Archive for Thursday, August 16, 2007

Political solution

August 16, 2007

To the editor:

Here awhile back there was an article about Sen. Pat Roberts and his fundraising event with President Bush and others out in Wichita. Mr. Roberts was bragging about the $600,000 he raised in that one day.

I'm not a person who believes that someone gives anyone that kind of money without expecting to get a real nice return on it. If that kind of money doesn't put Mr. Roberts in their hip pocket then why in the world would they do it? This was a business move on their part and most likely on Mr. Roberts' part, and we will most likely find out it was some people who need something from the Armed Services Committee that Roberts is on.

The president was there because Roberts has been one of the best "yes men" the president has had for the last six years. If Mr. Roberts wasn't a "yes man" for the president maybe they could have used some common sense to control this situation in Iraq. Or maybe we could have stopped this war before it happened.

If this isn't a perfect example of a lobby buying a Senate seat, then I can't imagine a better one.

The system is broken and crooked, and we can fix it this year.

We need to stop voting for a party and start voting for the person.

I would love to see an independent candidate and an independent party become a major part of our political process.

Jim King,

Perry

Comments

KS 7 years ago

Jim: We had one of those independent candidates once. His name was Ross Perot. I didn't vote for him because of obvious reasons, but Perot was the reason that Bill "Willie - here let me drop my zipper" Clinton got elected. You see where that got us!

Ragingbear 7 years ago

Sen. Roberts has only been present to vote on 40% of all bills that he was required to vote on. One of the lowest in the senate. Yet he is quite vocal about his views and touting changes to the law. One can make changes to the law when your a senator and do your job. Try voting for somebody that does your job. And for those idiots that think he will be a good president, then there should be a law requiring all of you to get a thorough mental and psychological evaluation. Blood test as well, probably heavy metal poisoning.

Ragingbear 7 years ago

Actually, Perot had many strong points. But there were several factors that cost him the election. The first was that he was an Independent. The second was that he was not something like a senator or congressman. He also had an issue that he was focusing on the National Debt, while the other contenders were focusing on other issues. That term's "hot topics". Would be like arguing about foreign trade policy when everyone else is focused on illegal immigration or the war in Iraq.

However, Perot did have a history of being more American than many politicians. Did you know that he gathered and financed a group of mercenaries to go into Iran and rescue a group of American P.O.W.'s that the US had decided to deny the existence of? He was not only successful, but there were no casualties. He did have a history of a strong business practices as well, but was probably far better suited to be the Secretary of the Treasury.

Did I vote for him? No. While I don't think it was a huge deal that he got his bow-shika-wow-wow on with an intern, I do not condone it. But at the same time I do not see it having any bearing on what he actually did as president. Other than appearances.

BigAl 7 years ago

right_thinker... Do you remember what Perot said about lobbyists? He had a pretty good line but I have forgotten what it was. Something about aligator shoes and how they would all be gone. One of my favorites was watching the General up against the VP's. I was embarrased for him. And he was a good man.

Also, Roberts is no different than almost any other politician, dem or rep. They all gotta raise the money to keep it going.

BigAl 7 years ago

scenebooster.... Great point!

BigAl 7 years ago

Thanks RT. That's it!! He definitely made politics fun. If memory serves, I think he carried a huge portion of Western Kansas.

Stain 7 years ago

Roberts is the worst Bush yes-man in the Senate. He has protected, defended, stonewalled, parroted, shushed, and obstructed on behalf of the worst president in U.S. history, tirelessly and relentlessly.

Roberts needs to go. Kansas can do better.

Speakout 7 years ago

It seems to me that they do it themselves now.

BigDog 7 years ago

I wonder if Mr. King has the same complaints about our current Governor who started fundraising from lobbyists as soon as the legislature adjourned for the year ...... and she can't seek re-election ..... so she must be planning her next campaign and being bought by lobbyists. Does money influence policy? Your damn right it does it some cases ....... and on both sides of the aisle. I've seen it happen first hand ...... even been told by state legislators how legislative leaders have reminded them about how a major industry provides a lot of campaign money and elections were coming up ..... this was in a caucus before voting on a bill that many wanted killed. I have witnessed it on the other side of aisle on education and union issues.

dagopman 7 years ago

Mr. King is a frequent "letter to the editor" writer from Perry, KS. Problem is, most of his comments come straight from the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. Talk to folks in the Perry area and they just roll their eyes.

Bill Chapman 7 years ago

My one fear about the upcoming election is that we will have another Clinton in the White House. The military had just started to recover from cut-backs when we got into this war - everyone is talking about the draft being reinstated due to low recruitment. If she gets into office the U.S. is going to get another military pruning - either in manpower or budget (maybe both!).

dagopman 7 years ago

My friends in Perry still roll their eyes when the name Jim King is mentioned and they believe in the evolutionary process, they just don't believe we evolved from monkeys. Even the monkeys would roll their eyes at Jim King.

Bill Chapman 7 years ago

If people are not willing to fight for freedom, then freedom is lost. - a (probably messed up) quote, from who I can't remember. A nation without an armed force is no longer a viable nation. I wish it wasn't needed, but without a national defense force, no nation can be taken seriously at this time in history. The main problem with the military prior to Bush(I am NOT a Bush supporter), was the cutbacks resulted in a loss of "cadre" - the experienced core of any fighting force(usually combat veterans), and loss of funds for materials/ equipment. The U. S. is paying for that now - we were NOT ready to be an occupying force (Humvee needed to be armored, the issued body armor does not consistently stop enemy bullets, there was a lack of training involving counter-resistance methods, etc.). There are military members in Iraq who are BUYING their own equipment because what they have is sub-standard (I learned from a friend that many troops buy their body armor rather than use the issued armor, provided they can afford to and can do so without getting in trouble).

country 7 years ago

First things first, i have lived at Perry for 35 years and the people here are some of the best people in the world. the next thing is that Perot wouldn't have had us in Iraq, or helping 12 million illegals. i would vote for him over all the other canidates. yes i would complain about the governor but she isn't up for reelection. i can see you people really have a good time with this but i'm not here to have fun. i'm just here to tell you Perry is the kind of town anyone would feel good about raising their kids in!!