Archive for Sunday, April 29, 2007

3 dead in shooting at Kansas City shopping mall

April 29, 2007, 6:16 p.m. Updated April 29, 2007, 10:03 p.m.

— A man driving a dead woman's car shot a police officer, then opened fire in a parking lot and a mall Sunday, authorities said. By the end of the day, four people, including the gunman, were dead.

Police shot the gunman to death outside a Target store inside Ward Parkway Center in south Kansas City, police spokesman Tony Sanders said.

Target employee Cassie Bradshaw, 19, was in a break room with two other people when they heard shots. Then, her co-workers saw a man in his 50s with a rifle "shooting everywhere," she said.

"It sounded like maybe firecrackers at first, but then they got louder and louder and louder, and it sounded like someone shooting a gun," she said outside the mall after completing her first shift at the retailer.

"I was scared, and then we opened the door and the two other people that were with me saw the guy."

The string of violence began early Sunday afternoon, when police went to a home to check on an elderly woman relatives hadn't seen for days. The woman was found dead and her car missing, Sanders said.

The car was spotted later in the day at a gas station by an officer, who pulled the driver over and was shot in the arm as he attempted to arrest the man, police said. The 44-year-old veteran officer, whose wound was not life-threatening, returned fire and shattered a window of the gunman's car.

The car took off and reports began arriving about 10 to 15 minutes later of shots fired at the shopping center. The man pulled into a parking space and fired at the cars on either side of him, killing two people, authorities said. He fired more shots, wounding at least two people, then went inside the mall, Sanders said. His weapon was described as a "long gun."

"Of course the mall was crowded with hundreds of people," Sanders told reporters. "Everybody was leaving the mall when the officers ran inside. They confronted the man and after confronting him, shot and killed him."

Police did not say how the elderly woman died, or if the gunman was a suspect in her death. But they did say they believed the events were connected.

The mall, one of the city's busiest shopping centers, was shut down and officers were going through each store to see if anyone else might have been involved or was wounded, Sanders said.

The gunman and victims' names were not immediately released, and conditions of the wounded were not available.

Police said there were potentially hundreds of witnesses. Some of them were loaded into buses outside the mall, including Aaron Washington, 34, a Target worker.

"I was on lunch and when I came back to the store, we could hear the shooting off in the distance, and that's when people starting coming out the front and side doors," he said. "The only person that we saw (who was injured) was a black gentleman that came out that was holding his eye. I guess he got shot in the head."

The shooting sent shoppers and movie-goers scurrying for cover.

"My mom's friend, she was with me and we were going to get popcorn and we heard two gunshots," said Yesenia Erives, 11, of Kansas City, who had been watching the movie "The Invisible." "A worker from the theaters, he says to go back inside the theaters because there's this guy that shot some people."

Comments

kcredeye 6 years, 11 months ago

Around 15 years ago, a controversial "concealed- carry" law went into effect in the state of Florida. In a sharp break from the conventional wisdom of the time, that law allowed adult citizens to carry concealed firearms in public. Many people feared the law would quickly lead to disaster: blood would literally be running in the streets. Now, 10 years later, it is safe to say that those dire predictions were completely unfounded. Indeed, the debate today over concealed-carry laws centers on the extent to which such laws can actually reduce the crime rate.

To the shock and dismay of gun control proponents, concealed-carry reform has proven to be wildly popular among state lawmakers. Since Florida launched its experiment with concealed-carry in October 1987, 23 states have enacted similar laws, with positive results.

Prior to 1987, almost every state in America either prohibited the carrying of concealed handguns or permitted concealed-carry under a licensing system that granted government officials broad discretionary power over the decision to grant a permit. The key feature of the new concealed-carry laws is that the government must grant the permit as soon as any citizen can satisfy objective licensing criteria.

Concealed-carry reform reaffirms the basic idea that citizens have the right to defend themselves against criminal attack. And since criminals can strike almost anywhere at any time, the last thing government ought to be doing is stripping citizens of the most effective means of defending themselves. Carrying a handgun in public may not be for everyone, but it is a right that government ought to respect. Thankfully, the vast majority of states now issue concealed carry permits, to those who qualify and wish to have a means to defend themselves.

RonaldWilson 6 years, 11 months ago

You all are very good at slinging insults and rousing the rabble. I think the intention of the majority of the posters here is to run off anyone with a less than communist view of the world. I was correct insomuch as the person (yes, a LEO) that stopped the violence in KC Sunday did so with lethal force and potentially saved dozens of lives. For that statement I was called insensitive. I asked for clarification and was instead insulted. Fact is, guns save lives.

b_asinbeer 6 years, 11 months ago

You will ignore RonaldWilson no matter how idiotic his comments are

scenebooster 6 years, 11 months ago

"Armed, nonetheless."

That is a moronic post that pretty much invalidates your argument...

scenebooster 6 years, 11 months ago

"Are you afraid I might convert you? Or, are you afraid of frank discussion of issues?"

The fact of the matter, despite your best efforts to spin it, is that your original statement ("What do you want to bet he was taken out by a law-abiding concealed weapon permit holder and prevented from killing dozens more?") was wrong, wrong, wrong.

'The person who killed the shooter and stopped the dangerous nut was armed. "

Correct. WIth a badge and a gun. Otherwise known as "The Police".

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

Those "persons" you speak of are police officers.

RonaldWilson 6 years, 11 months ago

Here are the facts I have gathered as of 9 am. The shooter was nuts. Nutty people can be dangerous to themselves and others. The shooter's sister tried to have him commited. He wasn't nutty enough to commit. He was however still nutty enough to be dangerous. The three people he killed were unarmed victims. The person he tried to kill at the gas station that took two weapons away from him rendering him less dangerous was armed. The person who killed the shooter and stopped the dangerous nut was armed. Therefore, I do not want to be an unarmed victim.

RonaldWilson 6 years, 11 months ago

I have never and will never run for a political office. It doesn't pay enough.

porkchop 6 years, 11 months ago

I bet the shooter was from Topeka.

smitty 6 years, 11 months ago

Are you the Ron Wilson that ran for sheriff?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh... Ronald Wilson was wrong by the way. I should have taken him up on that bet.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes, and yes. The view from the right side is biased (practically by definition), and it is quite hilarious.

There is no Right side of life, but there is a right side of life, that's for sure.

This is fun! Word games!

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 11 months ago

Every view from the right side of life is 'bias' .........this is hilarious.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

"right_thinker (Anonymous) says:

And the anti-gunner left crowd doesn't do this every chance they get? Please spare me."

And was duly attacked for just that. Spare US your total inability (no sorry, unwillingness), to see past your own confirmation bias, RT.

smitty,

I have written no editorials.

smitty 6 years, 11 months ago

Wilson, you the man who wrote the editorial recently?

b_asinbeer 6 years, 11 months ago

What was the topic again? Oh yeah, the mall shooting.

I'll be interested to read in the coming days as to what exactly went on. From what I read in other sources, the cops stormed into the mall rather than waiting and coming up with a strategy to go in. Those cops sound like heroes to me...

RT,

I'm right there with you. We have to just keep speaking the truth and maybe it will sink in. Don't ever let their obnoxious behavior disgust or silence you. That's what they are trying to do. It kills them that we have as much access on this forum as they do. They will continue to read every one of our posts, even look forward to them. They will read them even if they don't respond to them. The best thing you can do to stop the epidemic is keep on telling them the truth.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 11 months ago

The plain truth is the left, far-left---whatever slot you want to place them in, are extremely emboldened, filled to the ears with hatred, mostly for GWB and conservatives, and have just slipped off the edge and sanity and reason are not traits that the left can claim--at this time.

I will talk with a liberal, but the majority of this forum is rabid, far-left haters and they are right and anyone in the opposition is wrong---period.

It disgusts me to no end.

I never donated to the Republican Party until this year. I will volunteer---whatever I can do to stop this far-left epidemic cold.

Silence_Dogood 6 years, 11 months ago

Ronald Wilson-First, you need to practice some basic comprehension skill and then a bit of close reading before you shoot off your mouth about "free speech" and "debating." When you learn how to read, a--hole, then come to me about debating. Tool. Second, you're an even bigger a--hole for using this section as a political forum.

America hates you. You too, "right"_thinker.

americorps,

Please enlighten me as to what was insensitive in my original post that prompted your input in this debate. This is what I posted. Go ahead and read it, even if its for the first time:

"RonaldWilson (Anonymous) says:

Do you find saving innocent lives in a lawful way insensitive? Do you find the citizenry protecting themselves and others insensitive? I can find the insensitive part there. Please respond. I bet you can't do it without a personal insult.

RonaldWilson 6 years, 11 months ago

As I said, they don't want to discuss or debate. They don't even know me but wiil insult me and refuse to engage me in discussion. Are you afraid I might convert you? Or, are you afraid of frank discussion of issues?

americorps 6 years, 11 months ago

ronaldwilson is disengenious at best, pretending his freedom of speech is being attacked when it was his lack of respect for the sensitivity some feel about recent violent death.

I have little patience and no time to waste having an open debate with people like that. Go right ahead and speak all you want ronaldwilson, I am just as happy skipping any post with your name on the top because I now know it will be a worthless post to me.

RT,

We have to engage the left with patience, yet be firm with the truth that they need to hear, not unilke dealing with children. Many of them do not reason any better than preschoolers so I keep that in mind when I encounter them. I don't mind their attempts to insult me, rather I see those attempts as evidence that I have presented salient opinions that they cannot refute or debunk. We cannot ask that the management reign in their attacks. We need the left to be themselves and speak up. Believe me, many people will see these posts and will understand which side offers debate and discussion and which side wants to fight and insult. Hence, my response to b_asinbeer.

b_asinbeer 6 years, 11 months ago

RonaldWilson--I don't question your right to free speech. There are quite a few idiots who post on the ljworld forums, and even though I may disagree with them, I applaud their right to speak their mind. I would HATE it if I couldn't speak my mind...that's what's so great about this country.

The only point I was trying to make is reserve your political opinions at least until all the facts are straight and at least a few hours (if not a day) has passed before jumping into a lively debate.

Other than that you're fine by me. Don't listen to right_thinker...I value opinions of others, he's just trying to put a spin on everything. That's why I never talk to him...it's like a child, the second you show attention, it encourages him to misbehave even more. ;o)

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 11 months ago

RonaldWilson, it does not matter if we're talking about this tragic event or more shops closing on Mass St. or a new library or a salamander or Dr. Tiller, the far-left that dominates this board does NOT want interference from anyone who does not espouse their views. I hate to have to say this on a story such as this, but I am fed up and was attacked by Tychoman on the LJW new design thread. I have had it with the far-left thinking this forum is here expressly for them to promote their agenda of hate and have and will contact LJW management until these bullies are under control.

Enough is enough.

paladin 6 years, 11 months ago

You can say that again. You can say that again.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 11 months ago

well update I just heard 4 dead including the gun man what a shame and waste of life.

RonaldWilson 6 years, 11 months ago

b_asinbeer, I apologize if my exercise of free speech offends you, but I want to encourage you to speak as often as possible. Reading your posts reminds us all why these debates are so important.

RonaldWilson 6 years, 11 months ago

29 April 2007 at 8:01 p.m.

Suggest removal

RonaldWilson (Anonymous) says:

b_asinbeer, I apologize if my exercise of free speech offends you, but I want to encourage you to speek as often as possible. Reading your posts reminds us all why these debates are so important.

That's 'speak'

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 11 months ago

"RonaldWilson2 innocent people lost their lives and you want to start a political debate again. You're an idiot. Spare us and be quiet for at least a day." Basinbeer

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 11 months ago

I heard taken alive but you know how the details are always changing so it's hard to tell until hours later. Sad all the way around just to sad.

b_asinbeer 6 years, 11 months ago

RonaldWilson---2 innocent people lost their lives and you want to start a political debate again. You're an idiot. Spare us and be quiet for at least a day.

newsreader 6 years, 11 months ago

actually he was killed by a KCMO police officer with a shotgun

OZ 6 years, 11 months ago

. . . Looks like another radical, right wing, hypocritical, X-tian extremist had a bad experience at his CULT meeting (church) today. . . . Who whould Jesus SHOOT? . . Praise CHEESES and TAX ALL CULTS ! ! ! . . .

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Man, this was my hangout spot as a kid. Crazy.