Archive for Thursday, April 26, 2007

The View’ will soon be less Rosie

April 26, 2007

— Her tenure short but hardly sweet, Rosie O'Donnell said Wednesday she will leave "The View" in June after less than a year of feuds, headlines and higher ratings for ABC.

This photo supplied by ABC shows Rosie O'Donnell, second from left, who announced Wednesday that she is leaving ABC's "The View," posing with her co-hosts on the show set in New York. From left are Barbara Walters, O'Donnell, Joy Behar and Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

The opinionated host said she and ABC couldn't agree on a new contract - she wanted one more year, ABC wanted to lock her up for three. So she decided to leave, although she will appear occasionally next season for things like a planned one-hour special on autism.

O'Donnell made more than $3 million for her season on "The View." ABC was willing to spend more to keep her, but wanted a three-year deal so it didn't have to worry about O'Donnell as a potential competitor. She could easily command her own talk show for much more money: She was making some $30 million a year before "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" shut down in 2002.

"It just didn't work," she said on the show Wednesday, "and that's show biz. But it's not sad because I loved it here and I love you guys and I'm not going away."

O'Donnell has helped increase the chat show's audience by about a half-million a day. But her outspokenness has caused continual controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed "The View" creator Barbara Walters squarely in the middle.

"We have had, to say the least, an interesting year," Walters said. But she said O'Donnell's exit is "not my doing or my choice."

Differing views

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communications awards luncheon.

Saying she was "very fond" of Murdoch, Walters pointed out that "Rosie's view is not always mine."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show - a claim Walters denied.

Trump quickly went on Fox News Channel on Wednesday to claim that O'Donnell was fired by ABC because of remarks made at the Women in Communications luncheon.

"Barbara's the happiest person in the world that Rosie's been fired," Trump said.

Cindi Berger, spokeswoman for both O'Donnell and Walters, denied Trump's claim, wondering how he would know what had happened in contract talks between O'Donnell and ABC.

Illustrating their dynamic, Walters blanched on Wednesday's show when O'Donnell teased her for complaining about blocked sidewalks near her home because of a visit by President Bush. The war, Hurricane Katrina, illegal wiretapping didn't bother her, "but put up a barricade near Barbara Walters' house and there's hell to pay!"

"The Rosie-Babs relationship is like Prince Charles and Princess Diana's - fascinating and rather horrifying to watch, but ultimately not really good for any of the principals involved," said Debby Waldman, a regular watcher of "The View" from Edmonton.

Rants draw ratings

Despite controversy - or maybe because of it - O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Through mid-April, "The View" has averaged 3.5 million viewers since O'Donnell joined, up 17 percent over the same period last year, according to Nielsen Media Research.

O'Donnell made headlines repeatedly for comments on "The View," and for testy exchanges with her more conservative partner, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

She criticized "American Idol" in January for airing humiliating auditions. "Isn't that what America thinks of entertainment? To make fun of someone's physical appearance. And when they leave the room, laugh hysterically at them. Three millionaires, one probably intoxicated."

She accused fellow ABC daytime host Kelly Ripa of making a homophobic remark, said "radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America" and has frequently been critical of President Bush. Asian-Americans and Catholics also have seethed over her remarks.

Comments

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm so sad this is a sad day for America.......NOT!!

prioress 7 years, 9 months ago

Why would anyone watch the show in the first place?

bmwjhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

lmm 7 years, 9 months ago

Trump is awful. He IS looking for a job for his daughter...........

Bill Chapman 7 years, 9 months ago

Rosie is nothing more than the television version of a radio "shock jock". She may or may not actually research the topics she talks about, but I don't care - she interrupts others when they disagree with her, she is annoying in how she states her opinion, and seems to enjoy pissing other people off. This does not contribute to anything other than causing discord among others. The one time she did "entertain" me was when she backed out of being the K-Mart spokesperson because K-Mart sold guns. Looking back, I believe she signed the contract and then backed out just to cause publicity for the anti-gun groups and herself. She HAD to known that K-Mart sold guns (mostly shotguns and some rifles, NO hand guns that I was aware of) before signing the contract, I have seen (and heard) ads - newspaper, television, and radio that had guns for sale in them.

acg 7 years, 9 months ago

I can't stand Rosie at all, so I'm not at all sad to see her go. But then again I have a job and can't sit around watching the View each morning so I don't care one way or the other, except that Rosie makes news and her attitude grosses me out. She's tacky, loud, obnoxious and rude. You know, kind of like that air bag Rush and that moron O'Reilly. I don't have a the stomach for any of them, regardless of their message or whether or not I agree. I can form an opinion about something without talking heads hollering at me about it.

50YearResident 7 years, 9 months ago

Rosie is the best thing for birth control ever devised.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 9 months ago

Trump predicted it accurately. Here's his quote from January 4th: "She'll (Barbara Walters) get rid of Rosie. There's no question in my mind, and I hope you save this clip because, eventually, Rosie will be gone from 'The View.' Rosie is a very negative force."

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, 75x55, I work all weekend, so I have days off during the week. Everyone doesn't have a 9-5 job, Mon.-Fri.

But I don't watch The View. I used to, back in their beginning days. It seemed better then, but I don't think it was the hosts. I think it was the topics.

Personally, I don't care a whit one way or the other. Rosie is just like every other celebrity. I personally have never understood all the interest in Paris Hilton or Brittney Spears, either.

BigAl 7 years, 9 months ago

Without Rosie, what will O'Reilly talk about every night? Oh wait, he still has Alec Baldwin and he can always go back to his nightly coverage of Anna Nicole Smith.

I put Rosie and O'Reilly in the same category. Tabloid TV Personalities.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

Ah, but Rosie isn't considered part of a "news" agency...

(heavy sarcasm here)

lunacydetector 7 years, 9 months ago

does she have a man in her life? i heard she's starting a show on the lesbian lifetime channel, but i thought i heard she's romantically involved with alec baldwin. didn't he recently refer to her as a big fat pig? oh, maybe...is she his daughter or something? too much in the news to keep track these days. i know she was called "big fat pig" by somebody. oh, i called her a big fat pig because she is a bonified bigot.

lunacydetector 7 years, 9 months ago

Dambudzo, i think you're right. wasn't she married to tom arnold, poor guy. arnold was the name of the pig on Green Acres too.

lunacydetector 7 years, 9 months ago

the "Alternative lifestyles" section, or is that in the Kansan?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

She was also in the movie, "A League of Their Own", with Tom Hanks.

Not that it has anything to do with this...just a bit of useless trivia...

Madonna was in that movie, too...

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 9 months ago

The only one worth watching on The View is Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Otherwise, who cares.

BigAl 7 years, 9 months ago

Posted by blue73harley (anonymous) on April 26, 2007 at 10:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Dambudzo - Entertainment Tonight has been covering the Rosie/Donald feud in agonizing detail. Almost as much as the Anna Nichole debacle. The Anna coverage reminds me of Chevy Chase giving the news on Saturday Night Live - "Our top story tonight: Generallissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. "

I don't know about Entertainment Tonight but FOX News has been covering this in the same agonizing detail. Except on FOX, they cover this on all of their shows, not just one show. And if you haven't had enough of Rosie, they toss out an episode or two on Anna Nicole and/or Alec Baldwin.

You make my point for me. FOX News has become just like Entertainment Tonight. They are both tabloid type television. Might as well pick up a National Equirer at the check out counter.

Godot 7 years, 9 months ago

I think it was Roseanne Barr, not Rosie O'Donnell, who was married to Tom Arnold. I can see how you would get the two mixed up, though.

So, Rosie the comedienne exposes her truly ugly personality to the point that it will be hard for anyone to watch her without having those vile images come to mind, so she can't do comedy anymore, and probably won't be able to be hired as an actress.

Do not worry, she says she will be back with specials on autism and depression.

That will be fun to watch. Can't wait.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 9 months ago

Obnoxious Moonpig. Got herself fired from "The View" Trump must be laughing.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 9 months ago

Check out her phenomenal acting skills in these clips from her Hallmark movie "Riding the Bus With My Sister"

On second thought, I can't tell if she's acting or if it's the real deal.