Archive for Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Reminder: Don’t leave pets in hot cars

August 14, 2007

It's against city law to leave dogs unattended in a vehicle for more than five minutes when temperatures are higher than 80 degrees. Yet, in the past three months, as temperatures have climbed, several police reports have been filed about dogs left in vehicles.

On Saturday, when it was 95 degrees, a dog was left in a car at Dillons parking lot, 3000 W. Sixth St., according to a police report.

"I think it's crazy," said Midge Grinstead, director of the Lawrence Humane Society.

She said dogs heat up from the inside, and it takes them a long time to cool down. She also said that when they pant they are taking in hot air, which just exacerbates the problem.

The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory that is in effect until 7 p.m. today. Jennifer Schack, 6News chief meteorologist, said to expect a high today of 102 degrees with a heat index of 110. The heat index measures how hot it feels when relative humidity is added to the actual temperature.

The heat advisory states that "pets can succumb to the effects of the excessive heat" and that they need plenty of water and shade.

"Do not keep pets in cars with the windows rolled up, even partially. Temperatures inside a car with the windows rolled up can reach over 150 degrees quickly, resulting in stroke and death," the advisory states.

Grinstead said she has picked up some dogs that were comatose.

Animal control officers typically respond to these calls, but Lawrence police respond if animal control officers aren't available.

Lawrence police Sgt. Paul Fellers said officers will issue a citation for animal cruelty if there is a clear violation. He said if there are questionable circumstances, officers will forward the report to Municipal Court for possible charges.

Schack said slightly cooler weather is in the forecast, with temperatures expected in the 90s Thursday.

"Hopefully, it will be a slow and steady decline into the weekend," she said.

Comments

concernedparent 7 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe people need to be reminded not to leave their pets in the car...

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 4 months ago

Well, some people need practical advice.

Centrist 7 years, 4 months ago

Same people who let their kids play all day long in 100deg heat ...

rlmtyco 7 years, 4 months ago

I almost called on someone on Sunday, they had their dog in the car outside Family Video with the car not running and the windows sealed shut, the only reason I didnt cuz it was directly infront of the store in the handicapped spot, even though they didnt have the tags for that, I assumed they would only be a minute...still bothered me though

bugmenot 7 years, 4 months ago

Wait, you're saying you saw a car parked illegally in a handicapped spot with a dog inside it with the windows rolled up and you didn't call the police? What else would have needed to be happening to make you call?

kmat 7 years, 4 months ago

Why the heck would you not call the cops?????? Do you like to see animals die and truely handicapped people not have a parking spot? What has happened to this city?

Anyone that leaves an animal in a hot car needs to be locked up in the same car until they pass out. We need to start requiring pet licenses in Lawrence like they do in most other cities. It makes ignorant hacks like these think about whether they want a pet when they have to pay a yearly fee to keep it. Then we can fund Animal Control and the shelter with these funds.

KEEP YOUR PETS AT HOME WHEN IT'S HOT!!!!!

Kat Christian 7 years, 4 months ago

Just last week there was a dog in a car at Dillons on Mass Street. I always first go into the store and ask to announce over the loudspeaker whoever left a dog in their car to go to it immediately. I then go back outside and count to 60 (1 min. I give them) if they are not out I call the police. Then I ream them out. So you folks out there who leave kids or dogs in your cars to run in the store you BETTER watch out for me because I AM on the lookout for this and I will Call the police in a MINUTE.

Kat Christian 7 years, 4 months ago

P.S. If you CAN'T be responsible for those who are in your care and depend on you then get someone else to do it or don't have children or animals.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 4 months ago

"I can't believe people need to be reminded not to leave their pets in the car:"

I can't either. Apparently even the ones who enforce the cruelty laws do as well. I just saw this this morning:

Really sad.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow. He forgot the police dog was in the car? WOW.

concernedparent 7 years, 4 months ago

Reminder, Don't forget to wipe your butt after crapping

lily 7 years, 4 months ago

Priceless concernedparent!!!! No accounting for stupidity where these animal owners are concerned. My dog has to stay outside while we're gone during the day but he has his own air conditioned garage with a private doggy door entrance!! Spoiled? Yep, but then he's one of the kids.
The story about the officer floors me. The dog was his partner!!!!!!!!

kmat 7 years, 4 months ago

Damn logic. That really ticks me off. Just confirms my opinions of local law enforcement. Having parents that can drive, but need a walker to make it into a store makes me want to just take a baseball bat to any car illegally parked in a handicapped space (but of course I would be in trouble but the person who illegally parked would be off scott free). Knowing that the police won't do anything, I think I'll have to make a point of ridiculing anyone that illegally uses a handicapped spot. That might make the shopping trip a little more fun and might make others think first about taking a spot away from someone that really needs it.

And on the note of abusing animals in the heat, a dog died in Shawnee this morning and it's mate almost did because morons left them with no water on their apartment balcony in the blazing sun. Didn't take long to kill the one dog and the other was close to death before the cops showed up. Too many morons have pets. I won't let my dog out for more than a couple of minutes in this heat, unless he's floating in his pool (supervised).

concernedparent 7 years, 4 months ago

Didn't that just happen with a police dog pretty locally? Somewhere in Kansas I know....

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 4 months ago

concernedparent,

It was in Atchison or Nemaha county I believe. Speaking of children, parents, and hot cars, here is an article from Wichita

These parents accidentally locked their car with their 7-week old baby inside, and then waited for rescuers to break the windows and get the baby out. Considering I would break someone else's car window to get a dog out if it were unattended for more than a few minutes, I would be using anything that I could find to break my car windows if I left my child inside. I mean, c'mon.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 4 months ago

If you have a hotdog in your car, I'd suggest getting a little mustard and a soft bun.

Tychoman 7 years, 4 months ago

"Poor little guy probably kept up with you for a mile or so then...just gave up. Here's the leash."

Family Vacation.

I reserve the right to destroy anyone who leaves their dog in the car for more than 30 seconds.

concernedparent 7 years, 4 months ago

TOB just take them to the Perry Pub. You can actually take them in with you there.

gr 7 years, 4 months ago

Why are people bringing their dogs with them in the first place?

Surely not because, "I won't even leave my two dogs oustside for extended periods of time when it gets real hot"

I wonder what dogs did before people owned them?

bearded_gnome 7 years, 4 months ago

Hi Jennifer, and thanks for forcasting some relief!
btw, you used "hopefully" inappropriately, when you should have said "I hope" instead of hopefully which is a real old fashioned adjective. now all that done, you're a great meteorologist not given to panic. thanks.

I think the only solution is to dramaticly increase the fine for animal cruelty since we want to stop this apparent epidemic of dumbass' leaving their dependant critter in a terribly hot car.

cricket 7 years, 4 months ago

Hello there! I am new to this site but I would like to weigh in on this. On Monday night I was getting ready to put groceries in my car at Walmart. I looked over to the car on my left. There was a dog in the car and the windows were rolled up all the way. Me being a dog lover and having 2 of my own, this made me angry (there is another word I would like to use and it starts with a p...ed). So I am looking at this dog and wondering how long it has been in there and I am wanting to get it some water or help. I locate an attendant that was collecting carts and asked him if he could page this person. I didn't know how long the owner of the car had been in the store. I was at walmart right after work and probably in there for an hour or so. The car wasn't there when I went in. Anyway, he came back out and said that he did that and that was all they really could do and I was standing there getting madder by the minute. So I called the police and gave them the description of the car and tag #. They said they would send an officer out. The owner of the car came out and I asked her why she left her dog in the car with the windows rolled up, she said she was only in there for a few minutes. She said the car was nice and cool inside. I called time and temp and the temp was 95 degrees at approx 7:20 or so. She also couldn't believe that I had called the police on her. I also told her that you do not leave pets or babies in cars when it is so hot outside. Also, I just hope that if they did catch up with her that they gave her a citation or a warning. She left the parking lot before the police came and I had to call them back and tell them that she left too. I am passionate about pets being left in cars and if the dog was so important to her she would have left it at home in the a/c. that is all I have to say.

Tychoman 7 years, 4 months ago

GR dogs aren't native to this kind of climate, even if they were, they'd migrate to someplace cooler.

gr 7 years, 4 months ago

"dogs aren't native to this kind of climate,"

Really?!

Better get out more. And/or find out what "dog" is.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

It is sad that people need this reminder, yet they do.....I will admit, though, that I had my AC running full blast in my car the other day and stopped at Kwikshop, ran in, grabbed a soda, paid and left. My dog was in the car with the windows shut. However, I knew I was running in and out and that the car would still be cool in that 45 second span of time, which it was......BUT, that also acknowledges that I have common sense while some do not.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

gr (Anonymous) says:

Why are people bringing their dogs with them in the first place?

I wonder what dogs did before people owned them?

GR, some people, like myself and my roommate, take our dog with us as much as possible because he spends all day in a kennel inside as it is when we are gone and he likes to travel. He loves rides in the car. He's our little buddy.

cricket 7 years, 4 months ago

my dog travels with me when i visit relatives out of state. on our way home from a recent trip i made a stop at a favorite taco place (not taco bell either) in topeka. i had wanted to lock my car with the dog in there and have the a/c running too. but it didn't work so i did the next best thing. i left the car running with a/c full blast and i put sticky notes on the windshield, the driver and passenger door windows indicating that the a/c was on. i was at the front counter and i could see my dog sitting on my dash waiting for my return. when i left the taco place, there was some folks that thought my notes were awesome and they thanked me for doing that and they thought my dog was cute too.

i normally don't take her to town with me, but maybe around the town that i live in to get mail or stuff like that. i would never ever take her to walmart, the grocery store for any extended period of time.

and it is truly sad that people have to be reminded not to do that and that common sense (sp) goes right out the window. maybe the heat melted all of their brain cells.

i am done and will get off the soap box.

s

gr 7 years, 4 months ago

"and he likes to travel"

Pitiful reason.

In that case, I won't feel bad if the cops get you for leaving the dog in the car. Even if it was only 45 seconds.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

GR, you are an idiot. Apparently you took the reason you deemed most pitiful as the entire reason. If you actually read what I wrote, he spends all day in kennel, so when I get home, I want to put him in there as little as possible. No cops or anyone else complained because I could see my dog ten feet away from me. Why is it necessary to attack someone?

gr 7 years, 4 months ago

Name calling makes your point better, eh?

Do you think anyone wants their beloved pet to cook? Do you think it was intentional?

They are no different than you. Your reasons are why pets cook to death.
'he wanted to come along. only went in for a minute. there was a sale. saw a friend. time slipped by.'

There should be a ban of having pets travel in cars except for the vet, kennel, or moving.