Archive for Thursday, April 12, 2007

Better growth

April 12, 2007

To the editor:

I hope the new Lawrence city commissioners will provide a better quality of life for all the people of Lawrence.

I grew up in Lawrence. I watched Lawrence become a sprawling suburb. Growth is good; sprawl is not. There is a difference!

I was disillusioned by the type of growth in Lawrence, which compelled me to complete a master's degree in urban planning at Kansas University.

In September, my husband took a job in Boulder, Colo. We considered not living in town because of the high cost of living. We have since bought a house in Boulder and are relieved. Boulder is well planned and has a high quality of life. How so?

There are four feasible transportation choices: a great bus system, walking, biking and, of course, the private automobile. My family uses all four options.

Despite higher traffic volume in Boulder, I find it easy to get around by car because of access management.

My husband bikes three miles to work and never crosses a road. There are bicycle underpasses to his office. We can bike downtown four miles by path and never cross a road.

I walk safely by way of an underpass, with my 2-year-old, to the grocery store, bank, and branch library in the neighborhood center.

Also, Boulder has an interconnected park system that preserves riparian areas and protects water quality.

Why is Boulder such a costly place to live? Supply and demand ... there isn't enough. Build more cities like it!

Erin Paden,

Boulder, Colo.

Comments

Michael Capra 7 years, 4 months ago

lets see 2bdr 1ba 500.000 who can afford that can you merrill or are we busing in all the labor to to work here

Michael Capra 7 years, 4 months ago

dont forget this is what place makers wants to do to lawrence ks///boulder col smart growth I cant afford this who can.Anybody

Ragingbear 7 years, 4 months ago

Well, why don't you stay there? Because if you think that Boulder, with it's pollution, idiotically laid out roads and people that all act as if they have too many heavy metals in there water, then we don't want you here.

Michael Capra 7 years, 4 months ago

she must know merrill same agenda

Noweigh 7 years, 4 months ago

Check out prices on anything in Boulder. Not bad if both spouses have nice, cushy white collars jobs. It's another place that has been priced out of the reach of "real people" thanks to the ivory-tower types rule the roost. I hope Lawrence never, ever becomes Boulder. And Ragingbear is absolutely right on the pollution and roads there.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence could do a lot of what Erin mentioned concerning transportation for a lot less money than what was spent in Boulder.

Biking and walking are easily done in Lawrence. From the center of dowtown a mile and a half(15-20 blocks) in any direction can be accomplished in 20-30 minutes by walking depending on the pace. Bringing out the bicycles puts anywhere in Lawrence within a reasonable time frame.

Lawrence and Boulder are compared often but can be different as night and day.

• Lawrence likely will not have high wages such that Boulder does although it is relative

• People in Lawrence do not spend their money the same as in Boulder. For instance all but three major grocery stores in Boulder are natural food stores

• Lawrence does not have the rocky mountains, ski opportunities and wonderful summer weather as in Boulder.

Jamesaust 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow.

So this letter's author and her hubby used their resources of wealth to outbid all the ordinary people who might otherwise have bought into the scarce housing market of Boulder (and forced the poor out of town). Now they find their exclusive "private reserve" for the wealthy to be a paradise.

Lawrence could do this too. Get the sheriff to run out all the riff-raff with household incomes below, say, $200k and image the Disney-like "pleasure dome" that would be Our Fair City!

BorderRat 7 years, 4 months ago

The only good thing to come out of Boulder was Mork and Mindy.

blackwalnut 7 years, 4 months ago

The sprawl on South Iowa and west of Wakarusa has done nothing to make Lawrence a more desirable place to live.

I dread seeing more of the same.

altarego 7 years, 4 months ago

"... not one of you pro-sprawlers has ever been able to give me a example of how the sprawl of the last 20 years has improved my quality of life as a Lawrence resident. "

If you lack the vision enough to see the value in having a local Hooters rather than driving all the way to KC or Topeka (27 mieither way), then I can't convince you of it. I do, however, want to thank you for all the sacrifices you have made that enable me to put a roof over my family's head. Thank you, thank you, thank you. In return, I promise not to clutter your downtown with my traffic.

planfan 7 years, 4 months ago

There is a difference between growth and sprawl. One problem here is lack of knowledge about what the difference.

What has driven up prices in Boulder. People like the TYPE of growth.

Also, supply and demand... in a market economy if something is in high demand doesn't it make sense to supply more of it that's what drives prices down. Boulder keeps going up in price because it is so wanted. Yes the prices in Boulder are unfortunate!!!!!!!! But what if all cities, or at least more were built like it. 1) Boulder would cease to go up in price and other cities would stay reasonable because supply would keep up with demand!!!! Think about it.

Godot 7 years, 4 months ago

"What has driven up prices in Boulder. People like the TYPE of growth"

There is no growth in Boulder. It was planned that way.