Archive for Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Quinn, Browns finally come to terms

August 8, 2007


Brady Quinn and the Cleveland Browns finally got a deal done.

The first-round draft pick ended his 11-day holdout Tuesday, agreeing to a five-year deal with the Browns.

Quinn was to fly to Browns' headquarters to sign the contract, Browns general manager Phil Savage said. The language of the deal was still being finalized.

The holdout has essentially ended any chance Quinn had to win the starting job in camp.

"He'll get here early and he'll stay late," coach Romeo Crennel said. "I know if you put those kind of hours in and study, you'll have a chance. Plus, I believe he's a smart kid also - on reports by some people I know."

Crennel and Quinn's college coach, Charlie Weis of Notre Dame, worked together with the Patriots and are good friends.

The deal, worth $20.2 million, with $7.75 million guaranteed, could reach $30 million over five years with incentives. Quinn was to be introduced to the media today.

The competition for the Browns' starting job has become a two-man contest between Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson.

"It's unfortunate that it took this long to get done," Savage said. "I feel like it's a deal that we potentially could have done at the start of camp."

Quinn, a four-year starter at Notre Dame, was projected as a top 10 pick in April's draft. When he slipped deeper into the first round, the Browns traded a 2008 first-round pick to Dallas and selected the Ohio native and childhood Browns fan at No. 22.


Left tackle Walter Jones returned to practice for the first time in five days with a still-sore right shoulder. Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren insists he isn't worried about Jones' health.

"He's going to be fine. He's fine," Holmgren said after Jones spent the morning in the training room before walking out to watch the last 15 minutes of practice.


Terrell Owens returned to practice after missing two days because of back spasms, and is expected to play in the preseason opener.

"At this point, there's no reason for me not to," Owens said after the 1-hour, 45-minute practice, the team's last full workout inside the Alamodome.

"I think he'll be ready for the game," coach Wade Phillips said.


Left tackle Jammal Brown bruised his right knee and will most likely sit out the Saints' first preseason game.

"The encouraging thing is there wasn't any ligament damage the doctors were able to find," on an MRI or an X-ray, coach Sean Payton said. "So, we're fortunate and obviously that's a big relief."

Earlier Tuesday, trainers carted Brown from the practice field when he crumpled to the ground with a right knee injury. He was diagnosed with a bone bruise.


Backup linebacker Gerris Wilkinson will miss at least two-to-three weeks after dislocating his right knee in practice. A second-year player from Georgia Tech, Wilkinson was hurt in a pileup during a 9-on-7 drill Monday night.

"There is no ligament damage, which is the good part," coach Tom Coughlin said.

Bears-Patriots Trade

New England acquired cornerback Dante Wesley from Chicago for an undisclosed pick in next year's draft. Wesley signed a two-year contract with the Bears in March 2006 after spending four seasons with Carolina.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.