Archive for Monday, August 20, 2007

Troopers join truckers in making roads safer

Officers ride shotgun to patrol for violations

Kansas Highway Patrol troopers get ready to hit the road on eastbound Kansas Highway 10 near Lawrence in a semitrailer. "Trucks On Patrol for Safety" is a new program that allows troopers to ride along with truck drivers and monitor how safely other traffic interacts with big trucks.

August 20, 2007

Highway patrol teaming up with truckers

Highway patrol officers buckle down on drivers and have a new tactic for catching them. Enlarge video

Chris Jones, of Ottawa, drives his semitrailer while Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Lt. Chris Turner works radar and cameras, which record violations of both passenger vehicles and other large trucks.

Tips from troopers on staying out of trouble

To avoid tickets:

• Stay out of blind spots.
  • Never follow a large truck too closely.
  • Don't speed.
  • Use extra caution when passing a truck.
  • Remember a semitrailer needs as much as 100 yards to come to a complete stop.
  • Always use your turn signal.
  • Always use seat belts and child safety seats when appropriate.

Source: kansashighwaypatrol.org

A quick way to upset Chris Jones, a jovial semitrailer driver who prides himself on his pristine driving record, is to hang out in his blind spot on the highway.

If you really want to raise his blood pressure, you'll try to pass him in the right lane after he's moved to the left lane for a Kansas Highway Patrol trooper on the shoulder.

After all, it's the law.

"I don't want to witness a trooper getting killed because someone didn't follow the law," he said. "I'm doing the right thing. It's two to three seconds of their time. To risk someone's life, it's not worth it."

Jones, an Ottawa resident whose father and grandfather were truck drivers, has been driving trucks for 18 years. He wants people to realize that such careless driving can turn deadly.

Such an example occurred Wednesday when a semitrailer driver died trying to avoid a Mazda that was in his way on Interstate 435 near Edwardsville. The trucker swerved to miss the car and lost control of the cab, which went off the road and into an embankment where it caught fire.

Accidents like this prompted the highway patrol and the trucking industry to join forces to create the "Trucks On Patrol for Safety" program, which began in April. The program allows troopers to ride with semitrailer drivers so they can see the violations that occur.

According to the Kansas Department of Transportation, there were 68 fatal collisions involving large trucks in 2005, which is the latest data available. That same year, large trucks were involved in 5.7 percent of traffic crashes and 17.7 percent of fatal crashes.

Lt. Chris Turner of the Kansas Highway Patrol said only about 30 percent of accidents nationwide are caused by semitrailer drivers.

"Most of the time, the truck is not at fault," Turner said.

But often they get blamed for accidents, and Jones can attest to that.

"I get the finger on a weekly basis," Jones said.

Semi driver's view

As part of the TOPS program, Turner and Lt. Richard Jimerson are riding along with semitrailer drivers in the northeast Kansas region. During a ride-along, each truck is equipped with a $10,000 five-camera system. The cameras record the violations of both passenger vehicles and other large trucks.

If a violations occurs, Turner or Jimerson radio other officers along the highway to pull the violator over. Turner said when a person is pulled over, the officer will determine whether a ticket or warning is necessary. Regardless, the individual is informed about the TOPS program, which helps educate people about road safety.

KHP Capt. Dan Meyer said during a recent press conference that most people are receptive to the program.

"A lot of it is education," he said. "They don't understand what they did wrong; they don't understand how their action affects a large truck. Once we explain that, I think the public understands."

On Wednesday, Turner rode along with Jones on Kansas Highway 10 and said the vantage point was a valuable experience.

They made several trips between 23rd Street in Lawrence and the De Soto exit. Nine people were pulled over in about 90 minutes during the early afternoon while a Journal-World reporter and photographer were along for the ride. They made more trips later that day, but the number of citations was unavailable. On average, about 50 people are pulled over for violations in an eight-hour day, Turner said.

Since April, 407 citations and 316 warnings have been given in Kansas as part of the TOPS program.

And they aren't just tickets for moving violations, speeding or not wearing seat belts. There have been three drug arrests and one driving under the influence arrest. Meyer said troopers had pulled over a man who was reading the newspaper, talking on his cell phone and speeding all at once.

He said a $250,000 federal grant will help launch the program again next year. The federal government also will pay for a TOPS media campaign.

Rules of the road

Jones has driven more than 2 million miles and lives by the TOPS campaign motto: Leave more space for trucks.

"The rule of thumb is four seconds," he said. "The rule of thumb in my company, which is one of the safest companies in the country, is eight seconds."

The safety standards for truck drivers is high. Companies are audited by the KHP and can be fined between $2,000 and $100,000.

"You have to hit them in the pocketbook so they think about it," Jones said. "Otherwise, they won't change."

So far, the TOPS program also has given 71 citations to large-truck drivers and 157 warnings. Meyer said troopers had pulled over a semitrailer for an improper lane change and discovered 48 pounds of marijuana.

Trucking companies encourage safety by providing an annual $1,000 bonus for drivers if they don't receive any tickets.

"It's integrity," Jones said. "A lot of people don't realize we have to be out here. At $3 a gallon we're not joy riding, we're not riding around for nothing.

"It's my livelihood. It's my life."

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years ago

Truckers also use radar detectors and do tailgate in a big way. So do SUV's and many other drivers. Trucks and large SUV's tailgating plus traveling at 80 mph when they decide to pass is not a great combination. The speed is a guess as I usually set my speed at 70 mph and I prefer a fair amount of space between myself and the car ahead. K-10 is my most frequent experience.

Do any drivers get citations for tailgating?

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

Some of the worst and most dangerous drivers I've seen are truckers. Some of them seem to have a very dangerous attitude that they own the road.

redwaggoner 8 years ago

Personally, I don't know if anyone has been stopped for tailgating...but they should! I do ot know why people have to get so darn close. Perhaps the want to see what you have in your trunk or they are so into themselves they can't concentrate on their driving. If I can't see anothers headlights and or front bumper in my rearview mirror, I consider them to be too close. I will tap my brakes to wake them up but then they will fly around me and attempt to aggravate me for making them slow down.

While we are on the subject of traffic laws, when are people going to realize that when they enter the highway from an "on ramp", that they DO NOT HAVE THE IMMEDIATE RIGHT OF WAY? Last week, I was driving from Salina to Wichita on I-135 and had a small car come down the ramp and immediately pulled out in front of me causing me to make a panic swerve to miss that driver. Later that day when I was returning to Salina on the same road, I was in the center lane and nearly got creamed by another driver trying to avoid a driver entering the freeway from an "on-ramp". Had I been 1-2 seconds further ahead, I would have been creamed or possibly creamed swerving (at 75MPH) to miss these two individuals. The driver that I missed by inches, was trying to avoid the first vehicle that failed to yield the ROW to traffic.

WHY PEOPLE? ARE YOU IN THAT MUCH OF A HURRY THAT YOU CAN'T SLOW DOWN FOR OTHER DRIVERS?

Lars Larson 8 years ago

tailgating comes about when there is a slow person in the fast lane. at least that is where I can see it being justified.

redwaggoner 8 years ago

Hey "Stuck"...Did you consider that these truckers that you hate so much are possibly better drivers than you? If you had to pull that trailer behind you all day and half the night trying to make a decent living you might become a little careless too. Give 'em a brake (and a break) and give them plenty of room. Don't tailgate them and don't drive in their blindspot, and for heavesn sake and your, DO NOT abruptly stop in front of them to make a turn. They have to pay a lot of road use taxes to support you and your family. Evereything you have or want is delivered by those truckers w/ "dangerous attitudes". Think about the next time you pass one only to turn a the next corner.

Bobbi Walls 8 years ago

If I have someone tailgating me, I just tap my brakes. If they hit me in the rear, it is their fault.

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

listen mr. and mrs. truck driver, when you are traveling on a 4 lane highway and going uphill do not pass another truck going one mile an hour slower and take three miles to pass . I do not think three seconds is bad but three miles is asking for trouble and I regularly will give it to you.

redwaggoner 8 years ago

wys..Touche! This irritates me too. But then consider that one rig is told by it's owner/company policy that they can't go any faster than 65 mph when others don't care how fast they go. But like you, I wonder why they didn't pass BEFORE they started up that hill! To these guys time is money, nd the more miles thay can cover in a day's time is more money in their pocket.

TheHeartlessBureaucrat 8 years ago

I had serious issues with truck drivers until I spent a bit of time with one. (my father in law) Knowing NOW the completely different way a truck acts based on load, speed and grade, I just give them as much room as possible. Yes, there are some problematic truckers out there. But in the condition of a collision, physics wins out over traffic law. More mass and more weight means the truck wins.

Just be careful and give em lots of room.

THB

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

the left lane is and has been for passing only, if there are people constantly driving in the passing lane why are these khp officers not giving tickets for that , also,,,,, and just for the #### of it try enforcing the BLINKER law. you know the little knob on the left side of the steering wheel that you can't reach because your left hand is occupied with a cell phone

redwaggoner 8 years ago

Mapmaker: Don't get behind me and tailgate me at 75MPH! Especially if the maximum safe speed designated for that roadway is 70! JUst think about it....Where are you going that you must drive 80 - 90 MPH & tailgate me just to make the next exit? Or once you have passed me, you slow down to the same 75 mph!

compmd 8 years ago

"Truckers also use radar detectors and do tailgate in a big way."

Last time I checked, a radar detector is one of the fastest ways to risk losing your CDL in any state. And tailgating? Do you really think that the drivers don't care about their quarter million dollar vehicles and their cargo? Do you really think the trucker behind the wheel wants to obliterate your Ford Festiva when you pull in front of him going 5mph slower than he is? Driving a semi isn't easy. The average American can barely figure out how to drive an automatic and use ABS brakes, and you have truckers operating 16-speed manual gearboxes and air brakes. Also, with the weight of the truck and cargo, it takes a lot of energy to accelerate the truck and a lot of dissipation to decelerate the truck. Once a trucker makes it to cruising speed, he really wants to stay there. And as far as speeding goes, ask truckers for major trucking companies about the speed limiters and black boxes. Some trucks are limited from going past 75mph. Others don't have the limiter, but the black box will tell the trucking company operator if the trucker was speeding and they will deal with him appropriately. The trucking company does not want a driver who is a liability to them.

For the regular tailgating jerk out on the highway, you should always remember how easy Kansas makes it to get a drivers license and how light most punishments are. And when you see a tailgater, remember that the most effective weapon against them is a swift and forceful application of the brake pedal.

redwaggoner 8 years ago

What's a turn signal for? Why should anyone signal. Doesn't every one read minds? Oh yes, isn't that left hand for holding a cigarette or a cell phone or your favorite beer!?.

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

redwaggoner Hmmm... I don't hate truckers that drive dangerously... I just try to stay as far away from them as I can... And I'm not going to brag about my driving but I don't do any of the dangerous things anyone is talking about here... And because we need things that they transport you think we shouldn't care that some of them drive dangerously...? Maybe you have a dangerous attitude, as well...

Wilbur_Nether 8 years ago

logrithmic wrote "Truckers violate the laws almost without impunity."

I suspect logrithmic ~meant~ "Truckers violate the laws WITH impunity." Otherwise, the rest of the post is counterintuitive.

imastinker 8 years ago

I drive about 75000 miles per year. Most are company miles, in all different kinds of vehicles. Mine are in a large pickup truck. I spend a lot of time on the highway.

In my experience, there are lots of jerks on the road, but truck drivers are some of the best drivers out there. Logarithmic - you do realize that truck drivers have a very small percentage of the accidents that the rest of use have per mile on the road? They spend the whole year on the road, and get few tickets and few accidents, or their CDL is revoked.

Kontum1972 8 years ago

there are alot* of jerks on the road who do not deserve a drivers license...

*way too many..!

local_support 8 years ago

Cops in the truck cabs? That's why you should hold the pipe down when you cruise past the big rigs!

yankeelady 8 years ago

A big part of the problem is that the highway system can't handle todays volume. And cars and big trucks don't mix well. I would like to see separate truck lanes on either side of the current lanes just for the trucks. Separate to the point that it is a completely different road..
I also think a lot of the cross country loads could be shipped by rail, then driven to their destination from central rail hubs. Not only would it cut down on miles driven, it would save fuel,and help prevent slow down deterioration of the roads due to the weight of the trucks, and of course cut down on the vehicles on the road.

verity 8 years ago

One weekend morning I was entering I-70 going toward Topeka from the East Lawrence entrance in my small Ford Ranger pickup. Tailgating me was a large pickup. I was going as fast as I safely could around the entrance ramp to keep out of the way of the pickup and to be up to speed entering the turnpike. As I approached the turnpike, I could see semi-trucks in both lanes coming at a very high rate of speed. I had a split second to decide it was better to slam on my brakes and chance being rear-ended by a large pickup than try to enter the turnpike and chance being rear-ended by a speeding semi. Fortunately the pickup behind me did not hit me, but then I of course did not have time to pick up enough speed to enter the turnpike safely.

I don't know about the legality of trucks passing in city limits where there are a number of on-ramps, but it certainly is dangerous. If there had been an accident, it most likely would have included a number of vehicles.

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

yankeelady I agree with all of that...

Confrontation 8 years ago

"Most of the time, the truck is not at fault," Turner said.

I'm sure that truckers are responsible for a lot more accidents than they admit. The other driver is usually dead or close to it, so they can't say much about what happened.

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

and... "only about 30 percent of accidents nationwide are caused by semitrailer drivers" Only? 30 percent seems rather high as semis don't seem to be any where near 30 percent of the traffic... Either I'm not reading this right or semis are causing more than thier share of a accidents...

mick 8 years ago

Mexican trucks are going to be allowed on our highways beginning Sep 1 despite the fact that Nancy Boyda authored a bill which passed 427-2 that would prohibit them. This White House is just in defiance of Congress and the Constitution. Also, the mainstream media seems to be in total compliance with it. The meetings for the North American Union begin today in Canada.

imastinker 8 years ago

the article said 5.7% of accidents involve large trucks. This likely includes a lot more than semis. Nowhere near 30%.

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

imastinker What I posted was a direct quote from the article, as well...

trinity 8 years ago

as long as we're talking about driving-would everybody PUHLEASE, please PLEASE be aware, conscientious, and alert to MOTORCYCLES??? when i'm on my scoot i am hyper vigilant, observe ALL rules of the road, and am constantly on top of things. BUT-sooo many ignoramus car/truck/whatever drivers scream up to stop signs along hiways, in town, etc; pass&move back in to our common lane nearly catching my front tire with their bumper-even though i've slowed down!; i could go on&on. sure there are crazy scooter enthusiasts who ride/drive irresponsibly; but us ol' folk who love a nice putt down the highway aren't of that persuasion.

do y'all think that just because a scooter is smaller, open, two wheeled, and such that they're easy to just manuever on a dime? not!

BE KIND TO ALL FELLOW DRIVERS! ESPECIALLY SCOOTER RIDERS!

Emily Hadley 8 years ago

I read about this program but I thought the trucks were just being used to conceal the troopers. They never mentioned that they were specifically looking for truck-car interaction.

As much as I wish the system were different, I have immense respect for truck drivers and always consider them to rule the road. I have always watched and copied the signals they use with one another as well as staying the heck out of their way.

I would like to personally thank whoever came up with the idea to emblazon "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you" on the back of trucks. Seeing those words spelled out absolutely changed the way I thought of their responsibility, and also made me much, much more conscious of my responsibility as a driver.

geekin_topekan 8 years ago

Stick an officer in any service vehicle on the hill!!He'd get carpelltunnel syndrome from writing tickets if he doesn't die laughing first.Just when you think that noone is THAT stupid..a KU student pulls another inconceivable stunt out of their..umm..hat.

compmd 8 years ago

75, sometimes the tailgater isnt there to pass you. sometimes they are there simply to harass you. happens a lot. because really, unless you are going too slow, there is no reason for tailgating on a multilane road or highway.

which reminds me of mr red audi a4 driver from johnson county i mentioned earlier this month. Im really not a misanthrope, but i have no problem giving someone a hearty helping of volvo rear bumper if they are going to tailgate and not pass thus demonstrating a lack of common courtesy.

oh, not sure if this is still the case, but unlike many states, kansas will give non commercial A and B class licenses. This is meant for farmers, but it also means that the responsibility required for a CDL isnt there. Log, its quite possible that the noncompliant trucks you were describing were farm trucks.

paavopetie 8 years ago

My girlfriend complains about the traffic on K-10. As if! I grew up in St. Louis, and traffic is really bad there. So those of you complaining about traffic on K-10, shut up. Why don't you pay the toll and drive on I-70 instead, if K-10 is so bad?

Additionally, I love articles like these because it gives people a place to vent. Like we really care about redwaggoner's bad traffic experiences.

I always give truck drivers plenty of room. You know why? It's just like the advice we got in cross country when running on the road "The car always wins." Well, on the road, the semi always wins.

And if the semi behind you is a little too close for your comfort, try to understand that the driver is just trying to conserve gas. They gain speed going downhill.

remember_username 8 years ago

I haven't commented in some time but the issue of large truck safety hit a sore spot with me. I consider myself a good driver and my record is excellent. I'm also considerate and understanding of those that commute regularly or make their living on the road. After over 30 years of driving I can tell you that the attitude (not necessarily skills) of nearly all drivers has greatly changed. The level of aggression and casual violations has grown to frightening levels and the larger the vehicle the more terrifying the results.

There was a time in my youth when the over the road trucker was like the knight of the highways. Truckers always stopped to rescue flat-tired damsels or would radio for help when asked. As kids we would delight at the blast of the horn in response to our pumping arms. The smile and wave that would come from "up there" above the road left us dreaming that a life as a trucker would be the life for us.

But now that has changed. We are all struggling with making ends meet and truckers are no different, getting by means making it from points A to B as rapidly and efficiently as possible and woe to those who get in our way. Between Lawrence and Kansas City the road is full of commuters who show the largest degree of aggressive behavior and if the Kansas Highway Petrol monitors this area I'm sure this is what they'll see.

However, the story seems to me to be different on I70 east of Kansas City to St. Louis, a road I regularly travel. On this stretch of road and other "non-commuter" interstates the behavior of the average trucker appears much more aggressive and the anti trucker complaints I've read above are ones I've observed - even worse.

I'll be the first to say I don't have any solutions and maybe it's just me, but I doubt it. Because these days when I pass a truck, or one passes me, my kids don't wave or pump their arms like I did in my youth, they become still and quiet like a small animal around a predator. Really too bad:

storm 8 years ago

If one is replacing their windshield at least four times over say sixteen years, they're probably following trucks too closely, and actually may be in the truck-driver's blind zone. (Best for someone to cut in your lane and take the rocks.) This TOPS program sounds like an excellent educational tool.

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

remember_username You're right about I-70 between KC and St. Louis...

As for K 10, I don't hardly ever see any semis between Lawrence and KC...

Confrontation 8 years ago

Like we really care about paavopetie's girlfriend's complaints.

juscin3 8 years ago

Just so you know, there is something called DOT. They are to pull over truckers from time to time even they will have a 72 hour window where thats all they do. They check for old, missing, torn, beat up mud flaps, if you are driving the legal time limit, mufflers hounding loudly, etc. My husband is a owner operator and he takes care of the driver behind him, in front, and on the side. There was a mustang in KC (of course) that pulled right in front of him just to make a u-turn. People like that are asking to be in an accident. There are alot of laws concerning a truck driver. There are more things to have with a CDL. I to used to be on the bandwagon cussing and complaining of being behind a trucker, but now that I had the experience of riding with my hubby, I now respect them more. Heck, I even learned to flash my headlights to let them know they can get over in the lane in front of me. Out of courtesy of the trucker, they flash their hazards to let me know that they appreciate that. Being a trucker is like a whole different world. I have heard that the deputies, dot's riding with truckers, but remember, its not just for the fellow driver in an SUV, car, or whatever...they are watching the truckers too. I have seen myself what some other truckers do while they are driving and can't believe they do that and give the others a bad name for it. Think about the next time a trucker is "making you mad" cuz they are goin slow. They might be hauling something that you are going to buy once it hits the shelves.

BTW, if a kid waves or pulls their arm like they want the trucker to honk their horn, my hubby will. I know cuz my kids have done it to him when we were beside him and he done that. Kids loved it. He knows what kids like. He will toot the ol'horn for ya! :)

Johnny_Dryline 8 years ago

Sounds like these pigs want to use our tax dollars to play hide and go seek. Us troopers finally gitz to plays undercovers. Don't let the trooper's statement of "We want to educate the drivers." BS, everyone knows the rules, save your BS PR for the DARE program. F Troopers

and......

F Semis

Don't let the "facts" fool you, if you are involved in a wreck with a truck driver who has been tweaking for 43 hours straight because he's seeing superman flying next to him after hitting his meth pipe, your chances of survival are about as much as a burning plane that noses into the pacific.

More trains, less semis. Ever wonder what our highways would be without semis? Less traffic accidents. Get a real job.

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

average Thanks for the information...

lunacydetector 8 years ago

merrill drives 70 mph? THAT is WASTING fuel!!! you are wasting a precious natural resource (oil) by driving so fast, plus you are contributing to the destruction of our planet. what kind of mileage does a 1982 volvo wagon get at 70 mph while spewing smoke out the back end? if this wasn't you, forget i asked. it had a greenpeace bumper sticker and an "I believe Anita" bumper sticker. like i said, if this wasn't you, forget i asked.

livinthedream 8 years ago

Mr Dryline-you won't get a lot of responses to your post from truck drivers because they are behind a wheel today not behind a desk typing on the LJWORLD. Who needs to get a real job? By the way, my husband drives for a living in KC, and has NEVER "tweaked" for 43 hours straight, as a matter of fact he has never tweaked.

imastinker 8 years ago

I don't think most people realize what does consititute too close. On my pickup, people will frequently follow so closely that I cannot see the whole car over the tailgate. At night, the problem is even worse. They have to be back far enough to see the headlights.

You can't blame bad driving on one group or another. When I am pulling a trailer with my truck, peopel pull out in front of me more often that otherwise. I think they don't want to get stuck behind someone pulling a big trailer. Truck drivers do bad things too, like tailgating to get someone to move into the right lane.

I'm not buying that 30% number though. Rereading the paragraph, I think he meant 30% of the 5% figure, not 30% of all accidents. There's no way that 30% of all accidents involve a large truck.

storm 8 years ago

It is never logical to drive in one's blind zone. Replacing broken windshields may be proof of following too closely or simply that one drives an awful lot. All vehicles spew debris.

JSpizias 8 years ago

This enforcement effort illustrates very vividly the role of money and power in determining who is targeted. The trucking lobby has a lot of money and influence (and ex Governor Bill Graves as head of the association) so they tend to get what they want in the Kansas legislature. I drive a number of times a year from KC to St. Louis and from KC to Emporia and what I have seen suggests that truckers are a major part of the problem, of much more concern that non-truck drivers. Moreover, when a smash up occurs and someone dies it is usually someone in the vehicle(s) other than the truck. Normally I set my speed control at about 73-74 mph in areas with a speedlimit of 70. In my experience, during these drives I will have several truckers run up on my bumper until they are 3-4 ft from my rear. If I slow down, I stand a strong chance of becoming a greasespot in the road (road kill). Therefore the only rational thing to do is to speed up and try and put several cars between myself and the trucker. I off course run the risk of getting ticketed for speeding, however, it seems that this is a better choice than getting killed. I don't deny that there are some drivers of cars, SUVs, and small trucks that do the same thing. However, based on the laws of physics I had much rather get hit from behind by a car than a tandem trailer truck. I might add that I am a very law abiding driver with a sterling safety record. I have had less than a half-dozen moving violations in my lifetime; the last one was in Kansas in 1993.

stuckinthemiddle 8 years ago

Are trucks even 5% of the traffic on highways? They aren't on K 10 and I'm not sure that they are on I-70... And if they are suppose to be such great drivers because they are professional and experienced, being the cause of 30% of the accidents that they are involed in seems rather high...

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

put it all on the railroad like most of it use to be and have only local delivery trucks. think of the fuel savings and fewer semis to have to put up with on the highways

purplesage 8 years ago

Troopers and truckers will make a great enforcement team. Neither thinks the law applies to them. Certainly, there are safe and courteous truck drivers and there are law enforcement officers who obey the traffic (and other) laws they are to enforce. But large numbers of both pay no attention to speed limits. And it is remarkable how many trucks and patrol cars have broken turn signal indicators.

average 8 years ago

Stuckinthemiddle -

If you're curious, you can find traffic survey maps at: http://www.ksdot.org/burtransplan/maps/MapsTrafficDist.asp (click the inset page for these numbers)

14% of vehicles on I-70 between Lawrence and Topeka are trucks. 17% of vehicles on I-70 between Lawrence and KC are trucks 5% of vehicles on K-10 are trucks (that number would skyrocket if the SLT were complete).

compmd 8 years ago

"what kind of mileage does a 1982 volvo wagon get at 70 mph while spewing smoke out the back end? "

On the highway, roughly 21-22mpg (assuming a B23 powered 245, Marion can correct me if I'm mistaken), and usually they don't spew smoke out the back unless they have been horrendously abused. I got 30mpg out of my 1987 Volvo 745 with a B230F engine mated to an AW70 tranny, and 25-28mpg in my 1988 Volvo 744 with a B320F/M47. No burning of anything from either. Don't be hatin' on the Volvo, man.

juststrugglin 8 years ago

Truckers Tweakin???? Truckers have to pass a health test and most companies have drug testing. Ever hear of a log book. I come from a family of truckers. I have even have a cdl, don't choose to use it. Its a lot of work, I give all who drive a Semi respect. They just don't jump in their volvo and go. They inspect their trucks before they leave. I won't disagree that there are semis and the drivers out there that should not be on the road, but all I know are safe and good drivers. The real tweakers are those who are racin back to Johnson County or back to West Lawrence.