Archive for Thursday, April 12, 2007

Police investigating alcohol as wreck’s cause

April 12, 2007

Lawrence police are investigating alcohol as a cause of a Saturday morning accident near Haskell Avenue and 19th Street where the driver said he "blacked out" before striking another vehicle head-on.

According to an accident report released Wednesday, officers are investigating driver, Cole Kilburn, 19, Lawrence, for driving his vehicle under the influence of alcohol. An independent witness said Kilburn told him he had been drinking the night before and that he blacked out when he struck the northbound vehicle, driven by Wilma Ridgway, 72, Lawrence, on Haskell Avenue.

According to the report, test results are pending.

Kilburn, Ridgway and passenger Willard Ridgway, 75, were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after the 11 a.m. accident Saturday, and all three were treated and released.

Comments

sissezz 7 years ago

I saw the wreck right after it happened .it was not a pretty site. I did however take the time to show my son (who just got his learning permitt) what can happen in the "blink of the eye" accidents just don't happen on the highway or at night. Terrible, terrible accident.

nutcase 7 years ago

Kornphlake, if you are correct, he should not be driving. Further then some criminal negligence charges should be filed.

pagan_idolator 7 years ago

Introversion - as the mother of 3 adult sons I can assure you that I am not surprised he can get alcohol. I just think the police should try to follow up on where he got his hands on it IF he was drinking and not having a migraine issue. I spotted my own underage nephew (17) having a brewski in one of our local bars. I confronted him and learned he didnt have a fake ID he was just never asked for one. I narced him out ( I know - so uncool) and the bartender just shrugged his shoulders but at least quit serving him. Bar owners need to pay attention. Of course he could have gotten alcohol at many other places besides a bar. 19 year olds are persistent little turds when it comes to partying.

promitida 7 years ago

If this is a known problem, why the heck does he have a license?

Kornphlake 7 years ago

Dear Journal World, please do a little fact checking before you print slanderous stories such as this. The driver suffers from severe migrane headaches that cause him to occasionally blackout. But you wouldn't care because your independent witness (police officer) said he was drinking the night before. I do feel sorry for the older couple, and the gentleman was taken to KU Med. But there doesn't always have to be a devil. The world isn't always black and white, sometimes there is alot of gray. This is one of those times. If the tests come back positive, then you are right. But if they don't, are you going to apologise to Cole for putting him out there like that?

leadrain 7 years ago

I wonder how many near-misses this guy's had prior to finally striking something. It's not what you do, it's what you can get away with. This guy's luck just ran out. Spooky to think of , huh>

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Yes and the old folks were driving a full sized AMERICAN CAR, not some little FAKE CAR made in a country with an unpronounceable name!

This is, of course, why they survived this accident.

Geo Metro drivers take note.

Thanks.

Marion.

introversion 7 years ago

Let's not forget that we were all 19 at one point and all have likely felt invincible right around that age. As for where he got the alcohol, if it's a surprise to you that 19 year old kids can get their hands on booze, then there's a problem.

I'm not saying anything that happened was good or ok, but lets get off the high horse, no?

promitida 7 years ago

Unfortunately, Kilborn doing this does not surprise me at all. Thank the Lord that the couple was not killed. I hope that he learns a lesson from this, but he probably won't.

pagan_idolator 7 years ago

WHY why why do children this age think they are invincible?? My 20 something sons cannot figure out why I sit around and worry myself to pieces about them. Chucknoblet is right. The elderly couple's lives are ruined. Even without existing medical problems it takes alot more to mend when you're elderly. I hope this CHILD learned a lesson. BTW - where did he get his liquor???

JoRight 7 years ago

So wait, he "blacked out" b/c of the alcohol? Was he hungover from the night before and not feeling well, or was he just sh*tfaced drunk @ 11 a.m. If it was the latter, then all I can say is wow, 11 a.m. is some sort of feat.

chucknoblet 7 years ago

Yes, the elderly couple WAS released from LMH, so they could be immediately transported to KU Med Center INTENSIVE CARE! Their lives are ruined! There will be months, if not years, of recovery and rehabilitation. Especially the wife. She's already had several surgeries.

Ragingbear 7 years ago

Bad boy. Commit another 12 and we will throw you in jail for a week!