Archive for Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Valley Falls man recovering from gunshot wound

Accident occurs during turkey hunt

April 18, 2007

A Valley Falls man who accidentally shot himself Tuesday night was listed in fair condition today at Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center in Topeka.

Bryan J. Tillery, 43, was hunting turkeys about 8 p.m. Tuesday in a field in the 1550 block of Blue Mound Road when he tripped on his 12-gauge shotgun, according to Sgt. Jerry Greene, a Jefferson County Sheriff's detective.

When the shotgun went off, pellets struck Tillery in the left chest area, his neck and his face, according to a sheriff's report.

Greene said Tillery was transported by a Life Star helicopter ambulance from the scene. The area is northwest of Valley Falls, Greene said.

Comments

trinity 7 years, 8 months ago

let me guess...was cheney his huntin' partner?

on a more serious note-here's hoping this guy makes a speedy&full recovery! poor guy.

avoice 7 years, 8 months ago

It's kind of ironic that the top story is Boyda saying no additional gun control is needed and there is this and the story about the guy who got shot in the back at a hip-hop concert in February. Something sure seems kinda out of control here.

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

How would gun control help somebody who tripped over his shot gun? That's just clumsy! If you going to lay the thing down, be smart enough to take the shell out of the chamber.

kmat 7 years, 8 months ago

The problem isn't the guns, it's that many gun owners are morons that shouldn't own one.

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

"How would gun control help somebody who tripped over his shot gun?"

If one had better control over the gun during the fall, any misfire would be directed away from the person.

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

LOL! I enjoyed that version of "gun control"

homechanger 7 years, 8 months ago

And think about how powerful turkey loads are, he is lucky to be alive. Hope he decides to take hunter saftey again, he could use it.

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

This man is a very experienced hunter and outdoorsman and has many, many years of experience with guns. He is a very responsible and together guy. I don't, yet, know what happened, exactly, or how badly he is hurt, but this accident is out of character for him. Best wishes, Bryan. My prayers go out to you and your family. May God bless you all with His mercy, grace, and love.

FreetoBe47 7 years, 8 months ago

Countrygirl,

Duh, that is why it is called an accident. Get it???

Angie Dick 7 years, 8 months ago

Ok.. This hits home with me.. This person is my relation.. He has been a hunter for many years and know's all about gun safety!! No one on here know's all the facts of what really happened.. I suggest Don't poke fun, if you don't no. What part of being shot like that is funny?? Did anyone stop to think that he may a family? I hate to be rude like this but ooo it isn't right folks.. Please keep your negitive remarks to your self. By the grace of God.. I beleive he will pull through.. He's a pretty tough soul.. Please remember we are not talking about some goof off the streets, we are talking about a wonderful person.. I hope when he gets all better he spit's some chew in your eye for being so rude!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

reading these posts you'd think we're in the company of gods...who never have accidents!

hope the fellow shot something besides himself. get well soon.

Angie Dick 7 years, 8 months ago

How do you know that the safety wasn't on?? See like I said no the facts. Damn it regaurdless of the facts of what took place.. I have a family member in the hospital with life threatning injury's.. Can anyone have a heart and just pray for him vereses talking smack???