time. There is no reason to explain myself or my involvement in Darren's live to any of you. And I will not continue to justify his actions. He wouldn't want me sitting here when I have better things to do. We know how smart he is and that he will be fine. His children are his primary concern and Darren truly wants to get released and turn things around in order to be there for them.

Kontum1972 6 years, 7 months ago

you play...you pay....he knew the penalty if caught..it does not take an einstein to figure out that if you get caught your going to prison....right and wrong...he chose wrong....if he needed money so badly why didnt he sign up for the miltiary..it has benefits esp if u get blown away....the government gives death benefits to the kids so,... too bad for him..deal with it..!

he could of been a hero...now he will be a "convict" and he is off the streets mb he will be rehabilitated...lets hope!

doc1 6 years, 7 months ago

This is rediculous. This man sold Crack! He doesn't deserve the support. Hope he thinks about what he did and learns from the mistake. Crack is so evil more that most can believe. It causes most of the crime in this town. If you don't believe me ask a police officer how many burglary, theft, and robbery reports compared to the other reports and see what he says. They all agree that most of the crime is from people seeking to get crack.

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

"Communities are embracing family-focused methods and family-based treatment because it is cost-efficient, customized, and sustainable. Family Justice's experience working with families, confirmed by other organizations' research, demonstrates the important role families play in the success of people returning home from jail or prison, especially for those coping with addiction. With support, families are a critical resource in reducing recidivism and substance abuse; they are naturally vested in successful reentry, often the first to intervene before issues become crises, available 24 hours, and able to sustain over the long term the gains made by correctional, law enforcement, and nonprofit interventions.

...

"According to the most recent data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the number of drug offenders in prisons and jails has risen from 40,000 in 1980 to more than 450,000 today. More than half of federal inmates were sentenced for drug offenses. These statistics underscore the reality of our criminal justice system: any initiative to reduce criminal justice system involvement is inextricably linked to substance abuse treatment.

"[S]trong evidence demonstrates that family-based treatment programs help improve outcomes for individuals under criminal justice supervision. An evaluation by the Vera Institute of Justice of Family Justice's direct service learning center, La Bodega de la Familia, showed that, by focusing on providing family support to people under parole supervision:

" Illegal drug use declined from 80% to 42% after six months-not as a result of additional time in treatment, but rather family inclusion; " Rearrest rates declined; and "* Overall family well-being increased.

...

"The Urban Institute longitudinal studies of reentry in urban areas, such as Chicago and Baltimore, demonstrate that families of released prisoners are an important source of both emotional and tangible support for people returning home from incarceration. For example, former prisoners living in Chicago four to eight months post-release from custody cited family as the most important factor in helping them stay out of prison:

" 92% reported getting financial support from someone in their family, and " 88% were living with family."

Jayhawk_N_Denver 6 years, 7 months ago

"Darren never got his children caught up in the other life, and everything he did was to support his brother, sister, mother, and all children."

His kids are certainly suffering for it now! As for supporting his brother, sister, mother, and children...how about GET A JOB!?! It's good to know that he feels remorse, but he should never have gotten involved in drugs in the first place. It's also good to know that this guy has so many supporters, but where were you when he "wanted to get out" of the drug dealing business. If you care so much, help him find a job, help him write a resume, help him better himself. Don't wait until he's in jail to show that you're a true friend because you send him letters and money. How nice of you!

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

valid_opinions: he is doing the time. And I must add DARREN is not whining about it at all. He's taking it with alot of dignity. Which is better than I can say for most. He will rehabilitate and be a better person at the end of this. He is strong and smart. He does know that he was wrong and has no intentions on making the same mistake again. We, on this blog, know him and are his friends. Not a support group.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 7 months ago

Colonel_Angus 6 years, 7 months ago

And the children called Adolf 'uncle'.

costello 6 years, 7 months ago

"I'm confused, baby_girl. Why on earth would anyone send him money? He's in prison. Yeah, it might be lonely in there, but from what I read, he already got a gift when the judge decided to let him serve his sentences concurrently."

It's my understanding that prisoners who have contacts and support on the outside are less likely to reoffend once they're released. If so, it's in our best interests to encourage baby_girl and other friends of Mr. Wilburn to maintain positive contacts with him.

He's 32 and apparently 3 years into a 10 year sentence. He'll certainly be released while he's still a young man. Would you rather he be isolated and hopeless when he re-enters society?

daddax98 6 years, 7 months ago

he did the crime now he will do the dime. at least he will not be out there fathering more illegitimate kids

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't take this personally, logicsound. However, I have known this man longer than most. He is a sweethearted individual that has taken the wrap for many others that wanted to just play the "victim" role. It makes me sick to see females that want to say they did it all for Darren, when they got what they wanted in return: cars, houses, money, etc. He was not a huge drug dealer. He was doing the only thing he knew how to survive, granted not the correct thing, but he's accepting the consequences for those choices. I just wish more people had his courage. Obviously not.

logicsound04 6 years, 7 months ago

Motivation,

Try not to take it too personally. Between D.A.R.E. and the War on Drugs, we are conditioned to believe that all problems associated with drugs come from a single source: the all-powerful, heartless dealer.

Nevermind the fact that proper parenting would make a dealer's job harder if not impossible.

Nevermind the fact that were drugs regulated rather than outlawed, the black-market factor that results in so many deaths would be nonexistent

Nevermind the fact that at the end of the day, drug users are making a CHOICE. They are not victims.

On an unrelated note, why does the LJWorld online automatically un-capitalize words sometimes, but not other times? HUH? (for example, both "choice" and "huh" were capitalized when I composed this post, yet only "huh" remains capitalized)

logicsound04 6 years, 7 months ago

"He apparently was making money killing other peoples children, so why should he ever be allowed in society again?"

By your logic, bar owners are "killing other peoples children", yet they don't have legal penalties for their profession. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

informed-

This article made him out to be a drug king pin. This was incorrectly assumed. And running a drug trafficking business?? I don't think so. I've known Darren for over a decade. He was NEVER that involved. Epiphany that it was wrong?? Yes, he knew and he dispised himself for many years for doing it. He wanted out, but didn't know how. Someday I hope you never have to feel what it is like to not be able to find a job to pay the consequences for everyone else around you in order to make things right. It's okay though, Darren doesn't need or want sympathy from anyone. He's making due with what he has and doing what he must to make things right now.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, Motivation, you're explanation of WHY he did it rings hollow. He ran a drug trafficking business to support his family? C'mon. He did it because it seemed like easy money. And it was -- at least until he got caught. He has no choice but to suffer the consequences. If he hadn't been caught, would he have suddenly had some epiphany that what he was doing was wrong, that he was destroying lives? Doubtful.

Support? Not from me. Sympathy? For his children -- that they have a good role model in their lives and don't end up like their father.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

Regardless of what anyone says. None of you knew him. Darren never got his children caught up in the other life, and everything he did was to support his brother, sister, mother, and all children. He's accepted his responsibilities and wishes to turn his life around. Can you at least support someone willing to take the consequences and do the work to turn it around?

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

Defender 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, but I feel no sympathy except for his children. He apparently was making money killing other peoples children, so why should he ever be allowed in society again?

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 7 months ago

This guy has kids and he was dealing coke??? Wow. Sounds like real father-of-the-year material.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

Baby_girl you are not the only one there for him. Trust he has support and will be fine.

Motivation 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree. I wish the sentence was shorter, but he accepts his responsibilities. Hopefully, Darren will be able to do his time and turn his life around. I have his back through it all.

baby_girl 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to hear Darren got 10 years. He's been sitting in holding for what, almost 3 years now? I'm glad he can get this sentence out of the way and still be able to see his kids when he gets out. He can use all the support he can right now. Talking to him makes me sad when he tells me no one is sending him money or even letters. Nice to know that not one of his friends is sending him money and there's just one me that can barely support myself that sends money when I can. Come on, D's friends and loved ones, help him out. Even if it's just cards and letters, he'd appreciate any love and support he gets. It's lonely in there from what hear. Much love to him. I'll always be there when he needs me.

acquarius 6 years, 7 months ago

So this guy gets 10 years and the prechers wife MURDERS her husband and is not in jail??