Archive for Sunday, April 29, 2007

Pedestrian hit by car identified

April 29, 2007, 2:12 a.m. Updated April 30, 2007, 12:30 a.m.

6News video: Pedestrian hit by car early Sunday morning

Around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning, a young man was struck by a car on the 1000 block of Tennessee Street. The injured man did not suffer life-threatening injuries in the accident. Enlarge video

A 21-year-old man was flown to an area hospital after being struck by a car early Sunday morning but the injuries he suffered were not life-threatening, according to Sgt. David Hubbel of the Lawrence Police Department.

A Kansas University senior who lived near the scene, Jon Silverberg, said several police cars, fire trucks and an ambulance responded to the accident. They remained on the scene until about 3 a.m. or later, he said.

Kuestersteffen was taken by helicopter to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. A nursing supervisor said that as of Sunday night, he was no longer at the hospital.

Police did not release any information Sunday about the vehicle or driver involved in the accident.

Comments

jhawk0097 8 years, 3 months ago

"Kyle Kuestersteffen was hit about 1:30 a.m. in the middle of the 1000 block of Tennessee Street."

Like I said, drunk college kid. Anyone who's driven down Tennessee at 1:30 AM knows what I'm talking about.

prairie_girl 8 years, 3 months ago

I do not care for the new design....it is difficult to find anything

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

I like a few elements of it, but I agree with you. Especially when I try to follow conversations I am having on the boards. You can click your name and see your comments, but it will not tell where your comment is, nor a way to get there. I also do not like the new category system, as it has been over generalized and dumbed down. The search feature has never really worked.

Raiden 8 years, 3 months ago

I sincerely hope this pedestrian is not badly injured and recovers quickly. This is the second pedestrian hit by a car in this block or one next to it. Perhaps it is time to take a close look at managing the flow of traffic in this area before someone is killed. There is a lot of pedestrian traffic in this area at all hours of the day and night.....maybe a cross walk with a light like there is by the pool or on Mass by South Park. It would be nice to see something preventative done so there isn't a fatality.

jhawk0097 8 years, 3 months ago

Oh, gimme a break. I live at 11th and Kentucky. The problem isn't traffic flow, it's wasted college kids running in front of automobiles that often contain wasted college drivers. 100 bucks says one or both people involved were drunk KU students.

JayViking 8 years, 3 months ago

jhawk is probably right, but some lighted crosswalks COULDNT hurt.

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

Why don't you all stop blaming the victims. It's cellphone drivers, and in the evening it's drunk drivers. Maybe is the LPD would stop allowing races on these streets (right in front of them), we would get less of this.

b_asinbeer 8 years, 3 months ago

Very poor lighting in the area at night.

Laura Watkins 8 years, 3 months ago

i don't mean to blame the victim here because i don't know what happened, but i do agree with jhawk-- i live at 12th and tennessee and it's not uncommon for drunk kids to walk across the street (not at a crosswalk) and narrowly avoid being hit by a car. at the same time, it's not uncommon for people to drive seriously drunk and do really foolish things like drive the wrong way down the street or try to turn right from the left lane (and vice versa). i think there should be more checkpoints on the kentucky/tennessee streets.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 3 months ago

I once saw a older couple driving the wrong way on the bridge if you can believe that, it was scary as heck was so glad that no one hit them. Was just waiting for the crunch of metal and all but luck prevailed thank goodness.

meadowbreeze 8 years, 3 months ago

The speed limit could be lowered. The police don't stop you unless you're way above the limit, like around 7 mph. Cars come racing down both TN and KY around 40 mph to screech to a halt at the next light. I've seen accidents at KY & 9th and KY & 10th. If 1.) the speed limit were lowered to 25 mph and 2.) the lights properly timed to encourage it and 3.) the police would enforce anything over 32 mph and 4.) everyone would stop being in denial that there is an alcohol consumption problem in Lawrence in general and KU in specific, maybe, just maybe, they'd enforce DUI laws. Until then TN and KY will continue to be the killing fields.

alanc 8 years, 3 months ago

Several years ago I was stopped by LPD on Tennessee after midnight. They gave me a field sobriety test. I hadn't had a drink for days so, of course, I passed OK. While I was talking with the cop about the dangers of driving late at night with drunk college students jumping out into the road, he revealed that the main reason he had stopped me (technical reason was busted license plate light) was the fact that I was driving well below the speed limit! Now I avoid that area altogether after 10pm.

hawklet21 8 years, 3 months ago

I used to live in this area too, and really the only safe place to cross Tennessee is at the light at 14th. At 1in the morning ESPECIALLY it is hard for drivers to avoid the masses of drunkies running all around the neighborhood, but it is also hard for those traveling on foot to notice reckless drivers flying around everywhere. There really isn't much to do, but more lighting and established crosswalks would probably keep just a few people safer.

achtung 8 years, 3 months ago

all valid points especially about the lack of lighting. why are these streets so dark at night? all this money, all these taxes and our streets are so dark! and potholes, i know mother nature wreaks havoc on our streets but for crying out loud, something needs to be done.
and don't blame the police, cripes. i drive pizzas at night and there is quite a police presence in this are at night. there are kids crying on the curb, leaning out of cars, dashing across the street. we need to police ourselves. driving through this area? slow down. you and a group of friends walking home? yell at your friend who wants to do pushups in the road. and for crying out loud don't drive drunk!

Mike Blur 8 years, 3 months ago

To clarify thins for jayhawk0097 and others, the girl who was hit at 11th and Kentucky a few years ago was not "wasted"--in fact she was walking home from work at the Granada (she lived at 13th and Tn) when she was struck by a motorist running a red light.

I lived at the corner of 11th and Tenn for five years. During that time, I witnessed (either saw or heard) about seven-eight accidents. Practically every one was caused by a driver running a red light (there was one drunk that wrapped around a tree in my front yard.) Half the time the red-light-runner was the driver rolling downhill on 11th!

I place my bet that the driver in this instance--wasted or not--ran a red light.

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

I came close to hitting some idiot on Tennessee yesterday. There were cars less than half a block away from him, yet he decided to sloooooowly walk across the street. He just turned and looked at us as we slammed on our breaks. His ugly smile was enough to make me want to hit the gas. Of course, I didn't want to damage my car. He seemed like a waste of life, so saving him was not my motive.

esl03 8 years, 3 months ago

Its odd... A pedestrian was hit on Vermont and they didnt post it! But OH LORD!!! If a dumb drunk or maybe not so drunk person gets hit at early morning hours they dont get a jaywalking ticket the driver gets an inatentive driving ticket... Plus they post it here

floydmaster 8 years, 3 months ago

I was at the scene shortly after the accident and saw the kid being put on the stretcher and then into the ambulance. The kid was hit before the light at 11th, so the driver didn't run the light. According to witnesses, he was very drunk and stepped out in front of a car, nowhere near a crosswalk. As far as I could tell, the driver wasn't drunk, although I don't know this for sure.

Baille 8 years, 3 months ago

Blaming the victim is a concept heavily emphasized in social work. However, it is often misused by both those within and without the field.

If the kid was drunk AND he stepped out in front of a car then he shares some fault at least. If he was drunk and on the sidewalk then he doesn't. Any blame placed on teh victim in the latter example would indeed be blaming the victim for a wrong perpetrated by another.

In any case, I hate the new design. Hard to find the same news I could find before. Old stories don't seemed to be archived in an intuitive manner. (For instance, where is the Tom Ebling story?) The new color scheme is aesthetically offensive to the point that prolonged reading of the news on ljworld.com causes my eyes to bleed.

spaftan 8 years, 3 months ago

I was a witness for the accident and I must say that floydmaster and biggunz have the most accurate comments on this page. I saw the entire thing. The pedestrian was very intoxicated, and he did not "step" into the street, he deliberately lunged at the car to try to scare it as I took it and stuck his head smack dab into the car. From what the police said he was an angry drunk because of a party getting broken up, so right before the incident he was punching walls and starting verbal fights with people on the sidewalk. He ran down to his car, very angry and beligerant and threw his head towards the side mirror. The car did not run a red light and the driver was no where near drunk. So not only was the victim a little bit at fault but he was entirely at fault. I suggest you guys get the story straight before making these redicolous assumptions.

davisnin 8 years, 3 months ago

People get hit and sometimes it is their fault. There's no need for stadium lights and stop lights and raised crosswalks every 14 feet.

New layout sucks

leadrain 8 years, 3 months ago

Poor lighting? Seriously? How schnockered do you have to be to NOT see bright, white light approaching in a roadway? Heck, Tennesee street is a one-way so his job was already half taken care of. Turn your head, say " WHOOAAAA " and continue on to ingest more booze. Or, talk ( far too loudly) with your buds and step into traffic to become the most recent street pizza.